Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I was looking around the iTunes Store in the iPod Games section and I must say... I'm very impressed with the reviews users are giving! I never expected people to enjoy such simple games so much at $4.99 a pop. Someone even mentioned that Texas Hold 'em is easily worth $19.99.

So has anyone played any of the games yet? If so, what do you think and are they worth the money?

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
I played Zuma and I like it. However, it can take some getting used too. The scroll wheel always seem to be too loose (scrolls too easily) or doesn't move at all. But I've had the same problems in menus.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I have Texas Hold'em, Vortex, Mini Golf, and Cubis 2.

Texas Hold'em is Texas Hold'em... it plays easily enough and the opponents supposedly have "tells" but I never watch them as I'd rather just play than try to figure out what a smirk or grimace means.

Mini Golf is fairly entertaining. There are 3 courses and to open course 2 and 3 you have to get par on the previous course. Once you've gotten par on each of the courses though I'm pretty sure you'll feel done with the game. It's well made and I enjoy it. But the replayability is probably limited unless you're a mini golf fanatic.

Cubis 2 is a good game and I appreciated that it has a color blind mode. It's still a little hard for me to play though. I wish you could rotate the board as sometimes it's hard to discern what is behind other cubes.

Vortex is by far my favorite. It's breakout looking down a tube... if you like breakout this game is a fairly decent rendition of it. It does "lag" on occassion where you can feel the game pause for a split second but it's usually not a bother. It's the only "real time" game I have and I'm sure the others do the same.

dwishbone

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
On the Moon
ive been considering zuma, bejeweled, and maybe vortex. something about breakout meet tempest just appeals to me.
i havnt played any of them yet...but im pretty impressed judging from the preview videos.
they are much better implemented on the iPod than would have ever expected.
i mean before the best we had on the iPod plaform was Bricks hehe.

ecche

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2003
a very kiwi place
I have downloaded 'Bejeweled'. It's nicely done, although you can sometimes have a hard time placing the cursor where you want it to go.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
I got tetris for old times sake and am enjoying it. It took me a while to get used to using the scroll wheel but I am OK with it now. I don't imagine I will play it often, or buy many more games but it's nice to have something else to do when travelling on the train. Also I think the prices are very reasonable.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
The games are very nice visually, but the wheel makes them difficult to control. Lets face it, games were an after thought.

I hope next gen iPods will have better controls for games, or other applications.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I bought Pac-Man, Tetris, Vortex & Zuma. They are all really fun and the controls are much better than I expected. Zuma is my favourite followed by Pac-Man, Tetris then Vortex last.
I think they are all worth the higher UK store price of £3.99 - $7.53, and are a bargain for $4.99.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I got Pac-Man and Vortex last night. As others have noted the scrolling is a bit tough to get used to - esp. on Pac-Man. They should have made mac man go different directions through clicking instead of scrolling. I'd also like the ability to play them from within iTunes. The games are fun though - worth the $$? - not sure yet - ask me in a week or two.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Grr...

I downloaded Texas Hold 'em yesterday and it's a lot of fun.

Now the Grr comes in because I downloaded Texas Hold 'em from my work machine and now I just downloaded Zuma with my home machine, under the iPod options I chose to only sync Zuma to my iPod hoping it would leave Texas Hold 'em alone. I was wrong. It completely deleted Texas Hold 'em and replaced it with Zuma.

On the grand scale of things it's no big deal. But I'm not too happy that I lost all my saved info on Texas Hold 'em.

So I guess the lesson here is this:

Only buy games on one machine.

:mad: :rolleyes:

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
/dev/toaster said:
The games are very nice visually, but the wheel makes them difficult to control. Lets face it, games were an after thought.

What games have you actually tried? All of the current games work perfectly well with the scroll wheel. The only weird one for me was Pac Man... until I realized that you don't "scroll" to turn, you just touch the wheel in the direction you wnat to go. I'm interested to know which ones are giving you so much trouble.

RPP

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I've bought Tetris and Mini Golf. They're fun ... SilentPanda is spot on about the replayability of Mini Golf, though.
And I've always liked Tetris, so I guess I'm likely to get more enjoyment out of this game than most others. However the click wheel can be a little frustrating when the blocks are coming down really fast.
At $7.50 (Aussie prices) I think they're pretty reasonable and I'll probably get a couple more.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I am buying tetris and texas hold em...but I hope they're easier to play than say solitaire was on my 5th gen.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
jessica. said:
I am buying tetris and texas hold em...but I hope they're easier to play than say solitaire was on my 5th gen.

I think Texas Hold 'em is about the easiest game to play. It's a fun time-killer, too. I think all of the games are easier to control than solitaire, which I always thought was more work than it was worth. Mah-Jong (or May-Hong, as Steve Jobs pronounces it) is probably the clumsiest of all the new games just because you have to scroll around all the tiles to get to the ones you want to select. I got used to it after a while, but I'd still rather be able to point and click. When's that touch screen iPod coming again?

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
I bought Tetris just for the sake of trying a game and I must say it's really well done.
It's visually very clear and surprisingly easy to use with the clickwheel. It does take some time to get used to but, really, it's a matter of a couple of games.

I might download some other ones seeing they did a very nice job with Tetris.

Ino

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2005
I downloaded Zuma...even though I'm still getting used to it, it seems pretty well done. Occasionally the gameplay and music will skip a bit, but it's tolerable...I made it to level 9- something, but am down to my last life!!

The battery life indicator seems to hop all over the place when playing games though...so I'm never really sure how much I have left...

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I bought mini-golf, and might try some of the others, but undecided as of yet. Seems to rather dramatically affect the battery life, though, so I won't play too much. I've already beaten the whole game, though, and so now the only fun will be in trying to get hole-in-ones on every hole (possible, just difficult) and playing against other people, which is my favorite feature of the game.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.