PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Phone Revealed?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Sep 13, 2006, 08:53 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Rumors of an Apple Phone have been ongoing for years (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/08/20020818203655.shtml) with Apple laying claim to the domain iPhone.org (http://www.iphone.org) since 1999 and the trademark for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/12/20021203005112.shtml) in 2002. Meanwhile, a number of Phone related patents (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060505202447.shtml) have also surfaced showing that Apple has been researching this option.

Recently, analysts have claimed (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060905150232.shtml) that the Apple phone is essentially ready with a brief description:

The design will be an iPod nano-like candy bar form factor and come in three colors

Meanwhile, Steve Jobs has been said (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060811110535.shtml) to be talking up the upcoming phone, despite being traditionally secretive about unannounced products.

One reliable MacRumors.com source has provided a more detailed description of one of the prototypes for the upcoming Apple Phone. The description has yielded this artist's rendition of the phone. The phone offers a familiar look to iPod owners, with the preservation of the iPod click-wheel.

The click-wheel is closer to the bottom of the device with the screen taking a vertical orientation. The click-wheel portion of the device reportedly slides down to reveal a traditional numeric dial-pad underneath. The front is black, while the back is chrome like the current iPod.

As an artist rendition, details such as the exact proportions of the screen are not necessarily accurate.

The preservation of the click-wheel navigator could add credence to evidence (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060913170940.shtml) that iTunes has the ability to transfer the new iPod games to certain mobile phones. Jobs had stated that the games had been designed for click-wheel playability.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/iphone_thumb.jpg (http://images.macrumors.com/article/iphone_macrumors.jpg)
click for larger image (http://images.macrumors.com/article/iphone_macrumors.jpg)

[ digg this ] (http://www.digg.com/apple/Apple_s_Phone_Revealed)

RazzTheFrog
Sep 13, 2006, 08:55 PM
Finally is this it?

Littleodie914
Sep 13, 2006, 08:56 PM
Hmm... Does this really count as front page news? :confused:

Not to say it isn't cool, but we're still talking about an artist rendition based on a reliable source... Not the iPhone "revealed".

Just my 2 pennies. ;)

Dandaman
hmmmm, interesting, wonder when it'll come out

irmongoose
So this is a confirmed report? How reliable is this source?

irmongoose

cxny
Sep 13, 2006, 08:57 PM
Odd that Jobs forgot to announce it yesterday......

bjdku
This is stated so matter of fact. There is no ? in the title. How certain is arn? He always uses ?

animefan_1
Shouldn't the thread's title have a question at the end? Regardless of how 'reliable' the source may be, it's still a rumor and should be regarded as such.

Doctor Q
Congratulations to the artist, at least. And perhaps to Apple for the nice-looking product.

hyperpasta
Woah. That's pretty interesting.

carfac
Go away- just go away.

Can we all just agree not to talk about this thing until it is actually out? There is so much BS about this thing, maybe it does not deserve anything until two weeks after it is out... if ever.

So, we have gone from some prankster photoshopping his Apple wet dreams to official macrumors photoshoping up rumors (shakes head)...

P-Worm
Sep 13, 2006, 08:58 PM
No way, it might actually happen...

P-Worm

blueflame
Hmm... Does this really count as front page news? :confused:

Not to say it isn't cool, but we're still talking about an artist rendition based on a reliable source... Not the iPhone "revealed".

Just my 2 pennies. ;)

When i just went to MR, and this popped up, I almost had a heart attack. wallet ready before the story eved loaded. I was quite dissapointed. i am waiting for this SO much. this is the one device i would bu at the drop of a hat

andreas

skwert
seems fairly solid. MR has always been very reserved in claims about the iphone, and this is a fairly bold article. i'd love to see it....i just think i'll be cursing my verizon contract and their damn cdma phones once it comes out.

Dagless
well this is certainly big news!

Chaszmyr
Sep 13, 2006, 08:59 PM
Please don't post artist renditions to the front page! It gets my hopes up too far.

amac4me
Sep 13, 2006, 09:00 PM
When this thing is released, it's gonna sell like hot cakes :eek:

Peace
If you can play games on it where's the screen ?

nevermind the good doctor updated it with a larger pic

spine
Is this really a page 1 item?
The real news would be a release date, or an upcoming event.
Still, I want one!

monke
Hmmm.. Ok, not really shocked by the design a whole lot, but finally there is some (for lack of a better word) proof of what it looks like. Sure hope it comes in aluminum and white :D

MattyMac
Sep 13, 2006, 09:01 PM
Holy Guacamole!

That is Sick!

They need to come out with that right now!

angelneo
I assume the screen would be a touch screen. I would hate to start dialing numbers using the click wheel.

twoodcc
hmmmm, interesting, wonder when it'll come out

that's my response as well

zap2
Sep 13, 2006, 09:02 PM
You devil you...I'm thinking someone knows more then they are telling MR's public users!

QCassidy352
Sep 13, 2006, 09:02 PM
arn very rarely posts info from his own sources. When he does, that info is always correct. I'd bet a good deal of my savings that the iphone will look very similar to that pic.

skwert
Sep 13, 2006, 09:03 PM
I assume the screen would be a touch screen. I would hate to start dialing numbers using the click wheel.

"The click-wheel portion of the device reportedly slides down to reveal a traditional numeric dial-pad underneath."
someone was too excited to read the whole thing :p

dbally
I thought the idea of paying $4.99 for a game was a very cell phone provider-esque.

Old Smuggler
Not what i was looking for
I wanted a smart phone wheres the keyboard ?
i can buy an itunes phone right now from cingular but i dont want one
what makes them think i will buy one now because its from apple and not motorola

Bibulous
Sep 13, 2006, 09:04 PM
I believe it after how they treated Moto, and it makes sense they would announce it after the new ipods. Hope it has 4GB storage at least.

thedude110
Sep 13, 2006, 09:05 PM
At least something to keep the rumor mill buzzing ...

Maybe "one more thing" comes later in the week, then.

skwert
Sep 13, 2006, 09:06 PM
what makes them think i will buy one now because its from apple and not motorola

their amazing design and interface...the reason why people buy all their other stuff. not to mention the sexy idea of ichat mobile

irmongoose
Sep 13, 2006, 09:06 PM
A '?' now?

irmongoose

bjdku
Sep 13, 2006, 09:08 PM
This is stated so matter of fact. There is no ? in the title. How certain is arn? He always uses ?

I am quoting myself! arn went ahead and added to question mark to the title.

QCassidy352, you can deposit your savings in my escrow account and we will see if this thing happens.

digitalbiker
Sep 13, 2006, 09:09 PM
Even if Apple makes a crappy phone, I will probably want this thing. Mainly because I am certain that Apple will make this compatible with iLife, address book, iTunes,etc.

It will be so nice to finally have a phone that can easily connect to my mac and work seemlessly with my existing address book. music, photos, safari faves, maps, etc.

I am so sick of editing syncing, tricking, teasing, and spending hours of wasted time to get data into my phone.

dlastmango
Sep 13, 2006, 09:09 PM

I hope it isnt a touch screen. I miss my old rotary phone. It did suck if you messed up a 1-800 number though...:p :eek: :rolleyes:

Jackie.Cane
Sep 13, 2006, 09:11 PM
Dear god, enough with the phone rumors already!:mad:

PCMA
Sep 13, 2006, 09:12 PM
When Steve Jobs intoduced the 5G iPod in October last year he made it very clear that its release completed Apple's 2005 holiday season line-up. "What's our holiday line-up look... it's stonger than ever been. The line-up has never looked this good" he said.

After releasing updates to every iPod product line at Tuesday's Showtime event he left a very big opening for a major product announcement between now and the holidays. Steve said "I hope this gives you a feeling for what we've got lined up for this holiday season."

Steve Jobs chooses his words very carefully. If Apple's holiday line-up was now complete - he would have said so emphatically.

I don't think that any new announcements before Christmas will include a 6G video iPod - because this would really get up the nose of 5.5G iPod purchasers.

~Shard~
Sep 13, 2006, 09:12 PM
Go away- just go away.

Can we all just agree not to talk abiout this thing until it is actually out? There is so much BS about this thing, maybe it does not deserve anything until two weeks after it is out... if ever.

Sorry man, this is MacRumors. If you don't like talking about rumored products and such, sign up for an account on MacFacts. :p :cool:

The mock-up looks cool - definitely something that I could see Apple designing. It bares quite a similarity though to LG's Chocolate phone...

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3426/chocmicrosdfw5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/255/lgchocolatera7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9552/lgchocolate720703sn3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

runninmac
Sep 13, 2006, 09:13 PM
Well, Steve did say he would be seeing us soon :p

QCassidy352
Sep 13, 2006, 09:14 PM
I am quoting myself! arn went ahead and added to question mark to the title.

QCassidy352, you can deposit your savings in my escrow account and we will see if this thing happens.

I said I'd bet, not give. As in you pay equal money if this turns out to be right. And it's a figure of speech. :rolleyes:

~Shard~
Sep 13, 2006, 09:14 PM
Dear god, enough with the phone rumors already!:mad:

Would you prefer us to go back to the PowerBook G5 rumors instead? :p ;) :D

EricNau
Sep 13, 2006, 09:16 PM
I am not really crazy about this design. Having to slide the click-wheel down every time I need to use my phone doesn't sound like fun (plus, what would this thing look like open? ...what I'm picturing is ugly).

I was hoping for an iPod Nano form factor with a numerical keypad... nice an simple.

2nyRiggz
Sep 13, 2006, 09:17 PM
Its an ipod with a longer screen and a slider.....well at least for me I see nothing too interesting in it...just another ipod you can talk to.

Still neat though.

Bless

cuestakid
Sep 13, 2006, 09:18 PM
I think people need to remember that not every cell phone is avaliable on every carrier-meaning that if this phone is only on a couple of carriers, someone who's carrier isnt avaliable is gonna be whinning and complaining

bjdku
I said I'd bet, not give. As in you pay equal money if this turns out to be right. And it's a figure of speech. :rolleyes:

Well, I for one wish apple would come out with this thing already. I would pay my savings just to end the anguish (figure of speech, hat tip QCassidy352)! Bury the Chocolate! I hate seeing that iPod wanna-be!

justflie
Is this really a page 1 item?
The real news would be a release date, or an upcoming event.
Still, I want one!
agreed. I've come to the decision that whatever apple releases with regards to a phone-like object will probably knock my socks off. The question is WHEN?!?!@?#

ImAlex
Apple can design better than that. It will probably not look like that. Why? Because they do not want it to look exactly as the Nano as it would confuse people. That design does not make sense to me.

I think and hope they will make a new Newton, more a Apple PDA than a iPod with phone capabilities.

It is time for Apple to release a phone, but not just an iPod Phone. Look at the patent Apple made some days ago, it looks more like a PDA/Smartphone than phone which is great.

plinkoman
wow, looks nice. But i have an iPod, and a razr; so I really have no need for this.

and yes, it does look like that lg thing, but thats only because lg made a pathetic attempt at copying the clickwheel. :rolleyes:

MattyMac
This is making me want to hold off on buying the new nano tomorrow. I'm going to an apple store to check them out. I'm sure I won't be able to keep the plastic in my wallet.

HecubusPro

I think one of the main tenets to apple's philosophy is simplicity, from their iPods to their computer systems to their OS. I just could not see apple releasing something to a consumer market that would place it over the heads of everyday, casual users, which is who apple traditionally aims for. A smart iPhone would add way too much complexity for that basic demographic.

If this is truly what to expect when the phone comes out, then it's obviously not for you. While I too would like to see something as you described, I also find the simplicity of apple products alluring. I'd be very interested in this product.

digitalbiker

Shard,

Didn't you hear! The new Apple phone is powered by the newly designed low-power embedded G5 chip.

G5 power phones next Tuesday! Woo Hoo!:D :D :D :eek: :confused:

iJawn108
Sep 13, 2006, 09:19 PM
I dont' think the "iPhone" would have a traditional keypad at all.

