PDA

View Full Version : Maker of eyeTV responds to Apple's use of the "iTV" name

MacBytes
Sep 14, 2006, 03:13 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Maker of eyeTV responds to Apple's use of the "iTV" name (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060914161323)
Description:: iProng contacted Elgato regarding Apple's use of the "iTV" name and received this response from Lars Felber, Product Marketing Manager of Elgato Systems...

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

aswitcher
Sep 14, 2006, 03:18 PM
I hope Apple work with them and make this the complete Mac Multimedia experience.

steve_hill4
Sep 14, 2006, 03:22 PM
As pointed out in the article, channel 3 in the UK is called ITV, (originally for Independent TeleVision as each region had an independent franchise), and I believe they also hold a worldwide right to use that name.

Either way, it can't be called iTV in the UK so, along with Jobs stating it was a working title, they will name it something like iCenter surely.

mmmcheese
Sep 14, 2006, 03:54 PM
Not to mention that Apple has already said it is just a code-name...it's not the name of the final product.

JoshH
Sep 14, 2006, 04:01 PM
Not to mention that Apple has already said it is just a code-name...it's not the name of the final product.

Yeah, no need for them to get too upset, right? It's just an internal name...

Sayer
Sep 14, 2006, 05:01 PM
FrontRow Express would be nice. Or not.

Honestly I'd rather see a DVR Mac mini - physically twice as wide with twin HDs/fans on one one side, CPU and guts on the other in addition to a small System/Apps-only HD with 720P HD at least, CableCard slot, HDMI I/O w/HDCP, and DVR functionality integrated into FrontRow (plus apple-ified tv schedule listing of some sort). It could also have a high-end model with Blu-Ray DVD drive or something.

TiVo series 3 is $899 plus a couple hundred more to transfer "lifetime" subscriptions over (and it has TWO CableCard slots). It is basically all a combo Mac mini + iTV + DVR *could* be, minus DVD playback, only larger and more expensive.

A Mac mini + media router isn't exactly the same - with no DVR (so far) and I still need every other box. At least iTV will be wireless to the Mac and is small enough to be completely out of place with a DVR/Cable box/DVD player under my eventual flat panel TV.

Way to go Apple!

Old Smuggler
Sep 14, 2006, 05:15 PM
piss on everyone that tries to raise a stink about what apple does
i mean the beatles now eyetv

even Cnet hates apple

what is this hate towards apple brought on by
its like they want to cruxify steve

bill gates never got this resistance did be ?

BlueRevolution
Sep 14, 2006, 05:18 PM
Err... did you read the article? I don't see anyone saying anything negative about the name, just the article's author anticipating that they might. Besides, as has been pointed out many times, it's just a working name.

BenRoethig
Sep 14, 2006, 06:16 PM
I hope Apple work with them and make this the complete Mac Multimedia experience.

I was hoping more along the lines of Apple purchasing both Elgato (eyeTV) and Miglia and brining their products into the Apple fold.

timswim78
Sep 14, 2006, 07:48 PM
iThink that this might become the long awaited iProduct.

Allotriophagy
Sep 14, 2006, 07:50 PM
I was hoping more along the lines of Apple purchasing both Elgato (eyeTV) and Miglia and brining their products into the Apple fold.

I expect Elgato and Miglia were hoping for the same thing.

As it looks, they will have to compete directly with Apple.

Still, this might mean less ridiculous prices on their stuff.

babyj
Sep 14, 2006, 08:24 PM
As noted above, the Elgato / eyeTV name clash is a red herring - it looks like someone was trying to create a story that was never there in the first place. The real problem is with the UK TV station ITV, without Apple paying them a large wad of cash I can't see them getting away with using the iTV branding anywhere (not just the UK).

I can't see Apple doing a pvr on their own or with Elgato. Not because Apple would lose sales through iTunes, but because it would p*ss off all the TV stations that they need to keep sweet at present. Its the same reason why there is unlikely to be a dvd ripper included, that would p*ss off the film companies.

settledown
Sep 15, 2006, 10:13 AM
apple will not, i repeat not, have a dvd ripper, or have a dvr as part of iTV/Front Row Extreme.

Elgato will be more than happy to provide the ability to record tv shows/movies from your tv to your mac. You will then use iTV to rewatch those tvshows/movies/sports.

For those of you who want to rip your dvds.....just check versiontracker, the software is out there.

Apple would prefer you to buy your tv shows and movies from iTunes, so they will NOT give you the ability to do that. However, they will not prevent you from doing that either.

wmmk
Sep 15, 2006, 07:05 PM
We'd be happy to supply content recording from TV.
WTF? provide TV content to play on a TV???
is this guy off his rocker?

spydr
Sep 16, 2006, 12:43 AM
WTF? provide TV content to play on a TV???
is this guy off his rocker?
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with elgato's main line of business?
They make TV tuner hardware and software for mac, so people can watch TV on their computer. I guess they are merely eager to work with apple so 'iTv' will be able to successfully access and stream TV recordings created by elgato to the users TV set.
I REALLY WISH this goes one step further where 'iTv' can access live stream from the tuner, thereby making it more of a complete media center. Of course this would mean through 'iTv' your mac with elgato's TV tuner would serve as a DVR as well, filling in the features sorely lacking in the 'complete solution' proposed by Steve.

Project
Sep 17, 2006, 05:46 PM
Just call it Front Row!

Makes perfect sense to me.