PDA

View Full Version : FS: 1ghz Powerbook + Other Systems, Brand Spankin' New =)

MacLover
Mar 30, 2003, 08:52 PM
Hi all,
I can get 1ghz powerbooks for very cheap through a friend of mine at Apple, and I can pass the savings on to you. If you're worried about the security of the transaction, I am willing to set up escrow and full insurance. Save over $800 by buying through me.

Apple 1 ghz Powerbook: $2,799 at Apple Store ($3,106 with tax)

I'm selling this item for $2,299!! (OBO)

E-mail me if you're interested, or if you're interested in any other Apple items (Desktops, laptops, LCDs, iPods, etc.)

autumnserendipity@yahoo.com

MacAztec
Mar 30, 2003, 09:15 PM
Are you talking about the Apple Developer store? I dont see any other way you could get a good deal and make a profit on it.

How much are the 20GB iPods?

MacLover
Mar 30, 2003, 09:34 PM
No, its not ADC. I can sell the 867 and 1ghz Powerbooks for below ADC pricing because my friend works at Apple. The biggest discounts I can get are on systems, not accessories. 20gb iPod for $449.

MacAztec
Mar 30, 2003, 11:35 PM
How much is a SP 1GHz? What about a Dual 867 Refurb?

MacLover
Mar 30, 2003, 11:55 PM
Here are some other configurations:

1) 12-inch powerbook Combo + Airport Extreme Card + 3 yr. AppleCare Warranty: $1,921 brand new ($500 savings).

2) I can offer the 867mhz 15-inch powerbook for the same price as this configured 12-inch. $1,921 ($550+ savings)

3) the 1ghz 15-inch is going for $2,229, which is a phenomenal deal. ($800 savings)

4) 17-inch Powerbook for $3169 ($385 savings)

5) Power Mac G4 - 1.42ghz + Apple 17" Flat Panel + 3 yr. AppleCare: $3,153 ($776 savings) [$2787.45 without the LCD]

6) PowerMac G4 - 1.25ghz + Apple 17" Flat Panel + 3 yr. Applecare - $2,499 ($676 savings) [$2189 without the LCD]

7) PowerMac G4 - 1.0ghz + Apple 17" Flat Panel + 3 yr. Applecare - $2,292 ($344 savings)

wsteineker
Mar 31, 2003, 01:01 AM
I saw this one over at Spymac, too. I'm very interested in purchasing a PowerBook, but you'll forgive me if I feel a little funny about getting it from you. I'm really not trying to be mean, but maybe you could provide us all with some references or something. Maybe a better explanation of how exactly this works. Again, I'm not trying to bust your balls. I genuinely hope this is for real, as that price is INSANE! It's just that all three of your posts on this board are in this thread. I'm sure you understand, man. Thanks! :)

Abstract
Mar 31, 2003, 02:30 AM
Yeah no offense, but I agree. If you were a long-time regular here, then I would be more inclined to purchase from you, but you want people to purchase something off a complete stranger? And to add insult to injury, but we're not even dealing with you in person, but over the internet. Seriously, I would love to get a 12" PB for that price, but I don't want to pay you, wait for 2 weeks, wait for an extra 5 weeks, and finally realize that I just lost $1921 dollars to someone who told me that he was legit. ;)

MacLover
Mar 31, 2003, 10:53 AM
Your concerns are understandable, I mean NO ONE wants to lose their hard-earned money. It's pretty simple how it works, my friend offers me these packages, and I mark up the prices a bit to sell them.

That's why I said I'm willing to do an ESCROW transaction for your peace of mind.

If you don't know how escrow works, they serve as a third party to keep the transaction safe for both parties. You pay the escrow company, and they hold onto the money while I ship the computer to you. Once you recieve the computer and give the okay, the escrow company will then pay me.