Donz0r
Sep 13, 2006, 09:21 PM
This is how I've always pictured the iPhone. Candybar style Slider phones are a hit right now, as well as Music playing phones, most of which suck when it comes to playing music.

Apple needs to tap into this current market and release that thing before the holidays. All of the other concepts were way off, so un apple like. This is an apple phone. basically, an ipod with a small slide out keypad.

Apple's consumer market is growing and more people fit into it than the professional market. The demographic which wants smartphones (for the most part) don't want an apple smart phone. Now that's not to say that an apple smart phone can't be successful, its just in comparison to a consumer targeted cell phone.

Most cell phone buyers buy basic consumer cell phones. This is the perfect media player cell phone hybrid. It seems as if I'll be switching to cingular soon seeing as it will undoubtedly come out in cingular.

obeygiant
imagine how greasy that thing will get after talking on it for 10 minutes.

EricNau
I dont' think the "iPhone" would have a traditional keypad at all.
Yes, we could just go back 100 years and have one button - 0 for operator. That's efficient. :rolleyes:

Donz0r
Sep 13, 2006, 09:22 PM
Apple can design better than that. It will probably not look like that. Why? Because they do not want it to look exactly as the Nano as it would confuse people. That design does not make sense to me.

I think and hope they will make a new Newton, more a Apple PDA than a iPod with phone capabilities.

It is time for Apple to release a phone, but not just an iPod Phone. Look at the patent Apple made some days ago, it looks more like a PDA/Smartphone than phone which is great.

The Nanos are the best selling mp3 player. They're beautiful and loved by all. Nobody is going to not buy a cell phone because it ''looks too much like a nano'', that will be the reason they DO buy the cell phone.

musiclover137
Sep 13, 2006, 09:23 PM
Go away- just go away.

Can we all just agree not to talk about this thing until it is actually out? There is so much BS about this thing, maybe it does not deserve anything until two weeks after it is out... if ever.

So, we have gone from some prankster photoshopping his Apple wet dreams to official macrumors photoshoping up rumors (shakes head)...

You might be on the wrong site if you don't enjoy endless speculation and um.....RUMORS.

Welcome to MacRumors. I forgot to look if you were a newbie, but you might want to get used to this kind of thing.

~Shard~
Sep 13, 2006, 09:23 PM
Shard,

Didn't you hear! The new Apple phone is powered by the newly designed low-power embedded G5 chip.

:eek: I had no idea! Thanks for the insight my friend! :D ;)

OdduWon
Sep 13, 2006, 09:24 PM
Sorry man, this is MacRumors. If you don't like talking about rumored products and such, sign up for an account on MacFacts. :p :cool:

The mock-up looks cool - definitely something that I could see Apple designing. It bares quite a similarity though to LG's Chocolate phone...
thats because they knew apple TelePod was about to come out so they dumped their on the market first
:rolleyes:

koen
Sep 13, 2006, 09:25 PM
Type the following in the Terminal:

cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS
strings * | grep -i phone

0s and 1s
Sep 13, 2006, 09:25 PM
I pray to Shiva that the picture is not authentic.

A chrome back on a cellular phone? Surely they can't be serious?? :(

syklee26
Sep 13, 2006, 09:27 PM
this is definitely a style over functionality....how da heck do you dial a number with clickwheel?

of course, if this is a slider phone like chocolate, then this is an awesome design.

jettredmont
Sep 13, 2006, 09:27 PM
Hmm. A few thoughts.

First, the "candybar" reference you make is quite apt: this looks a lot like the LG Chocolate. Which, of course, was designed to look like an iPod, so duh. But, I foresee market confusion. At least the buttons here will have some response to them (I hope!).

Second, I'm not sure about the slide-out idea. I like the idea on many cell phones as a way to keep buttons from being pressed accidentally, but greatly prefer Apple's iPod "Hold" switch over a physical drawer or "key lock" mechanism. With the music buttons so exposed, seems we'd still need a "hold", and it'd be silly for that to only apply to half the device. More, though, I worry about how flimsy the device will feel with the scroll wheel "slid out". Granted, that seems infinitely better ergonomics than the keyboard itself sliding out (can slide open and dial with one hand in one smooth movement without re-adjusting phone in hand). But, still, I worry about the likelihood of the wheel "drawer" snapping off. I hate to see iPods in such pain!

Third, what about cases? My cell phones without cases always end up looking like crap. I wouldn't want a nice shiny black iPhone to be all beaten up a week after I got it. How would a case work with a slide-out drawer? Are we stuck using socks?

I'm assuming that the non-numeric controls (answer the phone, hang up, you know, the little not-so-important functions) are also in the drawer. Does that make sense for answering the phone while on the go?

Finally: size? I know, most of the world doesn't have American-size Big Mac fingers. Still, I can't imagine using a keypad small enough (both width/height and depth) to fit under the scroll wheel of a nano. If you make it that small, the buttons have to be really bulby and stiff (see Treo); otherwise you just hit the wrong one too often.

mox358
Sep 13, 2006, 09:28 PM
I just posted earlier today about how I was waiting for the Apple iPhone to upgrade my RAZR... but honestly thats it?

I feel like the only one who looks at that design and says "blah". Its a horrible design for a phone. Its a nano with a bigger screen. Thats it. There are 1000 phones out there now that look just like this.

I can't believe this is what we've been waiting for years and god knows how much in R&D for?

I'm a much bigger fan of the iChat Mobile. (I know its fake but its a much better idea than this. Granted it needs some work too...)

http://idisk.mac.com/mox358/Public/ichat_mobile.jpg

EricNau
Sep 13, 2006, 09:28 PM
Actually, I'm starting to question the description of this rendition. It reads:
The click-wheel portion of the device reportedly slides down to reveal a traditional numeric dial-pad underneath.
IMO, having the click-wheel slide down with a keypad underneath is a less favorable design compared to (for example), Chocolate by LG, where the body of the phone slides up revealing a second layer of the phone with the keypad.

monke
Sep 13, 2006, 09:29 PM
Shard,

And only 6 inches thick :eek: :p :D

bjdku
this is definitely a style over functionality....how da heck do you dial a number with clickwheel?

of course, if this is a slider phone like chocolate, then this is an awesome design.

How do you figure this is an awesome design? This is a brainless design! Designing the nano in the first place might have been awesome. But making a nano a phone is hardly a leap of design genius!

And you mentioned chocolate and awesome design in the same sentence!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

JohnGalt

or have to slide it open everytime you want to make a (non-voice dial) call.....

kansast
Sep 13, 2006, 09:32 PM

But you just have to know that any "Apple" phone is gonna have a darn good user interface.. and that's what I'm hoping for.. almost regardless of over all shape and design, but Apple's UI. When compared with a compatible 'Itunes" phone anyway. Pretty sure I don't want a phone with a keyboard on it. but I understand why some might.

Kansast

MattyMac
Sep 13, 2006, 09:33 PM
Type the following in the Terminal:

cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS
strings * | grep -i phone
Where did you get that...says Motorola Phone and other phone related items.

Wish it said iPhone.

What else did you pick up from it?

musiclover137
Sep 13, 2006, 09:34 PM

Um, read the post buddy....

OdduWon
Sep 13, 2006, 09:34 PM
you select from the contacts that you sync via itunes, or you scroll like the "search" in the new ipod.

syklee26
Sep 13, 2006, 09:36 PM
How do you figure this is an awesome design? This is a brainless design! Designing the nano in the first place might have been awesome. But making a nano a phone is hardly a leap of design genius!

And you mentioned chocolate and awesome design in the same sentence!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

whether you like it or not, chocolate phone is one of the hottest phone in KOREA, the cell phone dynasty. and you have to note that chocolate in Korea and the chocolate in US sport two different designs.

and about that iChat Mobile....that phone is very practical but it might be way too big. and if they shrink the size, the keypad might be too small.

whether that rumor is true or not, i do think that the mock design by macrumors is the best way to incorporate both iPod functions and phone functions

fawlty

I can remember when all phones used a wheel for dialing numbers...

randyg
The only way i'd give up my Treo for an "iPhone" is if it is a true "smart phone". That means PDA functionality. It's got to do everything my Treo does. If it's simply another phone with iTunes on it then it's not worth switching, at least in my opinion.

firsttube
I am not really crazy about this design. Having to slide the click-wheel down every time I need to use my phone doesn't sound like fun (plus, what would this thing look like open? ...what I'm picturing is ugly).

I was hoping for an iPod Nano form factor with a numerical keypad... nice an simple.

do you dial numbers every time you use your phone? I have a samsung t809, and i don't slide it down most of the time, unless i want to answer it that way. It's kinda fun, but it's not required to answer the phone.

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/11/0,,i=118734&,00.jpg

oh yeah, this plays aac's and any song as a ringtone. so that makes ringtone purchases 0.00 if you own the song already... what a concept!

syklee26
Sep 13, 2006, 09:37 PM
Um, read the post buddy....

yep, i screwed up.

DaveK
Sep 13, 2006, 09:38 PM
There are a lot of sound business reasons for Apple to release an iPhone. But the biggest reason is that Steve must have a cell phone and you know he probably hates the industrial design and functionality.

I think that they were supposed to announce this in one of the "one more things" on the 12th and something happened at the last minute. Two items lead me to this conclusion.

1. They never used a satellite link of the keynote to London(think Vodafone), which they mentioned before the keynote. Maybe it was just so London could watch. But then why not the folks at the Apple Expo in Paris.

2. Is it just me, or did the "pre-announcement" of a product that has an "internal" name of iTV, which may or may not be the products real name, strike anyone else as very un-Apple like.

kansast
Sep 13, 2006, 09:38 PM

I would have thought the same thing.. but I used a Sony Erricson phone for awhile.. iWalk I think they called it ?? but it had a simplified buttons under the screen, if you needed to "Dial" a number you could flip out the buttons. But most often you are either "answering" your phone, or pulling up a number from the directory, either case you don't need a full number pad key for. As it was, I almost never revealed the keypad on that phone.

syklee26
Sep 13, 2006, 09:39 PM
The only way i'd give up my Treo for an "iPhone" is if it is a true "smart phone". That means PDA functionality. It's got to do everything my Treo does. If it's simply another phone with iTunes on it then it's not worth switching, at least in my opinion.

i think that might come down the road but not at the initial launch. smart phones are not as popular as the normal cell phones. plus, you need the right OS for smart phone and we are talking about a totally separate venture there. hopefully Apple will introduce OSX mobile version

firsttube
Sep 13, 2006, 09:40 PM
seems as if the clickwheel being at the very bottom would make it a bit easier to drop, no?

bjdku
Sep 13, 2006, 09:40 PM

I am with you on this. I don't see the real compelling reason to have a plain old iPod that makes phone calls and sucks all my battery so I can't play music, or vice versa. It needs to be a compelling smart phone, that will be the inovative part, not the hardware design. We all know it will look like a nano.

Aeolius
Sep 13, 2006, 09:41 PM
No thanks. I loathe the candybar design. I have a Treo which I keep in an aluminum case. I did this after having a Treo for a week and destroying the thing, even though it was in my pocket. I have no place in my life for a delicate cell phone. :D

I don't want a cell phone that looks like a Nano. I want a cell phone that looks like a MacBook Pro ;)

I would still be hesitant to purchase any new cell phone, as the signal at my new house is terrible - and I've tried Verizon, Cingular, and Sprint.

Old Smuggler
Sep 13, 2006, 09:42 PM
i agree its got to compete with my treo
ill admit palm OS garnet blows but its not as bad as windows
ill just wait for OS X Mobile

Donz0r
Sep 13, 2006, 09:45 PM
There are a lot of sound business reasons for Apple to release an iPhone. But the biggest reason is that Steve must have a cell phone and you know he probably hates the industrial design and functionality.

I think that they were supposed to announce this in one of the "one more things" on the 12th and something happened at the last minute. Two items lead me to this conclusion.

