Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jMc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
Hi Guys

Anyone know what this video playback option does in iTunes 7? It doesn't seem to be any different than the normal full screen playback to me.

Jx

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
If you are talking about the option on the View Menu, it makes the visualizer full screen (you have to turn on the visualizer first).

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
it makes it so when you move the mouse you can click on pause next track previous track etc. kinda like when watching a movie in quicktime full screen

jMc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2001
Sorry, but neither of these are the correct answer (thanks for at least replying!).

I'm talking about the 'Play Videos' dropdown on the General pane of iTunes preferences. There are two full screen options, one marked '(with visuals)' (see screenshot attached). Both options display the controls when you in full screen mode (I thought hismight have been the difference initially too), and I'm going absolutely insane trying to figure out what '(with visuals)' means...

Jx

Attachments

• with_visuals.jpg
    with_visuals.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 101

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
jMc said:
Sorry, but neither of these are the correct answer (thanks for at least replying!).

I'm talking about the 'Play Videos' dropdown on the General pane of iTunes preferences. There are two full screen options, one marked '(with visuals)' (see screenshot attached). Both options display the controls when you in full screen mode (I thought hismight have been the difference initially too), and I'm going absolutely insane trying to figure out what '(with visuals)' means...

Jx

wow you're right the controls are displayed in both modes.... i'm very curious now!

jMc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2001
OK, after much fannying around, I figured it out! I think...

If you have mixed playlists of music and videos, the 'full screen (with visuals)' option will automatically show full screen video for your videos and full screen visuals for your music, seamlessly moving from one to the other. If you select only 'full screen' the videos will play full screen, but the music tracks will just play with the iTunes app visible.

Kinda cool for parties and things I guess - if you have a few music videos.

Jx

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
jMc said:
OK, after much fannying around, I figured it out! I think...

If you have mixed playlists of music and videos, the 'full screen (with visuals)' option will automatically show full screen video for your videos and full screen visuals for your music, seamlessly moving from one to the other. If you select only 'full screen' the videos will play full screen, but the music tracks will just play with the iTunes app visible.

Kinda cool for parties and things I guess - if you have a few music videos.

Jx

hmm not working for me, it will get to the end of the video and get stuck on the last frame of the video while it plays the next song. it won't switch for me? :-(

jMc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2001
macrlz9 said:
hmm not working for me, it will get to the end of the video and get stuck on the last frame of the video while it plays the next song. it won't switch for me? :-(

Now that is strange, because it's definitely working on the eMac I'm on here at work. Are you using third party visuals? It might be that it only works with the standard iTunes visualiser (which is the only thing I have installed on this machine)...

Actually, I've just gone a downloaded G-Force and Whitecap, and although I can get them to switch from video to visualiser, moving from a song with visualiser to a video seems to drop me back at the desktop.

Jx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.