That makes it totally safe. I understand how people are worried about e-bay resellers and stuff who rip people off, but that's because they do straight up money transactions or bank wires without any escrow or anything to protect them. If you are interested, contact me and we can set up an escrow transaction and you will be assured that your money is safe. Okay?

jeremy.king
Mar 31, 2003, 11:10 AM
You sure your friend works for apple and not some theft rings? Can you gaurantee these aren't stolen machines? Would you provide serial nums before sale?

I find it hard to believe that even apple employees get those setups that cheap. Any other apple employees out there that can vouch for these prices?

Just wondering...

MacLover
Mar 31, 2003, 11:29 AM
Wow, some people are hilarious. No, they're not stolen for gods sake! Yeesh, unbelievable. I understand a certain amount of skepticism, but do you really think I have connections to a secret underground Apple theft ring? Get real, that belongs on the "Crazy Apple Rumors" site. :p

Listen, this is what I'm offering, and I'm willing to go through escrow or whatever else you would like to protect your money. If you don't believe me, fine, I don't really care, just don't post to bash me.

Grimace
Mar 31, 2003, 11:53 AM
How is the 17" price you quote going to save anyone money?

The regular price is $3299.00. The ADC price is 2639.00 - you want over $3100???

Grimace
Mar 31, 2003, 12:00 PM
Also, you prices for the 12" PB don't compare. Why pay you $1921 when ADC configured the same way is $1867?

Your 15" 1GHz price is only $10 cheaper than the Apple ADC price - I would prefer to splurge $10 to buy from an actual company.

The 1.42GHz with LCD monitor is $2967 with ADC, not the $3100 price tag you are looking for.

The 1.25GHz is $92 cheaper and the 1.0Ghz is also $285 cheaper with ADC.

Thanks for the *great* deals...

Also, related to other posts regarding Ebay, if you know how to buy on Ebay, you will not be ripped off. It's customers who buy from unreliable/first time sellers who get ripped off. Do 30 seconds of research on the seller, and you'll be just fine. Check out their feedback rating. Here is an example:

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=carletonmusic

dabirdwell
Mar 31, 2003, 12:29 PM
People steal feedback profiles on EBay all the time. EBay is one shady organization.

BTW if this turns out legit, put me down for an 867 15".

MacLover
Mar 31, 2003, 02:36 PM
Regarding the pricing:

First of all, I'm well-aware of ADC pricing.
1) You're not including the $99 membership fee that you have to pay. So tack on $99 to a (one-time only) ADC purchase.
2) You still have to pay TAX, which can range from 5-11.47% depending on what state you live in. When you buy a desktop or laptop, that can be a good $300 depending on what you buy and where you live.

So IT IS a savings over ADC pricing once you include the memership fees and taxes. In addition, not everyone is eligible for ADC pricing because not everyone is a college student who does programming. Don't be so quick to flame irrationally.

wsteineker
Mar 31, 2003, 03:51 PM
MacLover has a point with the ADC prices. I don't want to throw the $99 for an ADC membership, as I don't actually write software. Moreover, that's a one time discount. Sucks to burn it right up front when these prices are here.

MacLover, just one question. How long will these prices be available. I won't be able to buy until next month when my grant comes in for the semester. Will the offers still stand?

MacLover
Mar 31, 2003, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the post wsteineker. I'm not sure how long these will be available. Some of these are limited specials (which is why some of the prices are so low), so I'm not sure if I can offer this next month, depending on the system. I would like to say that I can though, just e-mail me when you get a chance.

wsteineker
Mar 31, 2003, 05:58 PM
Will do, man. I'll be in touch. In case you're wondering what convinced me, it was the escrow. Good stuff. :)

MacAztec
Mar 31, 2003, 09:18 PM
Make sure the man does NOT try to use EscrowGold. Or eGold. EscrowGold is a fraud website.

Why dont you just do COD. Thats the safest way.

Kwyjibo
Mar 31, 2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec
Make sure the man does NOT try to use EscrowGold. Or eGold. EscrowGold is a fraud website.

Why dont you just do COD. Thats the safest way.

are you being sarcastic? didn't they guy who cuaght the pworbook theif use COD.