1. They never used a satellite link of the keynote to London(think Vodafone), which they mentioned before the keynote. Maybe it was just so London could watch. But then why not the folks at the Apple Expo in Paris.

2. Is it just me, or did the "pre-announcement" of a product that has an "internal" name of iTV, which may or may not be the products real name, strike anyone else as very un-Apple like.

You raise good points, but yesterday the big announcement was iTunes Movies. many people would be skeptical about downloading movies just a few bucks cheaper tahn you can Buy the dvd. So apple HAD to show that you could watch the downloaded movies on your TV somehow. Steve presented it correctly, the iTV was the missing link that made downloading movies via iTunes plausable.

Donz0r
Sep 13, 2006, 09:46 PM
do you dial numbers every time you use your phone? I have a samsung t809, and i don't slide it down most of the time, unless i want to answer it that way. It's kinda fun, but it's not required to answer the phone.

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/11/0,,i=118734&,00.jpg

oh yeah, this plays aac's and any song as a ringtone. so that makes ringtone purchases 0.00 if you own the song already... what a concept!

My friend has that phone, it's amazing.

THESE SLIDER PHONES ARE A HUGE HIT RIGHT NOW!

Some of you may not like the slider style, but most consumers love it. And love the idea of a True music playing cell phone that can replace your iPod (nano at least)

mox358
Sep 13, 2006, 09:47 PM
I am with you on this. I don't see the real compelling reason to have a plain old iPod that makes phone calls and sucks all my battery so I can't play music, or vice versa. It needs to be a compelling smart phone, that will be the inovative part, not the hardware design. We all know it will look like a nano.

But why should it? This isn't Motorola... this is Apple. They are supposed to be the masters of industrial design and software integration. No doubt the phone will have an awesome user interface, but I expect more from Apple than sticking an antenna and GSM chip inside a nano, putting a keypad underneath it, and calling it a day. This couldn't have taken very long to dream up... it seems like the most obvious and un-Apple idea of them all.

If this is the fabled iPhone then Apple is losing its touch... the design was already done when they introduced the nano.

I hope Apple wants this to be a phone with iPod functionality opposed to a nano with phone functionallity. The difference is huge. What is the primary function of this device? To play music or use as a phone? Thus far it looks like a nano with a software update and a GSM chip sadly.

~Shard~
Sep 13, 2006, 09:48 PM
Well, I got a kick out of it too, which made me comment, and which makes me a member of dorkland :)

It's all good. ;) :)

So does anyone think Apple would go retro and offer a "digital rotary dial" option using the clickwheel for dialing digits? I think it would be kind of cool, but then again, I love the old rotary phones. :D

After further thought, I suppose it might be a novelty that wears off fast... :o ;)

miketcool
Sep 13, 2006, 09:49 PM
So the search feature is related to dialing? Man, this is only throwing fuel into an uniterrested group of people worn from constant rumorings of whimsical phones.

kansast
Sep 13, 2006, 09:52 PM
But why should it? This isn't Motorola... this is Apple. They are supposed to be the masters of industrial design and software integration. No doubt the phone will have an awesome user interface, but I expect more from Apple than sticking an antenna and GSM chip inside a nano, putting a keypad underneath it, and calling it a day. This couldn't have taken very long to dream up... it seems like the most obvious and un-Apple idea of them all.

If this is the fabled iPhone then Apple is losing its touch... the design was already done when they introduced the nano.

I hope Apple wants this to be a phone with iPod functionality opposed to a nano with phone functionallity. The difference is huge. What is the primary function of this device? To play music or use as a phone? Thus far it looks like a nano with a software update and a GSM chip sadly.

that's just it.. if it is an ipod/iphone.. any phone with a slide out keyboard, which apparently is getting to be popular.. and has a limited number of buttons ALWAYS available.. then on the iPHone those limited buttons are created using the iPod clickwheel.. so for me, I think it could be brilliant. ANd by now we all know how to use the clickwheel, without even looking at it.

Aeolius
Sep 13, 2006, 09:55 PM
It's amazing what sort of "Smart Phone" one can find, with a little digging:
http://www.tvacres.com/images/get_smart_listen.jpg

daneoni
Sep 13, 2006, 09:56 PM
If that is it then i am so not interested. Crome back and polucarbonate front??. Thats just screaming "scratch me please" if this picture is real then it suggest they took an iPod and slapped phone components onto it. Plus side is, its got a big screen and........??

Mac Fly (film)
Sep 13, 2006, 09:56 PM
Here's the real iPhone!!

http://static.flickr.com/85/241579656_a9c34f6679_o.jpg

firsttube
Sep 13, 2006, 09:57 PM

Some of you may not like the slider style, but most consumers love it. And love the idea of a True music playing cell phone that can replace your iPod (nano at least)

I wouldn't say amazing, but I really like it. The interface is very inconsistent, however. I complain quite a bit about that - but then again, maybe I'm spoiled! :D

rmitchell
Sep 13, 2006, 09:57 PM
Ok Guys,

I know I've never posted before and I have 0 credibility in the apple rumors field but I've been sitting on something for about a month now that I wasn't sure when to let out.

I have a friend who was at a mobile conference on computing about a month ago who let me in on a demo of the apple iPhone that he saw. It had a covered company logo which he caught a glimpse of (it was a Samsung system.) The kicker on the whole system is the method of display built on the phone.

It has a built in projector that puts the display of the screen on any local area (such as a wall.) That is the secret to the apple iPhone. I'll understand if I'm bashed on here and have no support but I'm just reporting the information that I've been given (admittedly second hand but hopefully I'm on the right track.)

Rob

Flyinace2000
Sep 13, 2006, 09:58 PM
It better be GSM based so i can unlock it.

firsttube
Sep 13, 2006, 09:59 PM
Here's the real iPhone:

that's a mockup by that magazine, and nice "new" headphones.

swindmill
Sep 13, 2006, 09:59 PM
I really can't imagine Apple releasing a phone that scratches as easily as an iPod. And, as someone else pointed out, a click-wheel at the bottom would make the thing easy to drop...it would require two hands to use the wheel. I hope this rumor is coming closer to reality, but I can't imagine that rendition is anywhere near what the phone will look like.

840quadra
Sep 13, 2006, 10:01 PM

Your first point is intriguing and has me thinking too, however your 2nd is not too far from being "Apple". Apple has used code names for years. It is a known fact and something that is well documented throughout the web at credible sites like folklore.org and the likes run by former Apple employees.

Unless you were actually commenting on the "pre-announcement™" itself and not the codename

Regards,

840Quadra
AKA Cyclone

Old Smuggler
Sep 13, 2006, 10:03 PM
all i know is i refuse to buy it unless it has these features

http://www.apple-museum.gr.jp/museum/tenji/3d08.jpg

firsttube
Your first point is intriguing and has me thinking too, however your 2nd is not too far from being "Apple". Apple has used code names for years. It is a known fact and something that is well documented throughout the web at credible sites like folklore.org and the likes run by former Apple employees.

Unless you were actually commenting on the "pre-announcement™" itself and not the codename

Yeah, I think they want people to download content starting today knowing that they'll be able to watch it on their nice big flat screen tv in the living room soon.

Steve jobs said "nice big flat screen tv" a lot during the itv intro, didn't he?

xsnightclub
Maybe the reason for not having a traditional keypad is that this is actually the iPhone Shuffle.

Apple's market research team has concluded that people get tired of talking to the same people all time. And since the iPod Shuffle is such a hit playing songs randomly,
the new iPhone Shuffle will randomly dial numbers, so every call you make is never boring.

Got more than 240 numbers in your adressbook? No problem. Let iTunes autofill your iPhone shuffle and get a new telephonic experience every time. Mom follows Work. Home follows Pizza Parlor. iPhone shuffle loves to improvise. Take the Shuffle switch, for instance. Even if you’ve synced a particular call-list, you can shuffle numbers with a flick.

Lepton
Sep 13, 2006, 10:11 PM
Take a PSP. Chop the two ends off that hold the game controls. You have about a 3"x4"x.75 16:9 unit, all screen. User replaceable battery, openable back. quad GSM. Bluetooth. Touch screen, pressure sensitive to sense clicks. Touch brings up on-screen controls, translucent. Can bring up traditional number buttons, or a contacts list with a click wheel scroller. Speaker makes subtle click sounds like Mighty Mouse. Internet browser. EMail. The usual phone PDA stuff. *nix OS.

Apple starts a virtual carrier in its huge new data center. Does perfect syncing, has all you can eat Internet at 3G speeds.

It's also an iPod. Hard disk. Virtual click wheel. Stereo Bluetooth. iPod dock port. Headphone jack. Hold switch. No WiFi. Bluetooth will be extended soon to have more range and speed.

It's also a video iPod. Wide screen. Virtual click wheel. Plays movies.

It's also an IR remote for CE stuff and Macs. Interface ala Harmony Remote. IR port.

It's also an Apple Remote Desktop. Links to any Mac, puts 2nd Mac screen on the device. Controls your Mac through touch guestures, Apple Speech Recognition, Apple Text to Speech, through phone mik/spkr or Bluetooth headset. Hooks over Bluetooth if Mac is close, GPRS/3G connection of Mac is distant. File transfer too.

$500.

Silentwave
Sep 13, 2006, 10:13 PM

I agree. That's our steve all right :D

DaveK
Sep 13, 2006, 10:16 PM
You raise good points, but yesterday the big announcement was iTunes Movies. many people would be skeptical about downloading movies just a few bucks cheaper tahn you can Buy the dvd. So apple HAD to show that you could watch the downloaded movies on your TV somehow. Steve presented it correctly, the iTV was the missing link that made downloading movies via iTunes plausable.

Granted, you "will" be able to watch movies on your tv with iTV next year, probably when Leopard comes out. Tough spot for Apple to be in. It always seemed as though they were in command of their product announcements. Now it seems that they are responding to the likes of Amazon's Unboxed, LG's Choclate, and the Backberry Pearl(a coincidence that it hit stores Sept 12?). Or maybe it's just the other way around. These companies could be getting out their products knowing an Apple is rolling their way.

wpwj40e
Maybe the reason for not having a traditional keypad is that this is actually the iPhone Shuffle.

Apple's market research team has concluded that people get tired of talking to the same people all time. And since the iPod Shuffle is such a hit playing songs randomly,
the new iPhone Shuffle will randomly dial numbers, so every call you make is never boring.

Got more than 240 numbers in your adressbook? No problem. Let iTunes autofill your iPhone shuffle and get a new telephonic experience every time. Mom follows Work. Home follows Pizza Parlor. iPhone shuffle loves to improvise. Take the Shuffle switch, for instance. Even if you’ve synced a particular call-list, you can shuffle numbers with a flick.

ROFL:)

My phone does that now. Little did I know it is a *feature*.

Therese

ibook30
For the first time I am excited about an Apple phone !

Let's hope it projects stuff onto walls, and does the dishes too. :)

Cybix
Sep 13, 2006, 10:17 PM
thats not an artist rendition.. it's a very very poor photochop job. poorly aligned, among other things.... urgh..

Analog Kid
Sep 13, 2006, 10:17 PM
Chrome backed radio, eh? I suppose they could use the tin can and your head to form a slot antenna...

No mention of a camera-- I find it strange that Apple wouldn't include one and strange that a description of the phone wouldn't call it out as one of the early bullet items.

But then, I'm an iPhone skeptic so...

I do know that Apple has spread false information to ferret out leaks in the past-- I hope the source doesn't get caught in any kind of trap like that...

robotx21
Sep 13, 2006, 10:19 PM
Here is another possible mockup of the iPhone. This sounds more like the description:

digitalbiker
Sep 13, 2006, 10:21 PM
It's all good. ;) :)

So does anyone think Apple would go retro and offer a "digital rotary dial" option using the clickwheel for dialing digits? I think it would be kind of cool, but then again, I love the old rotary phones. :D

After further thought, I suppose it might be a novelty that wears off fast... :o ;)

I'm thinking more along the lines of a really thin flip phone. The ipod functionality would be on the outside of the flip (ie click wheel) and the keypad would be on the inside of the flip. Close the flip and the exposed LCD shows a normal ipod screen. Open the flp and the screen shows the phone interface.

firsttube
Sep 13, 2006, 10:26 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of a really thin flip phone. The ipod functionality would be on the outside of the flip (ie click wheel) and the keypad would be on the inside of the flip. Close the flip and the exposed LCD shows a normal ipod screen. Open the flp and the screen shows the phone interface.

good idea. what about the headphone port?

