Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Hi all,

I got the following question ( and i don t know if i m in the right topic, but I couldn t find a better one... )

Well, I was / actually i am still interested in the 17 '' PB, but first of all, the ( at least for me / student ) high price, made me think of buying a 15 '' PB. And now, I m thinking of buying the 12 inch PB, as it offers best portability and is the lowest in price. But my problem is the following, i don t know if I will be able to work "smoothly" with dreamweaver, and flash and so on. And, i wonder if the keyboard is good, or if i have to attach an external one to be able to type some larger texts comfortably.

Anybody got some statements to do ?
TIA.

P.s. What about the 800 mhz g4. is the calculating power much inferior to the one of the g4 @ 1000 mhz and with l3 cache?

P.p.s These are perhaps all stupid questions, but, i don t own a mac at the moment, and if i decide, it will me my notebook for lets say the next 3 to 4 years, that means it should be running panther and perhaps even the following release of os x without to much problems. I will not do any video editing, but wil certainly listen to music.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
The native resolution of the screen is 1024x768, so as far as work space goes, you have a pretty standard amount. You need to go see one and just see if the text is too small for you eyes. The keyboard is wonderful. I played with one last week. By far the finest keyboard on a laptop i have ever felt. Its just as fast as a 800 mhz titanium. It has the benifits of DDR. Plus bluetooth and airport extreme. Its a very worthy machine and i wouldnt hesitate a second to get one.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Perhaps once more a stupid question, but what about age'ing?
In the pc world, the computer gets slower everytime you get a new os. Will this happen the same way in the apple world? Because if so, i d better go to get max cpu power -> perhaps 1ghz.

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
Originally posted by maradong
Perhaps once more a stupid question, but what about age'ing?
In the pc world, the computer gets slower everytime you get a new os. Will this happen the same way in the apple world? Because if so, i d better go to get max cpu power -> perhaps 1ghz.

if the difference in speed needed from OS 9 to OS X is any indication, then i would say that you should go for as much speed as you can afford.

also if you are not going to do G4 intensive stuff, why not save 500 dollars and go with as combo drive ibook? same screen same res. but 500 dollars cheaper. both capable machines, but frankly i think you would be wasting your money on the G4.

If memory serves me correctly the Powerbook line is for the professional who needs the speed etc, for like photochop and FCP, video editing, digital whatever. If all you want to do is listen to music and regular user stuff like iPhoto and Tunes, then why not save 500 big ones and go with the iBook?

Just a thought.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I bought the 12 inch PB a few weeks back because I travel a lot for work and portability was key. I had to decide btw the PB and Ibook. the deciding facotr was the keyboard. Very, very good. I have some experience with my friend's 15-inch PB and my keyboard is much better, I think.

MacBoy88

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Illinois
Airport?

If Airport means something to you, go for the 12" iBook, then the 12" AlBook, then the 17" AlBook, And LASTLY the 15" TiBook, because Airport on the TiBook SUCKS BIG TIME.

I have an 800MHz iBook and love everything on it, PLUS it is more rugged! (since you are a student, It will prob. be going into your backpack)

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: Airport?

Originally posted by MacBoy88
If Airport means something to you, go for the 12" iBook, then the 12" AlBook, then the 17" AlBook

This may be true, but the 12-inch PB can use airport extreme, while the ibook can't. My airport extreme reception has been fine.

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
i still think that all around, you cannot beat the combo ibook for 1300, best of both worlds. a lot of power, good price, nice feel and design and good airport range, plus it is a lot more durable.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Hm, i think i ll buy the 12 '' than... It s an investement for the next years, so better spend some more money reight now than buying a whole new system in 2 years time again.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
get the 12 inch powerbook. a very nice machine. i get to play with all the apple laptops (and desktops) and take the powerbook over the ibook. the powerbook just has so many better features than the ibook. better keyboard, smaller design, better airport, doesnt scatch as easily, faster ram, faster bus, faster processor, better processor, faster hd bus, bluetooth, faster combo drive, superdrive, up to a gig of ram (if you want to spend about 800 dollars), video spanning. thats about it. i use it with photoshop, golive, illustrator, keynote, fce, and many other programs and i dont notice it being slow, and i also have a dual 1.25 so when it comes to speeds on the powerbook i do not have low standards.

iJon

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
You'll be happy with the 12"

It's more rugged than the iBook, being made of aluminum. It's G4 will not be as obsolete as the iBook's G3 in a couple of years, and although it doesn't have L3 cache, it's probably fast enough for what you're going to do.

The keyboard is great, and I personally like the screen. You can also hook up a second monitor, and have dual displays.

While it doesn't have PCMCIA slots or firewire 800, the 802.11g and built in bluetooth, along with the current firewire 400, video out, audio in, nVidia graphics (although not top of the line, beter than the iBook's) and super drive (on the high end model) are enough to keep it being obsolete in a year. I have a late 2001 model iBook too, and it still runs fine, and it's only a 600mhz G3 with a combo drive, but this PowerBook will last much longer.

I just love my 12" PowerBook.

BTW, if you're going to be burning lots of CD's, go for the combo drive, not the super drive. The super drive, while able to burn CD's, is as slow as molasses.

Trust me, if you want it to last for a couple of years, go for the PowerBook. It doesn't scratch as easily as the iBook, the iBook's already underpowered video card will be even more underpowered in a year or two (trust me on this one), it's G3 architecture just isn't as fast as the G4 with more and more alti-vec enhanced apps coming out each day, and the feel of the computer is so much better. It's lighter, has built in 802.11g, bluetooth, a solid keyboard, and everything you could ask for in a small, compact laptop.