MacLover, what escrow site are you willing to use. I would like to look into the escrow service before i consider it further.

MacLover
Mar 31, 2003, 09:34 PM
You can choose whatever escrow service you wish, so that you can have the peace of mind that your money is safe. You can use COD too if you want.

Personally, I've heard good things about escrow.com, but I reccomend that you shop around to find the best rate along with a reputable company.

MacAztec
Mar 31, 2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
are you being sarcastic? didn't they guy who cuaght the pworbook theif use COD.

MacLover, what escrow site are you willing to use. I would like to look into the escrow service before i consider it further.

No, I am not being sarcastic. If you get paid with cash, your fine. And who would be getting jipped IF anyone? The seller, not you.

Kwyjibo
Mar 31, 2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec
No, I am not being sarcastic. If you get paid with cash, your fine. And who would be getting jipped IF anyone? The seller, not you.

cod is not jsut cash, If rmembered correctly the guy was passing fake money orders thru a cod system. I'm jsut saying ntohing is poerfect. It is cool that you accept any escrow service.

wsteineker
Mar 31, 2003, 11:49 PM
I have to say that MacLover seems to be on the up and up with all of this. I'll be in touch with him as soon as my grant check comes in, and that's a promise. :)

dabirdwell
Apr 1, 2003, 12:55 PM
Me too, my warped-lid 12" is going back, I'll get my ADC asset back, I'll buy the 15" 867 from MacLover with my refund, and when the 15" October revision comes around I'll sell the 867 and get the Al-970 15" PowerBook at ADC price.

Perfect.

wsteineker
Apr 1, 2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by dabirdwell
Me too, my warped-lid 12" is going back, I'll get my ADC asset back, I'll buy the 15" 867 from MacLover with my refund, and when the 15" October revision comes around I'll sell the 867 and get the Al-970 15" PowerBook at ADC price.

Perfect.

What do you mean "when the 15" October revision comes around"? Do you know something that the rest of us don't?

vniow
Apr 1, 2003, 01:35 PM
How much for a base combo-drive iBook?

MacLover
Apr 18, 2003, 03:08 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm now limiting my services strictly to college computer stores. I buy a computer for you with my college student discount, and have the store ship directly to you.

I JUST sold a 12" Powerbook + Airport Extreme Card + 3 Yr. AppleCare Warranty ($1921) to a user on a Mac forum. He is very happy with this purchase and is willing to be a reference for me, you can e-mail him at dornball@yahoo.com.

I accept Escrow for your safety, and also accept PayPal. If you want the 15" Powerbook, PLEASE contact me ASAP because they're running out of these models quickly.

Feel free to contact me at autumnserendipity@yahoo.com

iJon
Apr 18, 2003, 03:35 PM
well dont let apple find out about your friend because ill bet you anthing he will get fired for helping you do this. by the way others, ive talked to some people who have gotten screwed with escrow too so beware.

iJon

RndmAxess
Apr 18, 2003, 03:53 PM
Use your best judgement people! I'm not saying this isn't for real but IMO here are some Red Flags:

1. Too good to be true prices.

2. Anonymous seller.

3. Seller is long distance, not local.

4. Limited time offer.

5. Seller story changes. First Apple employee discount, now student discount. BTW, how will you be able to register a new Apple with someone else's student info?

6. Supposed "satisfied customer" testimonial.

7. Relatively high pressure sales tactics with frequent mention of "safety" and "great deal" and "hurry, won't last"!

dornball
Apr 18, 2003, 05:52 PM
hi everyone.

i just bought a 12" powerbook from steve, and i received it just a couple of days ago. i can absolutely recommend him as a legitimate seller. he gave me a fair price, was very curtious. he let me pick the escrow site......escrow.com.

ironically, i'm one of the guys iJon was talking about earlier.
i had got screwed just before i bought from steve.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24079

anyway, he's legit, and i'm a happy customer with my new 12" PB.

-dornball

Nipsy
Apr 18, 2003, 06:07 PM
Hmmmm...since you can only get one machine per year on that discount what will you do now?