EagerDragon
Sep 13, 2006, 10:27 PM
a combo, phone, PDA, Mp3 player and I am sold. Unlike the iTV I would see a lot of value on this.

DaveK
Sep 13, 2006, 10:34 PM

Yes, it was the "pre-announcement" that I find very un-Apple. The fact that the product doesn't have a solid name just adds to the strangeness. Is there a precedent for this at Apple announcements. Sure, I've heard of products that I couldn't go out and get today or even for 4 weeks, but Q1 2007?

This seems to me the "plan b" that had to get announced because the real "one more thing", out of left field announcement, hit a snag.

Maybe it wasn't the iPhone, but something didn't go exactly a planned on the 12th.

Anyone hear how they liked the satcast of the keynote in London?

~Shard~
Sep 13, 2006, 10:34 PM

It would have to be really thin, but I like it! :cool:

DaveK
Sep 13, 2006, 10:37 PM
Does anyone know if the new HSDPA networks have the bandwidth to allow video iChat?

Kingsly
Sep 13, 2006, 10:38 PM
Wow, what a day. First I set off to buy new phone after waiting for any potential announcements on the 12th. To my disappointment the phone I wanted (and had been researching for at least 6 months) has been suddenly and without explanation dropped from Cingular's lineup. Come home to grieve and study up on blackberries and find, to my surprise/delight this story! :)

I, for one, believe the iPhone rumor. There is wayyy too much evidence pointing toward it. I've talked to people who work at 1 infinite loop who say that is commonly accepted knowledge that an iPhone is imminent. Thanks to Apple's compartmentalization, nobody knows exactly when or what. :mad:

(of interest, my source says she sees always Steve walking down the halls holding all kinds of gadgets nobody has ever seen before – always in a hurry to whatever department the gadget presumably came from)

Zoboomafoo
Sep 13, 2006, 10:39 PM

There's a number of reasons why the non-smart phone route is best.

1) try to do one thing and do it well. the ipod is great because it does one thing very well.
2) start from the bottom and build up.
3) it's always easier to add a feature than it is to take one away.

who knows, we'll see when/if it comes out. i tend to not like phones that have sliders.

SiliconAddict
Sep 13, 2006, 10:39 PM
I sure hope the headset is on the back. can you imagine the grease from it being pressed up against your head all day long. Shiny black really isn't the way to go with e device that is going to be a phone. Granted that is an artist's rendition so there is still some hope. But I think this may end up being another case of design over practicality. I could only imagine what something like that would look like at the end of a day of use.
Which would warrant putting it in a case which ends up defeating the purpose of the beauty of the device.

oober_freak
Sep 13, 2006, 10:41 PM
I think for the iPhone to be a success, Apple has to launch it in India and China.

The telecom industry is on fire here. Apple can't ignore a region which adds 5 million new connections per month.

If they're going the CDMA way, they can tie up with the various CDMA providers here. I'd rather want iPhone to be a GSM phone.

rmitchell
Sep 13, 2006, 10:43 PM
Yes, it was the "pre-announcement" that I find very un-Apple. The fact that the product doesn't have a solid name just adds to the strangeness. Is there a precedent for this at Apple announcements. Sure, I've heard of products that I couldn't go out and get today or even for 4 weeks, but Q1 2007?

This seems to me the "plan b" that had to get announced because the real "one more thing", out of left field announcement, hit a snag.

Maybe it wasn't the iPhone, but something didn't go exactly a planned on the 12th.

That is actually a very intutive outlook on the apple annoucement.

Quite Intersting
Rob

stew278
Sep 13, 2006, 10:44 PM
looks pretty lame. (what's been mocked up)

this rumored phone better have some great features most haven't thought of to make it a real seller. form factors like that alone won't sell much.

digitalbiker
Sep 13, 2006, 10:46 PM
It would have to be really thin, but I like it! :cool:

However the real innovation that is going to put Apple over the top is the built-in microfibre wiper blade that squeeges the LCD display after every call. This removes all trace of facial oil and keeps the screen beaming with that showroom shine! :eek:

Sorry, I had to sneek that one in.:D

drdan
Sep 13, 2006, 10:51 PM
After releasing updates to every iPod product line at Tuesday's Showtime event he left a very big opening for a major product announcement between now and the holidays. Steve said "I hope this gives you a feeling for what we've got lined up for this holiday season."

Steve Jobs chooses his words very carefully. If Apple's holiday line-up was now complete - he would have said so emphatically.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I'm almost certain that Santa has got one more thing in his bag for Christmas.

1) Isn't Steve Jobs on record saying that a phone is the one thing that you don't have to convince a consumer to carry in their pocket? As in: "the future of the iPod is cell phone integration."

2) Anyone who listened to Apple's last quarter financial results call jumped when they got to talking about phones - they practically came out and said they were working on one, and trying to get it to market asap.

3) Apple has been consistently impeccable at timing products to hit the market at the right time (Macbooks for graduation/back to school, new ipod releases for fall/christmas). They know Christmas is the time to release this.

4) The buzz over this has been growing to deafening levels both from the analysts and the nerds.

Especially with Steve's allusion to "more to come before Christmas", I'm betting on shiny new iPhones for Christmas.

iMikeT
Sep 13, 2006, 10:51 PM
I hope this thing has a touch screen.

williedigital
Sep 13, 2006, 10:52 PM
Two things

1) it seems like people are overexagerating with the "having to slide the clickwheel up to call anyone" thing. Everyone I know uses a contact list almost exclusively, something which could very easily be incorporated into the standard ipod interface (already is sort of). Calling the odd number i'd be fine with sliding it up. Perhaps they could introduce some really innovative contact list stuff software wise to make it even less necessary to "dial" people.

2) Maybe all the touchscreen stuff we think is for the video ipod is really for the phone and the dialpad and clickwheel both use a touch sensitive thing to work.

Rhema
Sep 13, 2006, 10:58 PM
Take a PSP. Chop the two ends off that hold the game controls. You have about a 3"x4"x.75 16:9 unit, all screen. User replaceable battery, openable back. quad GSM. Bluetooth. Touch screen, pressure sensitive to sense clicks. Touch brings up on-screen controls, translucent. Can bring up traditional number buttons, or a contacts list with a click wheel scroller. Speaker makes subtle click sounds like Mighty Mouse. Internet browser. EMail. The usual phone PDA stuff. *nix OS.

Apple starts a virtual carrier in its huge new data center. Does perfect syncing, has all you can eat Internet at 3G speeds.

It's also an iPod. Hard disk. Virtual click wheel. Stereo Bluetooth. iPod dock port. Headphone jack. Hold switch. No WiFi. Bluetooth will be extended soon to have more range and speed.

It's also a video iPod. Wide screen. Virtual click wheel. Plays movies.

It's also an IR remote for CE stuff and Macs. Interface ala Harmony Remote. IR port.

It's also an Apple Remote Desktop. Links to any Mac, puts 2nd Mac screen on the device. Controls your Mac through touch guestures, Apple Speech Recognition, Apple Text to Speech, through phone mik/spkr or Bluetooth headset. Hooks over Bluetooth if Mac is close, GPRS/3G connection of Mac is distant. File transfer too.

$500.

I would looove this idea, all around. although I really feel like the best thing for a smart phone is to have a keyboard. I really really dont think a virtual keyboard will work, because you can't feel yourself press the keys, and the keyboard would take up so much of the screen that you couldn't see what your supposed to type into.

but as far as it being a camera, video camera, have a simplified OS X operating system, having perfect sync. and being able to remote desktop into your mac, that would be amazing. Also, i think they should put more 3D into the OS design, mabye designing it after the front row look. Having a mobile version of Itunes that you could browse though your collection just like the new itunes 7. different things like that.

Also, how great would it be if you could make your own ring tones with your itunes library, like, choose 10 seconds from any song and set it as a ring tone.

I have to many ideas about what I would want in a Iphone. One thing, I really dont like iPhone as a name...how about iMobile? with all the talk about having all of your music with you, your photos, your videos, games, address book, etc. it could be branded as a mobile version of having a mac...iMobile.

I just think it sounds a lot better.

Lynxpoint
Sep 13, 2006, 11:04 PM
I just do not think Apple is going to introduce a cellular phone. The ideas sound great around here, but I don't see any good busness model for such a device. What is Apple going to make money on selling such a product?

macboy62
Sep 13, 2006, 11:04 PM
SoftBank are offering a new iPod nano free with the new Sharp 705SH phone...

http://www.vodafone.jp/special/index.html?cc_1001=

shecky
Sep 13, 2006, 11:05 PM
2) Maybe all the touchscreen stuff we think is for the video ipod is really for the phone and the dialpad and clickwheel both use a touch sensitive thing to work.

good point. for me after using a RAZR for the past year, i find myself always looking at the phone to dial a number; therefore a "virtual" keypad on a screen would be no different at all, barring the very slight (tho admittedly noticeable) physical feedback of hitting an actual button instead of a virtual one. having said all that, the idea of a iPod size (tho preferably something between a nano + a fullsize iPod) with a virtual keyboard for the phone/limited PDA stuff and a wheel for the music stuff sounds perfect for me. as long as its got something to the tune of 8GB like the new nano i would definitely get it, including swapping carriers if need be.

Zadillo
Sep 13, 2006, 11:07 PM

I think Steve Jobs has done a good job of explaining why they did something so un-Apple like. In the USA Today article about it, he told the reporter that there was no way they could announce the movie store but not also let consumers in on the fact that something like the iTV was coming soon. Otherwise Apple would be asked the obvious question of "Great, I can buy a movie, but what am I going to watch it on?" knowing that "Your Mac and your iPod" isn't enough of an answer.

-Zadillo

mlrproducts
Sep 13, 2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I think they want people to download content starting today knowing that they'll be able to watch it on their nice big flat screen tv in the living room soon.

Steve jobs said "nice big flat screen tv" a lot during the itv intro, didn't he?

It is a loaded term that is generic for HDTVs (plasma, LCD, what have you). Very appropriately used IMO.

berkleeboy210
Sep 13, 2006, 11:16 PM
I'm calling for another invite to go out w/ in the next 2 weeks saying "One More Thing" and we'll get the phone and the true vPod

DaveK
Sep 13, 2006, 11:17 PM
I'm hoping for something a little more than a slicker LG Chocolate that syncs with iLife.

Hs anyone seen the Synaptics Onyx? It's only a prototype, or is it?

http://www.synaptics.com/onyx/

Now this seems like the iPhone to me. I want an easily cleanable, hard to scratch touch screen, impeccable voice recognition, an onscreen clickwheel, and great text to speech, ala Alex from the Leopard demo to read me my e-mail while I'm driving to work, and iChat. Not asking for much am I?

I am also waiting for the day when Steve, while showing a new portable product, has the battery die on him. He plugs in the charger and makes the usual sheepish excuses about how this wasn't supposed to happen and stalls for about a minute to explain some of the other new features. He then picks up the unit and announces that while he was talking the unit has 80% of it's charge due to a new battery they are introducing today.

It's the Toshiba "Super Charge Battery"
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/toshibas-60second-charge-battery-037558.php

Now if they can only make the batteries not ignite. Shoot, I seem to have misplaced my Flying Car keys.

iProd
Sep 13, 2006, 11:18 PM
I am holding out on getting a new phone in hopes this will be a universal service phone so I can get it for free from Verizon :)

macfan881
Sep 13, 2006, 11:19 PM
I'm calling for another invite to go out w/ in the next 2 weeks saying "One More Thing" and we'll get the phone and the true vPod

one question any word on who will suport this COpany wise like Verizion cingular nextell etc or will this start off like The Espn phone?

