Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
This is the same thing they do over at Disney. Wait a couple years and there will be a 5 or 6 DVD set with all the Pixar Movies, ToyStory1and2, Nemo, Monsters Inc., Bug's Life and maybe another 1 or so.

D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I wonder what the strategy of Disney & Pixar is to put a movie in the vault? For those interested it definitely means buy now! I have Monster's Inc.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by wdlove
I wonder what the strategy of Disney & Pixar is to put a movie in the vault? For those interested it definitely means buy now! I have Monster's Inc.

Disney always does this.
Get All the whinnie the pooh movies untill we re-re-re release then is 5-6 years!

And then your child is stuck watching your old VHS copys.

Good planing? <---- no.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by wdlove

Disney does this w/all their big movies. They stop making them then 10 years later or so they release them again on a new round of children. Wash, rinse, repeat. I wonder how many times movies like Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella have been re-released.

Lethal

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
it was only REALLY bad a couple of years ago when disney was all over everything "Last chance to own it this century". what a bunch of bull. tho according to my partner, who's a bit more up on these things, it was originally to allow people chances to replace old, worn VHS tapes, without having the cost of manufacturing them constantly. With the advent of DVD, that theory kind of falls apart...

:)

pnw

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
pixar and eisner(disney) are not on good terms right now. fighting over money and control and its turned rather ugly. disney does shelve their movies occassionally but this goes a little deeper than that.

this will cut pixar's revenue stream from the movies in a big way...

disney is one of the most disliked companies in hollywood...just about everyone's been screwed by them at one time( including yours truly).

i hope pixar takes their talent elsewhere(skg anyone?...).

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
That's what I've heard too

Originally posted by 3rdpath
disney is one of the most disliked companies in hollywood...just about everyone's been screwed by them at one time

I've heard this from several sources including a screenwriter I know. Hollywood likes to take things without paying for them or crediting the source but Disney seems exceptional at this.

L

littlejim

Pixar's to shelve Toy Story, Toy Story 2.

This move should help cut down on piracy ;)

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
from a marketing move it makes sense, I mean the movies have been out for a while now so I doubt they are selling very often anyways, but now there will be a rush to get them before they are gone, and in several years they will be repackaged and rereleased which will cause yet another rush to get them again.
But the fact that Pixar doesnt have the best relationship with Disney right now could mean there are some alternative motives behind the move.
When, or if, they are re-released who would be the company to do it, Pixar or Disney, I wonder if the rights go over to Pixar after X number of years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.