Also, you "just sold it to him" on the 18th, and he has just received it...also on the 18th. He's also a newbie.

How 'bout COD?

MacLover
Apr 18, 2003, 07:26 PM
First of all, I'm going to address all your claims.

1) The prices are not too good to be true. I'm not purchasing through the Apple Store for Education. I'm purchasing through college computer stores that offer packages that are cheaper than directly getting it from Apple. Just ask any college student.

2) Everyone here is anonymous. I can provide my cell phone number if you like

3) Your definition of local depends on where you live. What kind of ridiculous arguments are these? Lots of people live in Boston.

4) I never said it was a limited time offer. I only said that applies to the 15" Powerbooks. If you want a 12" or anything else, take all the time in the world. Please read carefully before making unfounded statements.

5) There's no change in story, this method is just easier and more secure.

6) Its not a "supposed" testimonial, you can contact him yourself.

7) There's no pressure. Saying its a great deal and offering to use escrow REDUCES pressure becasue its safe for the buyer. And once again, I was ONLY referring to the 15"

Don't make unsubstantiated claims! In addition, the 12" that was sent, was sent on the 14th, and recieved on the 18th.

I'm not familiar with COD, but I will look into it if you prefer.

If you have questions, e-mail me instead of flaming.
5)

RndmAxess
Apr 18, 2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by MacLover
If you have questions, e-mail me instead of flaming.

With all the Ebay, Western Union, UPS COD (fake money orders and cashiers checks), scams these days I'd rather err on the side of caution.

If I risk upsetting one newbie looking to start a computer sales business on MacRumors, so be it. If you're legit, more power to you, I'm all for commerce. Welcome to the business world and get used to being scrutinized and criticized.

I wasn't flaming and I didn't say you weren't legit. I clearly stated that "I'm not saying this isn't for real but IMO here are some Red Flags:"

Meaning that IMO (in *my* opinion) I thought there were some red flags that might cause the "buyer to beware."

Nothing wrong with that, right?

"It's not personal, it's business."

Angelus
Apr 18, 2003, 08:21 PM
It's true that you can get discounts if you are an apple employee,thats how i got my g4 powerbook.A friend of mine in apple got me a 27% discount.
Judging by the above i would believe this thread were it not for the fact my friend in apple told me that he gets only 1 27% discount and 3 20% discounts a year.Another thing he said is that because apple know that its an employee whos buying they basically shift the order to the end of the pile.If i bought the powerbook myself i would have had it after a week but because i went through him i ended up waiting about 3 weeks.Still it was worth the wait.

iJon
Apr 19, 2003, 10:45 AM
whatever you do guys, pay with credit card. if you dont get a computer, he gets no money and you dont lose any. and just to let you guys know again, if you buy from him you will operating in an illegal opperation, because he is not allowed to do what he is doing, just thought you guys may want to know, which most of you dont care, and considering apple reads these sites i would beware.

iJon

agreenster
Apr 19, 2003, 11:29 AM
I was wondering if all of this was illegal. People, if you want to really support Apple, then pony up and buy from them. Ive bought all of my computers from Apple directly and I received not only great service but good support over the years when my computers have broken. Trust me, when it pops up on their screen that you bought directly from Apple, they give you better service when you need a favor. Its not always just about the product...

Grokgod
Apr 19, 2003, 12:35 PM
What the hell??

This whole thing is bizarre and when the
ILLEGAL is call LEGIT.
Thats a RED FLAG!

Uhh isnt it customary to flame newbies, let alone ones that make claims to provide a service that is on the up and up despite the FACT, that they are working to obtain the goods ILLEGALLY!

I will FLAME all I want!
I am not so occluded by greed to allow hypocrites to sway my standards.

Computers of this caliber are best bought by those that support them. Not those that are attempting to reap rewards off the sweat and inspiration of others.
Crooks are always crying " I am not a crook"

Thank god for forum where the real crooks cant get us when we scream
CROOK!