BobbyDigital
Sep 13, 2006, 11:20 PM
Hello everyone! I've been a daily MacRumors.com nerd for about 2 years now, but I never took the time to register until today...

I am definitely going to buy an Apple phone when and if it becomes available. I'm sure they'll get the design and interface right, as they always do. I saw someone post something on here (or maybe it was another recent thread) claiming their friend saw the Apple phone branded as a Samsung at a mobile phone convention just recently (which I totally doubt, they would never bring it out in public before release)... I think they're talking about this phone:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadgetmobile.com/media/2006/08/sgh-z610.jpg
Samsung SGH-Z610 (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/08/29/samsungs-touchscreen-sgh-z610-sees-fcc-approval/)

I love the design of it, but I'm really not sure if Apple would abondon the click wheel on their first step into the cell phone market. One part of me wishes they would go with a full touch screen, but I think the click wheel will make it easier to market to the masses of iPod lovers.

Donz0r
Sep 13, 2006, 11:21 PM

that'd be two more things, no vPod soon. iPhone, we can only hope

dondark
Sep 13, 2006, 11:22 PM
I dont like touchscreen, we will make it dirty very easily.

Donz0r
Sep 13, 2006, 11:23 PM
Hello everyone! I've been a daily MacRumors.com nerd for about 2 years now, but I never took the time to register until today...

I am definitely going to buy an Apple phone when and if it becomes available. I'm sure they'll get the design and interface right, as they always do. I saw someone post something on here (or maybe it was another recent thread) claiming their friend saw the Apple phone branded as a Samsung at a mobile phone convention just recently (which I totally doubt, they would never bring it out in public before release)... I think they're talking about this phone:

[image removed]

I love the design of it, but I'm really not sure if Apple would abondon the click wheel on their first step into the cell phone market. One part of me wishes they would go with a full touch screen, but I think the click wheel will make it easier to market to the masses of iPod lovers.

touch screen dialing sucks, not being able to feel buttons is actually a big deal, even though most numbers are dialed through contacts list.

consumers won't fly for the touch screen thing, we have to remember apple is targeting the average american consumer, not us techno-nerdy macrumors folk

mlrproducts
Sep 13, 2006, 11:26 PM
MR should be happy, as it seems there are plenty of new, naive and ignorant noobs running around.

1) Read the darned article before you spout off about "well hows'I gonnda call wichout me dile pad?"

2) There is a slim to none change this will be any type of smart phone. Scratch that, there is no chance. I would post numbers but I don't have to, because anyone with common sense could put together that the number of non-smart phones outsell smart phones to about a billion to one. (However aside from the obvious mp3/aac playing abilities, it will be "enhanced" in the sense that it will have bluetooth and sync seamlessly with iSync.)

3) Touchscreen would be nice, but it seems as if Apple's patents never materialize. That, and 3b) any type of touch device [that already gets skin/hair oil on it] would be too dirty with fingerprints all over it.

4) Quit complaining about a slider. 4b) They are popular (which for the economically challenged=they sell well=more money for Apple). Also, I would ask that you really think about how often you use your "most recently dialed" list or phonebook vs. new numbers.

5) Technically the artist's rendition is not "nano-like," it is now "vintage retro-1st gen nano-like." ;)

6) While I don't want to challenge Arn's sources, it would be difficult to make the back true "chrome" as the iPods, due to signal issues (unless an external antenna was used, which is unlikely based on a whole slew of reasons I won't go into).

7) The phone will more than likely be GSM. You MIGHT get a CDMA version poor other folks, but not likely (and if so, perhaps only carried on Verizon, and not at release).

8) And #7 leads to real issues re: business. These include: will Apple become a virtual carrier, will the release the phone GSM unlocked and only Apple branded, will it be produced by another manufacturer (ie: Samsung) and attributed as such (unlikely), or are they going to go with the obvious Cingular release (and the possibility of adding to T-Mobile after a Cingular exclusive period). Lastly, worldwide release/availability issues.

EDIT:
9) Quit asking about live iChat video chat, it AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. A possible related item would be iChat texting (similar to current AOL, Yahoo, ICQ).

BobbyDigital
touch screen dialing sucks, not being able to feel buttons is actually a big deal, even though most numbers are dialed through contacts list.

Very true... I wish there was a way to make a touchscreen have a tactile feel... If there was a way, I'm sure Apple would be the one to do it.

dondark
I hope the iPhone can be use iChat and we can video chat with and Mac at any time.

freddiecable
Sep 13, 2006, 11:33 PM
I agree - a thing called capitalization - they have to develop an iPhone and it would be very stupid not to follow the iPod concept. That's why it takes so long I think...

But - there is nothing in this "news" that's close to "revealed"...

arn very rarely posts info from his own sources. When he does, that info is always correct. I'd bet a good deal of my savings that the iphone will look very similar to that pic.

peeInMyPantz
Sep 13, 2006, 11:34 PM
I think they are going to hold this for quite a while since they just released their new ipods. Since consumers are rushing to get the new ipods now.. holding it back a few months will make these ipod-owners think about buying iphones to replace their new ipods. So instead of releasing iphone now and let the consumers choose one of them.. they will want them to buy both..

I think it's the same reason why they aren't releasing merom versions of MB/MBP before school starts, because this is the time when everybody is rushing to get new laptops. Sale will probably fall quite a bit after that... so when everyone has a yonah MB/MBP... they then releases merom MB/MBP to stimulate sales again during school period.. tempting yonah owners to replace their laptops...

haha... just my opinion

mlochm
Sep 13, 2006, 11:34 PM
I just do not think Apple is going to introduce a cellular phone. The ideas sound great around here, but I don't see any good busness model for such a device. What is Apple going to make money on selling such a product?

everything- thats the point. It completes the picture, as SJ has said. They make money on increasing the functionality of everything. Now that you can use an iPod to transport songs seemlessly into iTunes on other computers (authorized ones...) I'm sure that this will be something of use in the iPhone- For example- if you're out and about in the world, and someone gives you their phone number, you save it to your contacts. When you get home and plug in your phone to the computer to charge, it syncs with address book. In turn, address book syncs the phone number you were emailed this morning to your iPhone. I don't even use address book but I would under those conditions. Thing I would love to see in the phone is bluetooth connectivity. as in it could be a bluetooth handset for a phone you already have. And when your contract is up with -insert your provider- you can get service with apple. That would be be nifty.

DaveK
Sep 13, 2006, 11:36 PM
I think Steve Jobs has done a good job of explaining why they did something so un-Apple like. In the USA Today article about it, he told the reporter that there was no way they could announce the movie store but not also let consumers in on the fact that something like the iTV was coming soon. Otherwise Apple would be asked the obvious question of "Great, I can buy a movie, but what am I going to watch it on?" knowing that "Your Mac and your iPod" isn't enough of an answer.

-Zadillo

I agree, but somehow watching content on "Your Mac and your iPod" until recently, was a good enough answer, and doesn't seem to have affected TV show sales on iTunes, even if it wasn't easy to watch them on our TV. I hope Steve keeps up this new thing of letting consumers in on what's ahead (the usual OS previews excluded).

Start the countdown to Q1 2007 when movie sales will take off.

thejadedmonkey
Sep 13, 2006, 11:40 PM
I hope the image isn't the iPhone. I didn't like the nano, and the 2nd gen ones aren't any better. They're all flat.. I don't like that. They need the bulge of the middle button that the mini and 1-4th gen iPods had. Yeah, there've been better renderings of "iPhones".

The other thing I'm worried about is that everyone is saying it's an iPod with phone functionality. That's not Apple at all. Apple focuses on one thing only, and then adds the rest. For an iPhone to happen, Apple would make a phone first, and then add music playback 2nd. not the other way around. That leaves me to believe that a screen with a wheel below it wouldn't be the best design.

Having said all this, I am in need of a new iPod, and a new phone.

mlrproducts
Sep 13, 2006, 11:41 PM
I hope the iPhone can be use iChat and we can video chat with and Mac at any time.

Not to be mean, I am being redundant, but the chances of that happening when/if this phone is released is about the same as a Powerbook G5 coming out in matching colors.

peeInMyPantz
Sep 13, 2006, 11:41 PM
i think iphone will have aluminium surface to match the new ipods. maybe same colour combi?

dondark
Sep 13, 2006, 11:46 PM
EDIT:
9) Quit asking about live iChat video chat, it AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. A possible related item would be iChat texting (similar to current AOL, Yahoo, ICQ).[/QUOTE]

Its just some kind of 3G and Skype technology, It s not hard to do it. But I think Apple isnt rich enuf to do that in the market.

roland.g
Sep 13, 2006, 11:48 PM
the iPhone will be cool.
But until then this is the best slider phone.
Nokia 8801

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57461

peeInMyPantz
Sep 13, 2006, 11:51 PM
the iPhone will be cool.
But until then this is the best slider phone.
Nokia 8801

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57461
nokia never fail in making ugly phones

dondark
Sep 13, 2006, 11:56 PM

Totally Agree!

roland.g
Sep 13, 2006, 11:57 PM

sorry but it's stainless steel, has a nice weight to it, the slider action is awesome (slides out on bearings made by BMW or Benz), plays AAC, so I can use any iTunes song for my Alarm or Ringtone or just media as well as radio reception built in, has bluetooth, not to mention a pretty kick ass golf game. Oh yeah, and it isn't a piece of junk like all those Moto Razrs.

dondark
Sep 14, 2006, 12:01 AM
I dont like American Tele company, they only have ugly phone to offer. I like those beautiful phones like Sharp, SonyErison or Samsung

iMacZealot
Sep 14, 2006, 12:01 AM
Its just some kind of 3G and Skype technology, It s not hard to do it. But I think Apple isnt rich enuf to do that in the market.

I think that Apple would make their phone a GSM phone to get more worldwide market rather than releasing it on CDMA. And I doubt they'd throw in 3G on a GSM phone because Cingular's 3G network is not the biggest right now. I think I read that Sprint's PowerVision is the biggest at the moment and still growing. T-Mobile just bought a TON of 3G bandwidth but isn't launching that until next year. So I don't think 3G would be in this phone because we aren't quite there......yet.

As for UMA, I'd be surprised if it didn't have a Wifi card. There are a lot of rumors saying that T-Mobile's launching a giant UMA service, which I wouldn't be surprised with the 7,000 wireless networks they own.

xPismo
Sep 14, 2006, 12:12 AM
Quite Intersting
Rob

Really? Honestly, this is the most uninteresting Apple product since the Performa series in my opinion. Yawn. Not compelling. The SJ RDF will probably help my opinion, but still. My phone works. Thats all I need. (gah, am I getting old?!?!)

Tito
Sep 14, 2006, 12:13 AM
This thing has the potential to be Apple's ultimate David attack on Goliath. There's a lot riding on this phone and they better make sure that they get it right because everyone is watching. If they have any problems the thing will be doomed. Remember the mp3 turf is theirs that all these phone manufactures and others are trying beat them at. Now Apple's taking these guys on in the phone industry's backyard. It won't be as easy as all the rumor mills are making it appear.

That said...I just had to recently switch to Cingular network and went with the freebie Nokia just because I know if I bought anything new this thing would come out the next day. And yes I'll probably purchase one if they get it right.

Mudbug
Sep 14, 2006, 12:14 AM
screen is scaled 16x10 format (don't know if that's right or not) - key shape/layout is unknown.

again, these are renditions, not the product itself. Although, I'd buy one...

chevyorange
Sep 14, 2006, 12:16 AM

I actually like the idea. There could be a virtual dial on the screen like an old school phone.

Silly me, though! :)

iMacZealot
Sep 14, 2006, 12:21 AM
I actually like the idea. There could be a virtual dial on the screen like an old school phone.

