PDA

View Full Version : External Hard drive constant accesses by OS X

MorganX
Mar 31, 2003, 11:13 AM
I just got a Lacie 80GB d2 Firewire external. After it's been on a few seconds, I can hear that OS X is accessing the drive.

Is there some sort of system level indexing going on? It's really irritating. The drive is very quiet but OS X keeps the heads moving sporadically and it's irritating the h#ll out of me.

Has anyone else experienced this with an external drive?

AlphaTech
Mar 31, 2003, 11:36 AM
Which version of OS X are you running?? Is it just every so often that the drive gets accessed?? I've not experienced that with any of my external FireWire drives. It could be something you have going on in the background... What kinds of applications do you have running?? Do you have some software that does tasks in the background (not from Apple) or some beta software?

Some more details will help.

MorganX
Mar 31, 2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Which version of OS X are you running?? Is it just every so often that the drive gets accessed?? I've not experienced that with any of my external FireWire drives. It could be something you have going on in the background... What kinds of applications do you have running?? Do you have some software that does tasks in the background (not from Apple) or some beta software?

Some more details will help.

Every So often.
Safari remains open and my download drive is set to the external.

LaCie says it's normal with OS X, but you konw how that goes.

AlphaTech
Mar 31, 2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by MorganX
Every So often.
Safari remains open and my download drive is set to the external.

LaCie says it's normal with OS X, but you konw how that goes.

Set the download to your desktop, not the external. Which sites do you have open via Safari since it might be refreshing and causing the accessing of the drive. That happens when I have VersionTracker open on my system. I hear my internal drive click away whenever the page refreshes.

A

sparkleytone
Mar 31, 2003, 03:27 PM
i am nearly positive its because your hard drive is spinning down when it is unused for a while. you have to do a terminal fix to get it to not do so. i forget the command, but ill get it later.