LOL was that overy the top. ahh its good to be back in the saddle again.

Flame on! WOOOSHHHHHhhhhhhhhh

MacLover
Apr 19, 2003, 12:50 PM
It's not illegal to buy a computer from a college computer store and sell it. You can do whatever you want with a computer that you purchase fairly, unless there are explicit restrictions.

Grokgod
Apr 19, 2003, 01:03 PM
Thats not what you said initially!!
You werent getting the Powerbooks from a student store when you first posted!

You were getting them by means that were NOT accepted by Apple

Then you came up with another explaination to make yourself look better.

Now, you lie by ommision and speak out of context!

All the methods of a Crook.

You betray yourself with every sentence.

You think my dilpoma is worthless? :)

iJon
Apr 19, 2003, 01:56 PM
It's not illegal to buy a computer from a college computer store and sell it. You can do whatever you want with a computer that you purchase fairly, unless there are explicit restrictions.
well youve had some nice stories this whole time, if you feel what you are doing is legal by all means do it. apple reads these sites and you better hope you dont get busted.

iJon

MacLover
Apr 19, 2003, 02:08 PM
1) They're not stories, my customers get the packages directly from the campus store so they know exactly where its coming from.
2) How can I be a crook if I use a legitamate escrow service that is fully accredited and reccomended by eBay itself? There's no way I can rip people off using escrow.com.
3) I have already sold successfully to happy customers, including on this board.

Once again, there's no way I can rip anyone off if I use a legitamate escrow service. The customers recieves the package and gets to inspect the material before I get a single dime. In fact, I have to purchase the computer with my own money beforehand. I'm a college student who is just trying to make some money to pay for tuition. Its legal, its 100% safe, and please stop bashing.

iJon
Apr 19, 2003, 02:50 PM
1) They're not stories, my customers get the packages directly from the campus store so they know exactly where its coming from.
2) How can I be a crook if I use a legitamate escrow service that is fully accredited and reccomended by eBay itself? There's no way I can rip people off using escrow.com.
3) I have already sold successfully to happy customers, including on this board.

Once again, there's no way I can rip anyone off if I use a legitamate escrow service. The customers recieves the package and gets to inspect the material before I get a single dime. In fact, I have to purchase the computer with my own money beforehand. I'm a college student who is just trying to make some money to pay for tuition. Its legal, its 100% safe, and please stop bashing. no, i believe your not ripping off anyone. what you are doing is illegal. you are not allowed to go buy computers from a education store and turn around and resell them to customers.

iJon

MacLover
Apr 19, 2003, 02:58 PM
It's not from the AppleStore for Education. It's from a campus store that provides specials when they're trying to get rid of excess inventory. I don't believe this is illegal at all, please e-mail me with appropriate documentation or proof that this is illegal, iJon. I appreciate your time.

iJon
Apr 19, 2003, 04:10 PM
It's not from the AppleStore for Education. It's from a campus store that provides specials when they're trying to get rid of excess inventory. I don't believe this is illegal at all, please e-mail me with appropriate documentation or proof that this is illegal, iJon. I appreciate your time.
this is off apple's site
"Higher Education - Faculty and staff of Higher Education institutions; and students attending, or accepted into a Higher Education institution are eligible to purchase. Purchases from the Apple Store for Education Individuals are not for institutional purchase or RESALE."

and a campus book store is the same as an apple education online store, same prices and same rules apply. same as apple store online and an apple reseller. if you would like i can call my dad's friend who is an apple education rep for a state, i can call him if you would like.

iJon

MacLover
Apr 19, 2003, 04:55 PM
Actually, the same prices and rules don't always apply. The campus stores often have very different prices than the educational store online, depending on the product. However, I will call my campus store and look into that, thanks iJon.

alxths
Apr 19, 2003, 11:44 PM
Akh, nevermind...

jragsdale
Apr 20, 2003, 06:39 PM
I don't believe this is illegal at all, please e-mail me with appropriate documentation or proof that this is illegal, iJon. I appreciate your time.