Silly me, though! :)

The hell with that. Just put in a rotary dial. :)

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/05/sillyiphone.jpg

mpstrex
Sep 14, 2006, 12:22 AM
I agree about the whole "looks like the LG chocolate" conversations, but I also agree that the LG Chocolate ripped off the iPod and in some ways, beat Apple to the punch. I understand it's only fair, from many reviewers.

I hope an iPhone will be better than the Rokr.

mpstrex

ps-A lot of smart phones allow you to dial on the touch screen, like the Palm Treo. If apple did that and made it easy to put iCal appointments in there, I won't buy a Smart Phone. Then again, $300 for a Razr when they were still expensive makes me want to hang on to that thing.

iMacZealot
Sep 14, 2006, 12:27 AM
The mockups always look real, but when the actual product comes out, it's wayyy cooler than the mockups. Look at the 5G iPods and its fakes.

Everyone seems to know that Apple is waiting to release a phone. It's only natural after all the success the iPod's doing.

As for when this phone comes out, It'll probably be Cingular at a "one more thing" event in october just like last year.

yg17
Sep 14, 2006, 12:29 AM

Dude, those are totally coming out next Tuesday.

mpstrex
Sep 14, 2006, 12:37 AM
I heard I think here at macrumors that Sony's mp3/phone is selling like hotcakes and I think they branded it as a walkman/cell phone.

What I hope is that the iPhone will be on Cingular, since my entire family and most of my friends are on it. I'd pass on the phone if they do one of those new deals where you're piggy-backing on other networks like Alltel (alltell, altell??) or it's on another carrier.

mpstrex

mdntcallr
Sep 14, 2006, 12:38 AM
sounds like a nice starter level phone/ipod.

but what I and many other people want is a smart phone, for:
Treo/Blackberry like functionality
Camera with decent megapixel, maybe 3 megapixels (settle for 1.3) that moves.
so you can have "isight" built in. also ichatav with video.
Ipod, with 80 gb hard drive.
Video capability, both from itunes, and even with streamed cellular broadband via slingbox or from more

oh well... to dream

8Phoenix
Sep 14, 2006, 12:41 AM
With due respect. The design looks good but I think it is lacking a few things.

I am not even sure if iPhone will be out for a while. Because assume the patient drawings on appleinsider is true, then it is likely that Apple might install iSight in the iPhone. (camera feature of the phone)

I am most expecting the iPhone to be a pda, rather than a mobile phone. Most likely a 3G phone. iChat, iCal, Address Book, and lite version of Mail and safari is what i would expect to see. Even iTunes and Quicktime. Lite version of course. (most essential would be ical, addressbook, mail)

I think more revolutionary of the design is that if you open iCal, Mail, safari etc you would have to turn the mobile horizitional for wide screen reading, and the wheel is most likely to be a touch screen.

Can I also add, I think it is extremely unlikely apple would do the slide down for the numpad. Because teh slider would impair your touch on the pad and make it uncomfortable, especially for long txt.

Because of all this, we will have to wait a bit, until Apple are able to pack all this into a small phone which I don't think they want to be maximum 1.5 size larger than Ipod Nano (and probably will be thicker but too thick)

dondark
Sep 14, 2006, 12:49 AM
I think that Apple would make their phone a GSM phone to get more worldwide market rather than releasing it on CDMA. And I doubt they'd throw in 3G on a GSM phone because Cingular's 3G network is not the biggest right now. I think I read that Sprint's PowerVision is the biggest at the moment and still growing. T-Mobile just bought a TON of 3G bandwidth but isn't launching that until next year. So I don't think 3G would be in this phone because we aren't quite there......yet.

As for UMA, I'd be surprised if it didn't have a Wifi card. There are a lot of rumors saying that T-Mobile's launching a giant UMA service, which I wouldn't be surprised with the 7,000 wireless networks they own.

Ya, i know 3G isnt that popular in America, but i expect the iPhone at least should have built-in WiFi like many Phones in today's market. So we can use the iPhone to video LIVE chat with the other Mac users or iPhone users through the internet. Since many Universities have Wi-Fi covered the whole school, so i think it will benefit abot students. And more and more hot-spot now.

dondark
Sep 14, 2006, 12:51 AM
I heard I think here at macrumors that Sony's mp3/phone is selling like hotcakes and I think they branded it as a walkman/cell phone.

What I hope is that the iPhone will be on Cingular, since my entire family and most of my friends are on it. I'd pass on the phone if they do one of those new deals where you're piggy-backing on other networks like Alltel (alltell, altell??) or it's on another carrier.

mpstrex

I think iPhone better to be an UNLOCK phone.

bretm
Sep 14, 2006, 12:53 AM
Really? Honestly, this is the most uninteresting Apple product since the Performa series in my opinion. Yawn. Not compelling. The SJ RDF will probably help my opinion, but still. My phone works. Thats all I need. (gah, am I getting old?!?!)

Yes, you're sounding very old. It's not the form factor. It's the software. Your phone's software sucks. All phones software is horrible. It's the same with the PC market. The whole integration is horrible. Apple streamlines processes with their software and they happen to understand good physical design and style. You're just not going to see many companies like that in what's left of your lifetime.

macboy62
Sep 14, 2006, 01:02 AM

mpstrex

Here in Japan Sony's Chaku-Uta (mobile/cell phone music) dominates the market. With Chaku-Uta digital music sales out selling iTunes. Almost every Japanese phone can play Chaku or Chaku-Uta music.

The Cell phone networks in Japan do have good connections to the internet and mobile devices sell extremely well here. iTunes on a cell phone would work well here but Sony and Chaku-Uta may have it sewn up.

iMacZealot
Sep 14, 2006, 01:03 AM
Ya, i know 3G isnt that popular in America, but i expect the iPhone at least should have built-in WiFi like many Phones in today's market. So we can use the iPhone to video LIVE chat with the other Mac users or iPhone users through the internet. Since many Universities have Wi-Fi covered the whole school, so i think it will benefit abot students. And more and more hot-spot now.

It's not that it's popular, it's just that we never get around to doing the recent when it comes to mobile phones.

I'm not sure if we'll get video chat. I hardly see any phones that can do that with the exception of the Nokia N80, but still, you can't do that anywhere here anyways.

Most smartphones don't have Wifi in them. I don't think there's been a single Blackberry or Treo with one. There have been a few with Windows Mobile 5.0, but that's pretty much it.

Jimmieboy
Sep 14, 2006, 01:12 AM
sorry but it's stainless steel, has a nice weight to it, the slider action is awesome (slides out on bearings made by BMW or Benz), plays AAC, so I can use any iTunes song for my Alarm or Ringtone or just media as well as radio reception built in, has bluetooth, not to mention a pretty kick ass golf game. Oh yeah, and it isn't a piece of junk like all those Moto Razrs.
Sure it's a nice phone. My dad had it for about a week. He ended up returning it beacuse of the really bad battery life. It lasted not even a day. He's on his phone a large portion of the day because he owns a business. He returned it and ended up getting some other nokia can't remmebr the number.

afields
Sep 14, 2006, 01:15 AM
gahhhhh.....these iphone rumors are driving me crazy....with anticipation. When is the gonna finally happen? Hopefully before the end of the year.

Avicdar
Sep 14, 2006, 01:15 AM

With all of this noise about 'I wont buy it if it isn't a blackberry killer', etc its no wonder people are having trouble seeing the forest through all the trees.

Apple = simplicity in form and function.

The number ONE feature of this device is that it eliminates the need to carry both a phone AND an iPod. Thats it - simple. You have dropped the need to carry around an iPod and a phone without losing either.

The click wheel is going to make finding people in your list and calling them a breeze.

My only hope is that they throw away address book and give us something nicer to keep track of our contact lists. I hate address book, it really bites.

iMacZealot
Sep 14, 2006, 01:16 AM
Sure it's a nice phone. My dad had it for about a week. He ended up returning it beacuse of the really bad battery life. It lasted not even a day. He's on his phone a large portion of the day because he owns a business. He returned it and ended up getting some other nokia can't remmebr the number.

I like the 8801, but I definitely think it's overpriced at $399. You could get a Sidekick 3 prepaid for that price.

mashinhead
Sep 14, 2006, 01:17 AM
Holy Guacamole!

That is Sick!

They need to come out with that right now!

really:confused: i think it looks horrible. I mean everything in the world doesn't have to look like an ipod. It's not an ipod, its a phone, make something new. They're forcing it. It looks really bad.

chuckles1337
Sep 14, 2006, 01:19 AM
"One reliable MacRumors.com source has provided a more detailed description of one of the prototypes for the upcoming Apple Phone. The description has yielded this artist's rendition of the phone. (Click image for larger view). The phone offers a familiar look to iPod owners, with the preservation of the iPod click-wheel.

The click-wheel is closer to the bottom of the device with the screen taking a vertical orientation. The click-wheel portion of the device reportedly slides down to reveal a traditional numeric dial-pad underneath. The front is black, while the back is chrome like the current iPod."

Basically someone said "it will look like nano but with a bigger screen, and the scroll wheel slides down for the keyboard," then macrumors had some one do a mock up of it. (A poor one at that, shouldn't there be a discernable gap between the part that slides down, and the part that doesn’t)

Is it just me or does the scroll wheel sliding down seem backwards? The revealed keypad would be recessed and in the middle of the phone, sounds awkward, and unattractive. Also would we not consistently hit buttons/scrolling on the scroll wheel while dialing a number?

Bibulous
Sep 14, 2006, 01:20 AM
gahhhhh.....these iphone rumors are driving me crazy....with anticipation. When is this gonna finally happen? Hopefully before the end of the year.

I think it will be here for Christmas, if not then not till next summer :(

Jimmieboy
Sep 14, 2006, 01:21 AM
I like the 8801, but I definitely think it's overpriced at $399. You could get a Sidekick 3 prepaid for that price.
Sure is overpriced! Over in Australia it's around $1200. The one good thing I liked was the diamond coated dsiplay. It was scratch proof. Maybe apple should diamond coat their iphone! :p

EDIT: Actually I just did a bit of research. I think my claim that they diamond coated their displays is false. No one take my word on it.

woodman
Sep 14, 2006, 01:23 AM
Instead of having a slide-down clickwheel that reveals buttons, why not just have the clickwheel behave like those old roatary phones. You can just scroll around a circle of numbers on the screen and click to select it. That'd be cleaner. Of course text messages are a different thing :)

While I'm here, I'd just like to reiterate my belief that Apple will have it's own network and not offer its phone to other carriers (they don't want it anyway). They will lease lines like Boost or ESPN does.

Although I've been shot down on this before, I still believe it and I've even heard media mention the same thing, so I'd be willing to bet. (In fact my Jan-07 call options are a bet!).

jmeyoung
Sep 14, 2006, 01:27 AM
Looks neat however if it doesn't have a good calendar and sync w/ iCal it will be useless for me.

I would love to get rid of this Treo I got, but I can't stand putting in any kind of text (calendar appointment, text message, or according to rumors an iChat conversation) with a scroll wheel or a basic numberpad w/ 3-4 letters crammed on each key. Knowing apple though, I will be surprised if they release anything with a full keyboard like the Treo and Blackberrys have.

Still interested to see this thing see the light of day, even though I doubt I will be getting one.

mohaukachi
Sep 14, 2006, 01:29 AM
so who else thinks this looks just like the chocolate?

http://www.dagadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/lg_kg800.jpg

sjw
Sep 14, 2006, 01:33 AM
Out of all the iPhone renditions I have seen this one is by far the best looking (certainly doesn't stray from familiar territory) and the ONLY one I could actually picture on the shelf at the Apple store.

Just not too hot on the Noka-style slide out keypad, I would prefer if it slid out from the back or swivelled down. And if they brought out a clamshell as well I would be a very happy chappy.

If Apple gets it right this will be the *ultimate* music phone.

dondark
Sep 14, 2006, 01:35 AM
It's not that it's popular, it's just that we never get around to doing the recent when it comes to mobile phones.

I'm not sure if we'll get video chat. I hardly see any phones that can do that with the exception of the Nokia N80, but still, you can't do that anywhere here anyways.

