Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Very cool developing technology, would be especially good on notebooks considering the current 'tinny' quality of laptop speakers.....

for link junkies;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2877205.stm

Or full article below!!

A British company called NXT has found a way to turn a computer display into a speaker, without interfering with the quality of the picture.

Its SoundVu technology has already been built into two models by Japanese electronics giant NEC.

NXT says it also could be used for other products like flat-screen televisions and is talking to several electronics manufacturers about the technology.

The Cambridge-based firm is best known for creating the technology behind flat-panel speakers.

It is now turning its attention to the world of computing, capitalising on the trend to turn home PCs into digital entertainment centres.

High-quality audio

Hi-fi purists might shudder at the thought of listening to a computer screen, but NXT argues its technology provides a high-quality audio experience.

"If people are going to adopt our technology instead of conventional speakers then they will want to know that they are getting high-quality audio," said Andrew Williams, NXT Group Marketing Director.

"The sound quality is very good, probably better than with most multimedia speakers you would buy with a computer," he said. "It is a much better listening experience."

NXT argues its technology has major advantages over conventional speakers. It says its SoundVU technology distributes frequencies evenly across a room, producing what audio buffs call a universal "sweet spot".

The technology works by placing a thin acrylic panel over the computer display. This is attached at the edges to a couple of exciters.

These moving coil motors make the acrylic screen vibrate to produce the sound.

"The SoundVu technology doesn't interfere at all with the picture quality," said Mr Williams. "It means you get the sound coming directly from the screen, you get that movie theatre experience in the home."

The NEC computers that use the system were launched in Japan towards the end of last year. The Valuestar T and Valuestar FS both feature a 17-inch LCD monitor which doubles as a loudspeaker.

But NXT say their technology could be built into other products such as flat-screen televisions or even mobile phones.

"The world is going to be flat going forward," said Mr Williams.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Re: How badass would this be in the new 15"?

Originally posted by dabirdwell
Or in the Oct. revision with a 970?

ha ha... optimistic.... :p

But cool.... imagine the sound from that 17" PowerBook....

Phewy!! :D

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
Hmm... it's the first application of flat-panel speaker technology to displays, but similar technologies have been around for years. Monsoon's flat-panel system is a prime example of great early flat-panel speakers. The SoundBug portable speaker, I believe, uses similar technology, suctioning itself to any hard flat surface, making the entire surface vibrate.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by iMook
Hmm... it's the first application of flat-panel speaker technology to displays, but similar technologies have been around for years. Monsoon's flat-panel system is a prime example of great early flat-panel speakers. The SoundBug portable speaker, I believe, uses similar technology, suctioning itself to any hard flat surface, making the entire surface vibrate.

Cool..... never heard about that before.... I'll have to have a moochy around for this and similar type stuff....

Certanly though I see the implementation off this technology on laptops as really needed.... Notebooks are notoriously crap for audio quality... this could be the answer!

Wicked!

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
Problem with this "screen speaker" setup though.

How do you implement stereo?

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by kettle
That's the Badger!:p

Dual monitors for everyone!:eek:

Ha ha..... yep! :p

I imagine they'd spilt the speaker layer somehow... I guess if they can make speakers that thin, and transparent to the end user, then they must have figured on the Stereo aspect!!

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by applemacdude
probaly wont see it on macs
though:(

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout? It's exactly the type of thing that Apple would be first to integrate. I could definitely see it being integrated into iMacs (no more external speakers!) and PowerBooks (less weight/space and better sound). I dunno about the cinema displays, though. They don't have built-in speakers now, do they? Anyone willing to lay down the cash for a cinema display is going to have good speakers anyway.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Doesn't the screen on the 12" PB already do this, or have I misinterpreted the description of the "mid-range enhancing third speaker"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.