I haven't read the rules myself but it seems to me this isn't illegal by US law but might be to Apple. If he gets caught doing anything wrong he might not be able to sell anymore Apple products but he wont end up in jail or something along those lines. Only way that I can see he getting himself into real trouble is if he frauds people out of their money but that's what escrow is suppose to protect against.

GigaWire
Apr 20, 2003, 11:42 PM
weird thread...

iJon
Apr 21, 2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by jragsdale
I haven't read the rules myself but it seems to me this isn't illegal by US law but might be to Apple. If he gets caught doing anything wrong he might not be able to sell anymore Apple products but he wont end up in jail or something along those lines. Only way that I can see he getting himself into real trouble is if he frauds people out of their money but that's what escrow is suppose to protect against. im not sure if its illegal, if it was im doubt apple would pursue anything if apple did find out they may strip his education purchase rights. he has already broken his agreement. and if he sells one more computer he will have broken another agreement rule. you can only buy 1 computer per year.after i posted the rules and if he still sells i hope he gets busted. i dont care if he is going to college or not.

iJon

MacLover
Apr 21, 2003, 02:08 PM
Actually, I just called my campus store and they said they are lenient about the number of computers I can buy. I am allowed to buy several, though its certainly not unlimited. So once again, campus stores don't always go by whatever is stated on the educational site online in terms of both pricing and rules.

Dave Swift
Apr 21, 2003, 02:56 PM
Sounds like he's getting them from here (http://www.universitycomputers.com/ePOS?wpd=100&store=210&item_number=CALL%5fFOR%5fPRICING&form=shared%2fgm%2fdetail%2ehtml&design=210).

While I'm not sure if this is illegal, it is certainly unethical.

jeremy.king
Apr 21, 2003, 04:10 PM
MacLover,

What school do you attend? Whats the name of your campus store? Think they would sell to me? Probably not! I'm not a student there.

Ever wonder why you must be a student of faculty member to buy from your campus store. Because they must honor Apple's policies for discounted pricing.

I got a better idea! Go buy software from JourneyEd.com and offer to customers for prices just a little lower than retail! Heck you can get Macromedia MX Studio or Office XP Pro for only $199.98! Heck then you could sell for $299 and make $100 per sale!

Crap, you might just do that!

And you thought I was the only one to question your prices. :D

Cursor
Apr 21, 2003, 04:33 PM
I would advise everybody not to buy from this guy. He's doing the same thing over at SpyMac. iJon makes a lot of sense. This guy changed his original story totally and is offering too good to be true prices. You never want to buy something from a guy like this.Whatever he is doing, it is no good. He's a scammer and probably a crook. Better safe than sorry.

jragsdale
Apr 21, 2003, 04:40 PM
SpyMac isn't a very creditable source. Did you buy something from this guy? Second hand experience?

MacLover
Apr 21, 2003, 07:06 PM
First of all, I resent being called a crook. I feel like Richard Nixon when I say I'm not. I CANNOT rip people off using escrow.com, an accredited escrow service. Second, I'm not "trying the same thing" at SpyMac, its called advertising. Third, its not illegal by US Law or my supplier's guidelines. Fourth, is it unethical? Perhaps, but ethics are a subjective matter. It's a free country and people have the right to choose their own ethics and engage in whatever actions they want as long as they're not illegal. Listen, if you're not interested or offended, then voice your opinion with your pocketbook by NOT BUYING FROM ME, I don't want you to if you feel that way. I'm tired of these repetitive posts, please just post if you have an order inquiry from now on. If you are interested, e-mail me, it's as simple as that.

inish
Apr 21, 2003, 07:42 PM
oops, wrong thread. delete mod.

bousozoku
Apr 21, 2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the post wsteineker. I'm not sure how long these will be available. Some of these are limited specials (which is why some of the prices are so low), so I'm not sure if I can offer this next month, depending on the system. I would like to say that I can though, just e-mail me when you get a chance.

So, Apple supports you and your friend doing this?