Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nat3503

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
London
I had problems with my iBook G4 (12 inch mid 2005 edition with Applecare) - basically every time I plugged in the power adaptor it shut off - then if I took it out it would start up again but the clock had reset itself. I couldn't recharge the battery (even with the computer turned off) so took it to the Apple Bluewater (UK) store to get it repaired, as the battery was dead.

They couldn't do anything in store and said that they were going to send it to the local Apple depot because they had a big backlog in store. I said I was going back to uni in 3 weeks and they said it was no problem - that it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks.

Exactly 2 weeks later, today, I've received the iBook at my house via DHL. But when I opened it, there was a letter that said:

Product not repaired
Unfortunately, because you have either not authorized repair of the reported symptons noted below or we have been able to contact you for repair authorization, the product is being returned to you. We have not assessed a charge for our diagnostic work.
The reported symptom(s) not authorized for repair:
When power adapter plugged into the machine the machine turns itself off. Boots fine from battery but not when the power adapter is plugged into the mains.
To discuss the repair necessary for your product... please call AppleCare Suport at the following numbers:
UK 0870 876 0753
Sincerely,
Apple

Date: 8/9/06

WTF?! I took the iBook into an Apple store to get it repaired and I have the Genius Bar Work Authorisation letter. I don't see how I didn't authorise repair!

Also they had my home and mobile number - I didn't get any missed calls or answer machine messages from them.

I tried calling Bluewater (01322 640100) but they tried to transfer me to a premium line number, and the one stated in the letter is also premium line. I was put on hold for over 20 minutes.

This is the 3rd problem I've had with my iBook... the last time, I spent £20 on phone calls trying to get it sorted even though I have AppleCare! With the second problem, Apple realised that it wasn't my fault (I take really good care of it - spent over £100 on products like iSkins etc - and don't take it anywhere, so it wasn't dropped or anything) that they replaced my iBook with a new one!

Also, my battery is part of the recall program but that wasn't the reason for my iBook problems as they tried a different battery in store. They said I'd have to exchange my battery after it gets fixed.

I suppose the best thing to do is take it back to Bluewater... which would really suck because I'd have to pay £2 for the toll. Suppose it's better than paying loads more for phone calls then being told to send it back anyway...

Has anyone else had this problem?
Sorry for the long post!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.