Go with the 12" PowerBook if you have the money, I know you won't regret it.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
K so I will go for the 12'' Powerbook,
but what exactly are the burning speeds with the
superdrive and the combo cd for cd burning? I ll certainly burn some cd s but am interested in holding me the opportunity to burn dvds. If the speed for cd burning with the superdrive is really to slow, i will nevertheless go for the combo.

? Is it possible, just as with pc s, to flash the bios of the cd burner, to get the max speed out of it? -> fi from 16x to 24x. This will not rouine the cd, but will burn about a minute faster.

thanks for the help.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by maradong
K so I will go for the 12'' Powerbook,
but what exactly are the burning speeds with the
superdrive and the combo cd for cd burning? I ll certainly burn some cd s but am interested in holding me the opportunity to burn dvds. If the speed for cd burning with the superdrive is really to slow, i will nevertheless go for the combo.

? Is it possible, just as with pc s, to flash the bios of the cd burner, to get the max speed out of it? -> fi from 16x to 24x. This will not rouine the cd, but will burn about a minute faster.

thanks for the help.
i think the superdrive just burns at 8x and the combo burns at 24x. you cant flash it or goofy stuff like that, they are two different drives and those are those speeds. if you want to burn dvds and burn cds fast get the superdrive powerbook and then buy a 52x lacie drive firewire.

iJon

iJon

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
ok, thx for the help, i ll go to a local reseller, to check if the resolution is ok, that means, if i can read the text wihout any problems @ the max resolution.

By the way, the PB 12'' hasn t got the aptitude to check the environnement light, and to adjust the brightness of the screen , right ?

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
Originally posted by G4scott
You'll be happy with the 12"

It's more rugged than the iBook, being made of aluminum. It's G4 will not be as obsolete as the iBook's G3 in a couple of years, and although it doesn't have L3 cache, it's probably fast enough for what you're going to do.

The keyboard is great, and I personally like the screen. You can also hook up a second monitor, and have dual displays.

While it doesn't have PCMCIA slots or firewire 800, the 802.11g and built in bluetooth, along with the current firewire 400, video out, audio in, nVidia graphics (although not top of the line, beter than the iBook's) and super drive (on the high end model) are enough to keep it being obsolete in a year. I have a late 2001 model iBook too, and it still runs fine, and it's only a 600mhz G3 with a combo drive, but this PowerBook will last much longer.

I just love my 12" PowerBook.

BTW, if you're going to be burning lots of CD's, go for the combo drive, not the super drive. The super drive, while able to burn CD's, is as slow as molasses.

Trust me, if you want it to last for a couple of years, go for the PowerBook. It doesn't scratch as easily as the iBook, the iBook's already underpowered video card will be even more underpowered in a year or two (trust me on this one), it's G3 architecture just isn't as fast as the G4 with more and more alti-vec enhanced apps coming out each day, and the feel of the computer is so much better. It's lighter, has built in 802.11g, bluetooth, a solid keyboard, and everything you could ask for in a small, compact laptop.

Go with the 12" PowerBook if you have the money, I know you won't regret it.

note to this guy:

if you value the ability to ever have children, then just remember that aluminum is going to get much much hotter then plastic down there, think a bout that. :rolleyes:

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Hmm,

I own a 1GHZ PB ti w/superdrive, ROCKS is all I can say, but looks a little dated against the 12" and the yet to be seen 17". The ibook seems to be the best value for money, but the 12" seems to be the better investment for the future. How many people actually use their laptops actually on their laps? Usually used on a table somewhere outside of the home or on an Aero plane tray. BUT have seem a few owners lounging on a couch in a star bucks somewhere in the developed world.

Anyway my PB only seems to get hot when its really pushed. Writing emails its pretty cool, is that the same with the new PBs?

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg

note to this guy:

if you value the ability to ever have children, then just remember that aluminum is going to get much much hotter then plastic down there, think a bout that. :rolleyes:

I m just 19, so there shouldn t be any problems, not thinking of getting childern already. :)

Hmm,

I own a 1GHZ PB ti w/superdrive, ROCKS is all I can say, but looks a little dated against the 12" and the yet to be seen 17". The ibook seems to be the best value for money, but the 12" seems to be the better investment for the future. How many people actually use their laptops actually on their laps? Usually used on a table somewhere outside of the home or on an Aero plane tray. BUT have seem a few owners lounging on a couch in a star bucks somewhere in the developed world.

Anyway my PB only seems to get hot when its really pushed. Writing emails its pretty cool, is that the same with the new PBs?
So I will go definetly for the powerbook. I will all tell you when i got it. But i m off to london till next sunday, when i m back i ll throw an eye on it in a shop, and if it seems ok, i ll buy one immediatly.

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
note to this guy:

if you value the ability to ever have children, then just remember that aluminum is going to get much much hotter then plastic down there, think a bout that

Does everyone think that this is a legitimate concern? I sit around w/ my 12" on my lap all the time...in fact, i'm sitting my car right now typing this waiting for a buddy to meet me at work. Whats the deal, will my love for my powerbook hamper my future ability to "love" later in life?

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by daniel77
note to this guy:

I don't use my PowerBook like that :eek: :eek: :eek: :cool:

It gets warm, but when it's on my lap, it's usually under battery power, and I have it set to where it can stay cool. I usually have it on a desk when it's plugged in. The heat is not an issue to me.

I see the heat as the mere side effect of having so much more in a smaller case... Besides, aluminum is way cooler than plastic (I don't mean this temperature wise, but if you leave your PowerBook in a cold spot with an iBook, and they're both off or asleep, the PowerBook will be cooler...)

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Anybody got an idea which resolution the 15'' PB will get?
I really don t know, but perhaps, if the resolution is much highter, I will buy also a 15'' one, as a default working pc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.