Most smartphones don't have Wifi in them. I don't think there's been a single Blackberry or Treo with one. There have been a few with Windows Mobile 5.0, but that's pretty much it.

I bought a XDA II PDA phone TWO or Three years ago already have WiFI.

mahonmeister
Sep 14, 2006, 01:44 AM
This is just torture. If they get it out before christmas then great. Otherwise I'd rather anticipate iTV, C2D Books and mini, and Leopard.

nomad01
Sep 14, 2006, 01:47 AM
Its an ipod with a longer screen and a slider.....well at least for me I see nothing too interesting in it...just another ipod you can talk to.
Bless

Yep I agree, it's not a revolutionary design but I'm REALLY more interested in what it will do. I'm really excited by an Apple phone operating system. Mobile iCal? Mobile Widgets? Who knows? Could just be an iPod with limited phone functionality.

Bring it on! :-)

dondark
Sep 14, 2006, 01:48 AM
IF iPhone comes out right after the new iPod, the sale's of the lower-end iPod may be influenced by the iPhone.

dondark
Sep 14, 2006, 01:49 AM
I hope iPhone will have a good sync with the Mac. If i am only looking for a pretty cell phone, there are a lot in the japanese market.

Donz0r
Sep 14, 2006, 01:52 AM
I hope iPhone will have a good sync with the Mac. If i am only looking for a pretty cell phone, there are a lot in the japanese market.

WTf man of course it will sink well jesus wtf is this a rehehtetorical quesiton1?!!!??! omfg i hatye stupid posts, but we have the same name coooooll!!!!!! ogjsorry i'm just a little drunk right now 1woohoo colelge partty!

Mal
Sep 14, 2006, 02:05 AM
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Seriously, that thing looks awful. I know it's just an "artists rendition", but that artist deserves to be taken outside and shot. If Apple brings out one of those, I will have lost all my faith in Jonathan Ives and the design team. No, I won't abandon Apple, but I will abandon my dream of owning an Apple phone someday.

jW

iMacZealot
Sep 14, 2006, 02:09 AM
I bought a XDA II PDA phone TWO or Three years ago already have WiFI.

I should have said anything with Windows that's a phone. But that's my point: basically, the only types of phones that have Wifi in them are some "mobile" windows devices.

Happy Now? :)

jacg
Sep 14, 2006, 02:14 AM
Wouldn't the scroll wheel be difficult to use right at the bottom of the device like that?

Veldek
Sep 14, 2006, 02:14 AM
screen is scaled 16x10 format (don't know if that's right or not) - key shape/layout is unknown.

again, these are renditions, not the product itself. Although, I'd buy one...I think the buttons would be way too small to use them. But the overall looks would be quite nice.

After G
Sep 14, 2006, 02:17 AM
I think that the phone interface won't have a click-wheel. Rather, it will be all screen with an on-screen wheel changing to an on-screen keypad. No slider action whatsoever. Maybe a hard switch for on/off, answer, and phonebook, but that's about all I'd put on the phone. It'll save on cost and hardware complexity too, not having to include a wheel.

Interface? Regular phone ... may be a smartphone if they figure out how to do the keyboard. Input is always questionable on small devices because there isn't room. Bluetooth perhaps? That's more $ down the drain for a keyboard :(

I hope I have the funds to buy one when one of these suckers comes out. Both GSM and CDMA would be better, but if there's only one, it should be GSM. It's easier for people to switch their phones that way, instead of having the cellphone stores cluttered up.

Good thing my sister's RAZR is dying ... maybe I'll tell her to get someone else's phone (on the cheap) when these drop (if she doesn't have enough for an Apple phone).

Marx55
Sep 14, 2006, 02:29 AM
How to make it a best seller:

Being a true smart phone, capable of booting Mac OS X mobile (to be released) and thus being used as a wireless computerless remote for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations made on Mac or Windows.

Will sell millions on corporate, education and domestic markets.

With a huge halo effect!!!

BWhaler
Sep 14, 2006, 02:37 AM
This product cannot come soon enough.

Every single phone on the market stinks.

My wife buster her phone today, and called me for a recommendation. All she wants as a Mom is a phone with a long battery life and great reception.

She left the Cingular store with a crappy phone with a million features she will never use.

Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 14, 2006, 02:44 AM
Just release te phone already. How hard can it be???
I dont care if the design looks like the old Nano. I just want a Nano with phone capabilities.

netdog
Sep 14, 2006, 02:49 AM
Go away- just go away.

Um...this site is called MacRumors. Perhaps you shouldn't read the threads on the iFon if you aren't interested. Just a thought.

TangoCharlie
Sep 14, 2006, 03:15 AM
Finally is this it?
No. ;)

TangoCharlie
Sep 14, 2006, 03:17 AM
Sure is overpriced! Over in Australia it's around $1200. The one good thing I liked was the diamond coated dsiplay. It was scratch proof. Maybe apple should diamond coat their iphone! :p

EDIT: Actually I just did a bit of research. I think my claim that they diamond coated their displays is false. No one take my word on it.

Diamond wouldn't be a good choice for a display coating.... Sapphire would
be much better.

Evangelion
Sep 14, 2006, 03:44 AM

Nokia actually has a phone with clickwheel and no keypad, the 7380. Anyway, the Apple Phone does have a keypad as well.

iJaz
Sep 14, 2006, 03:58 AM
I want one :cool:

A.Fairhead
Sep 14, 2006, 04:01 AM
"A taste of things to come" being said by Jobs at the same event as the release of a way to 'type' on an iPod with just the clickwheel :rolleyes:

I don't think there would be a great need for a numpad if dialling, SMS, etc. can all be done from this wheel?

I currently believe that if one is on the way, it would look a lot more like the iPod video of today than we think.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/09/dsc_0870.jpg

EDIT: Picture.

Evangelion
Sep 14, 2006, 04:03 AM

I wished Nokia came up with a successor to Nokia 7110. That phone ROCKED! Remember the stiletto-phones from The Matrix? Those phones didn't really exist. They were modified 8110's, real 8110 had a "manual" slide-mechanism. But the 7110... That's how they worked. You pushed a button, and the phone just snapped open. Very cool, and very, very sexy.

They had such a great design years ago, and it just boggles the mind that they are not using it anymore. 8800 does have something similar, but it opens "gracefully", whereas 7110 snapped open.

halhiker
Sep 14, 2006, 04:34 AM
"A taste of things to come" being said by Jobs at the same event as the release of a way to 'type' on an iPod with just the clickwheel :rolleyes:

I don't think there would be a great need for a numpad if dialling, SMS, etc. can all be done from this wheel?

I currently believe that if one is on the way, it would look a lot more like the iPod video of today than we think.

I have to think this is VERY possible. Why is a num pad even needed in most cases? I know who I want to call. I have their number synced from my address book. I scroll down to their name and press call. No dialing needed.

Sep 14, 2006, 04:51 AM
My wife busted her phone today, and called me for a recommendation. All she wants as a Mom is a phone with a long battery life and great reception.

She left the Cingular store with a crappy phone with a million features she will never use.

It's too bad the Motorola MOTOFONE (http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details.jsp?globalObjectId=164) isn't available yet. It would have been perfect. A phone where battery life, reception and ease of use are the main features? Finally some gets it.

Sep 14, 2006, 04:53 AM
I think that the phone interface won't have a click-wheel. Rather, it will be all screen with an on-screen wheel changing to an on-screen keypad. No slider action whatsoever. Maybe a hard switch for on/off, answer, and phonebook, but that's about all I'd put on the phone. It'll save on cost and hardware complexity too, not having to include a wheel.

That's what the recent Apple patents lead me to believe. Hopefully this iPod nano with the slide out keyboard is just an early concept. A very early concept.

Sep 14, 2006, 04:54 AM
IF iPhone comes out right after the new iPod, the sale's of the lower-end iPod may be influenced by the iPhone.

Perhaps that is why the 5G iPod had such a minor update after a whole year not to mention a price drop. Got to make way for the more expensive iPhone next month.

puuukeey
Sep 14, 2006, 04:55 AM
New and improved idiocy!
• built in SCSI zip DAT minidisc and floppy drive
• liquid cooled
• tamagotchi jenga and sodoku
• its pin compatible with amd ppc motorola and GSM phones
• stereoscopic goggles
• Java Basic C++ Logo smalltalk and TCP/IP/I really gotta pee.
• blood tests with out painful pin pricks
• support vonage and skype
• 5 blade action
• runs on pure corn (not biodiesil, just plain corn)
• recieves faxes
• brews the perfect cappuccino
•multitouch 3d oled display with 40,000 songs
•hdmi port which plugs into your face!!!!!!
•fight off terr'ists.
• USB PLIAR WIRE

• ask your doctor if iPhone is right for you
• ichat av
• full of zagat resteraunt reviews
• signs checks with laser etching
•iTunes built in to the purpose built hardware
•surfs the web with firefox and QT
• reminds you to take your pills
•better syncing with ical, iLife, Ideath, and iWork, and iSocialSecurity!
• voice control, voice synthesis, brail and esperanto
• eats kitties
• automatically downloads the latest harry potter and tiny nibbles
• integrated second life.
•complete support you tube enabled footwear!!!!
•SDIF, WAVE,SDII,AIFF,RAW, mp1, mp2 mp3 mp4, ogg vorbis and throgs neck, 1300 kbps per second!!!!evendy levin!
• going to play nintendo DS games with the multitouch 3d display and
• compatibility with windows, 3d studio max and built in google
•come in white plastic, black and red Utube version and special all black marilyn manson version fully loaded with nietze audio books
• the second version will be in the platinum and titanium.
• does dialup
• talking moose
* its going to expand the apple brand into the toaster territory
• it will never be released in france
• HAHA NEWTONS!!!!
• eats palm treos and has little gadget sex with side kicks
• plugs straight into your new icar,VW beetle, PT cruiser, and dodge neon.... Hi.
• expandable, future proof and retractable
• the batteries have gun powder in them
• it's got a virtual jeff raskin on it.
• taser and pepper spray
• 96 kHz 24bit with thousands of colors.
• backward sideways and forward compatible
• its all offloaded on to the graphics card.
• act now and get a free pass to the front of the genius bar line
• incompatible with verizon
• blows moores law out of the water
• HD DVD BluRay CD and 8track compatible
• gets its time from an international universal atomic clock server in cupertino HQ
• mapquest on star and RSS feeds and pod/vid/textcasts
• screen saver module with flying toasters.
• exclusively on verizon network
• boss mode
• anti virus software so hackers dont steal you "home made" pornos
• the DRM code adds nin terabytes to the phone totaling 9 extra lbs
• it slices it dices and for god sake stop this fricken rumor

If you experience chest pain, crashes, nausea, fatal errors, or any other discomforts during email or sex, seek immediate medical help. The most common side effects of iPhone use are headache, facial flushing, and upset stomach, and strained eyes. Less commonly, bluish vision, blurred vision, or sensitivity to light may briefly occur. In rare instances, men using iPhone (oral erectile dysfunction medicines, including iPhone) reported a sudden decrease or loss of vision. It is not possible to determine whether these events are related directly to these medicines or to other factors. If you experience sudden decrease or loss of vision, stop using iPhone, including iPhone, and call a doctor right away.

Although erections lasting for more than 4 hours may occur rarely with all ED treatments in this drug class, to avoid long-term injuries, it is important to seek immediate medical help.

If you are older than age 65, or have serious liver or kidney problems, your doctor may start you at iPhoneShuffle. If you are taking protease inhibitors, such as for the treatment of HIV, your doctor may recommend a 25-mg dose and may limit you to a maximum single dose of 25 mg of iPhone in a 48-hour period.

gkhaldi
Sep 14, 2006, 05:15 AM
When i just went to MR, and this popped up, I almost had a heart attack. wallet ready before the story eved loaded. I was quite dissapointed. i am waiting for this SO much. this is the one device i would bu at the drop of a hat

andreas

Ditto :p

Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 14, 2006, 05:17 AM

I think you got something there.

jellomizer
Sep 14, 2006, 05:48 AM

I think it would be kinda cool in a retro way. Just put the numbers on the click wheel. while most people just select the person on the list. which the iPod are really good at.

Tymmz
Sep 14, 2006, 05:53 AM
Can't believe it until I see it in stores. Sorry.

Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 14, 2006, 06:01 AM
I think it would be kinda cool in a retro way. Just put the numbers on the click wheel. while most people just select the person on the list. which the iPod are really good at.
How many times do you actually punch in the numbers on your cellphone today? I tend to find more or less all numbers I call from my phone book or push "call back". It is very rare that I use the keypad.

Zimmy
Sep 14, 2006, 06:21 AM
Um how about to send a text? i used the nokia with the scroll thing to write a text, dam it takes too long..

Steve needs a world wide acceptable design, and not included a keypad, or call, hang up buttons, the phone is gonna have to have it. .

zim

whooleytoo
Sep 14, 2006, 06:22 AM
It seems very odd that Apple would adopt the iPod nano look 'n' feel on the iPhone, when they've just dropped it on the nano itself. On the other hand, it's possible the nano's look was changed to differentiate it from the upcoming iPhone - though I don't buy it.

The scroll wheel looks very low on the front of the device, meaning it's hard to use it with your thumb without the phone toppling out of your hand (as with many current phones).

Whatever about the design, if Apple could make any attractive phone, which is stable(!!), with a snappy UI (!!!), and with tight integration with the Mac (contacts, calendars/schedulers, perhaps even tighter integration with Address Book), I'd snap it up.

Zimmy
Sep 14, 2006, 06:34 AM
i agree i would snap it up the day it comes out..

on a side note: entry level mac mini is .01p cheaper :D

ZIm

bdkennedy1
Sep 14, 2006, 06:51 AM
Whatever. Why would Apple base its phone technology on the first generation Nano that scratched too much? The headline should have read, "Apple Phone Concept Revealed".

dernhelm
Sep 14, 2006, 06:53 AM
New and improved idiocy!
• built in SCSI zip DAT minidisc and floppy drive
• liquid cooled

<snip>

Someone has way too much time on their hands... ;)

spine
Sep 14, 2006, 06:54 AM
I think its very telling that Jobs closed the Showtime event by saying:

"Apple is in your den, living room, car, pocket. I think you see where we are going with this."

Is he saying that Apple's plan is to be everywhere?
Probably, and a cell phone certainly completes that plan.

macboy62
Sep 14, 2006, 06:57 AM
Okay, check out this phone and then tell me what you would like to see on your iPhone.

http://www.vodafone.jp/mb/en/product/3G/905sh/index.html

http://www.vodafone.jp/mb/en/product/3G/905sh/images/sub_image02.jpg

peeInMyPantz
Sep 14, 2006, 07:02 AM
Okay, check out this phone and then tell me what you would like to see on your iPhone.

http://www.vodafone.jp/mb/en/product/3G/905sh/index.html

http://www.vodafone.jp/mb/en/product/3G/905sh/images/sub_image02.jpg
this is ugly. i hope iphone is nowhere near this

xenotaku
Sep 14, 2006, 07:05 AM
the iPhone is going to be a useless product unless they release it in big enough sizes to replace my iPod. It's like carrying two ipods around. I already have a 60 gig...why would I spend the extra money to buy an expensive phone that only holds 5 gigs or something? It's just a dumb idea, unless they release major sizes that can replace the big ipods. I don't know why everyone is drooling over this thing.

discounteggroll
Sep 14, 2006, 07:07 AM

actually steve is going for the nostalgic approach...you gotta wind the clickwheel and then be connected to a switchboard operator who will then connect your call

gloss
Sep 14, 2006, 07:08 AM

This was great.

stracky
Sep 14, 2006, 07:09 AM
a ipod nano with phone function really isnt anythign amazing and would be well behind current technology, they should be fully going for that crazy multi device that was patented lately. at least that would be up with or infront of other technology.

2 iPhones,
- iphone (nano) base phone and cheaper, limited abilties
- iPhone (multifunction device) more expensive and more pda like.

peeInMyPantz
Sep 14, 2006, 07:12 AM
the iPhone is going to be a useless product unless they release it in big enough sizes to replace my iPod. It's like carrying two ipods around. I already have a 60 gig...why would I spend the extra money to buy an expensive phone that only holds 5 gigs or something? It's just a dumb idea, unless they release major sizes that can replace the big ipods. I don't know why everyone is drooling over this thing.
ppl are going to want it because it's a phone. I will buy it for the look.

DPazdanISU
Sep 14, 2006, 07:15 AM
I just posted earlier today about how I was waiting for the Apple iPhone to upgrade my RAZR... but honestly thats it?

I feel like the only one who looks at that design and says "blah". Its a horrible design for a phone. Its a nano with a bigger screen. Thats it. There are 1000 phones out there now that look just like this.

I can't believe this is what we've been waiting for years and god knows how much in R&D for?

I'm a much bigger fan of the iChat Mobile. (I know its fake but its a much better idea than this. Granted it needs some work too...)

http://idisk.mac.com/mox358/Public/ichat_mobile.jpg

apple makes its hardware designs simple and elegant, that is how they will make their cell phone, simple and elegant. While it may look very similar to other cellphones the software and the capabilities will be next to none. Try for instance "livingston" a technology apple has where you click and drag an app or widget onto a mobile device (in this case cell phone). Think of the implications of being able to bring what you were working on with you on your cell phone and be able to alter it

apple isn't doing good b/c of how their computers look (you can find others that look just like macs but still suck the big one)

aswitcher
Sep 14, 2006, 07:23 AM
Cross the 8GB black iPod nano with a decent phone, add bluetooth earphones, and maybe even put in GPS, and we have a winner.

adamfilip
Sep 14, 2006, 07:56 AM
just saw this on the register
not sure if its been posted before

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/14/apple_iphone_at_large/

asphalt-proof
Sep 14, 2006, 08:10 AM
How to make it a best seller:

Being a true smart phone, capable of booting Mac OS X mobile (to be released) and thus being used as a wireless computerless remote for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations made on Mac or Windows.

Will sell millions on corporate, education and domestic markets.

With a huge halo effect!!!

That was my thought as well. Just as they did with the iPod and consumer identification. They could make serious inroads in business by showing them how to do integration right while looking cool at the same time. Blackberries and Treos are an integral part of the business person's life right now and introducing a phone with those functions (done better of course) in a beautiful form could change a lot of perceptions about Apple in the business community.
Apple could change their marketshare dramatically by getting businesses to 'switch'. With the option of running XP on Macware, its no longer an impossibility. Steve has been able to anticipate the consumer market pretty well, maybe he could do the same in the business arena.

Prints
Sep 14, 2006, 08:10 AM

I'll take one of those !! Sign me up !

Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 14, 2006, 08:17 AM
Cross the 8GB black iPod nano with a decent phone, add bluetooth earphones, and maybe even put in GPS, and we have a winner.
Exactly! Just how hard can that be??? All the technology has been available for years. I just dont get what is holding back Apple.

A.Fairhead
Sep 14, 2006, 08:21 AM
Whether the iPhone, if/on release, is in two models (similar to the nano/video relationship) or not, here's a mockup I've just created, depicting what I would expect of the device at the moment.

I don't usually do mock-ups (this is in fact my first one) but with all the numpad/touchscreen/slide-down ideas in the works, I wanted to show a solution which is based very much on what we have right now. It would make sense that the devices would sit snugly in line with Apple's other mobile products.

http://www.adamfairhead.co.uk/iphone.jpg

Music-Man
Sep 14, 2006, 08:21 AM

Yes it has.

I really like this mock-up from a little while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5qGn7kIkMA

skunk
Sep 14, 2006, 08:24 AM
Yes it has.It was a MacUser UK cover picture months ago.

SodaPopMonster
Sep 14, 2006, 08:48 AM
I doubt that the iPhone will be something anyone expects- It'l be something that will make people say "We should have thought of that!".

greg6028
Sep 14, 2006, 08:50 AM
It's coming soon!
Thinking of the event last Tuesday, it was interesting that Steve finished the Keynote with,
On your desktop, in your car, in your pocket in your home theater....
He was pointing out where Apple products are - so why not your phone.
Jobs had a lot of events last year in the final quarter. I can see him doing another one soon.
(I know there is one coming up next week, but my bet on one in Oct. for the iPhone!)

satty
Sep 14, 2006, 08:51 AM
Whether the iPhone, if/on release, is in two models (similar to the nano/video relationship) or not, here's a mockup I've just created, depicting what I would expect of the device at the moment.

I don't usually do mock-ups (this is in fact my first one) but with all the numpad/touchscreen/slide-down ideas in the works, I wanted to show a solution which is based very much on what we have right now. It would make sense that the devices would sit snugly in line with Apple's other mobile products.

Did you ever use a B&O phone?
I have this little beauty: BeoCom 4 (http://www.bang-olufsen.com/web2/systems/product.asp?section=systems&sub=tp&prodid=543).

There's also a scroll wheel you have to use to insert the contact names. It's nice but not as good as the keypad of a mobile to type text.

I wouldn't buy a phone without number pad, that's for sure.

craigsharp@spym
Sep 14, 2006, 08:54 AM
iPhone.org is a hoax, i think. I'm not sure, but it is kinda funny that Apple owns mammals.org? why in the heck does apple own that domain name? Kinda lookin forward to seeing the the all new Apple Mammal, It's a robot that looks and feels human, can think and even reproduces the same way a human does. LOL Oh and it can play the new movies too.

craigatkinson
Sep 14, 2006, 08:54 AM
For the same reason people buy 1 GB ipod nano's. You have to take into account both convienience and cost. A Cell phone with a 30 GB harddrive would be way too expensive for anyone to afford and so would be a failure.

prady16
Sep 14, 2006, 08:59 AM
Any news if Steve will give a keynote in the special event preceeding photokina?

Music-Man
Sep 14, 2006, 09:01 AM
Any news if Steve will give a keynote in the special event preceeding photokina?

Have a look at the front page.

prady16
Sep 14, 2006, 09:06 AM
Have a look at the front page.
It doesn't mention anything about a keynote!

peharri
Sep 14, 2006, 09:19 AM
Oh great, not this again.

BTW iPhone is not an Apple trademark. Doesn't make much difference, I'm sure Apple wouldn't call it the iPhone anyway, but iPhone is owned by Teledex, who are an IP telephony manufacturer.

Apple could do us a few favours and publicly announce it will never, ever, sell an Apple phone, just so this speculation ceases. Every time this rumour surfaces, Apple's chances of dominating the cellphone-MP3 player market through neutral licensing agreements becomes a little less likely.

Of course, they could be that stupid. As people run from MP3 players to MP3 phones, Apple releases a phone, doesn't license the technology to the dominant players, and it's share of the market drops from 75% to 3-5%. At which point nobody cares about iTunes any more, and the labels, fed up of the refusals to offer tiered pricing and other gripes, walk away. Buh-bye Apple as a major multimedia force.

Ranks
Sep 14, 2006, 09:22 AM
Does this option in the iTunes7 intaller hint at the imminent release of the iPhone?
http://idisk.mac.com/rnks/Public/iPhone-option.jpg

peharri
Sep 14, 2006, 09:27 AM
Does this option in the iTunes7 intaller hint at the imminent release of the iPhone?
http://idisk.mac.com/rnks/Public/iPhone-option.jpg

No, it doesn't. This is for phones like the ROKR and some other recent Motorolas that run a version of iTunes.

BTW this probably explains the nano firmware "revelation" too, we're probably looking at several applications (iPod, nano, ROKR, and other firmware) built from the same code base.

psionic001
Sep 14, 2006, 09:30 AM
Why wait for the iPhone when you can have this iPodesque phone!
http://www.globalsourcesdirect.com/servlet/the-1060/USB-Phone/Detail
Matt