Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ducksrfr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, TX
my iBook G4 (early 04) is randomly ejecting CDs. the first time it happened, it was right before the fans turned on while playing a game. i dismissed it at first, b/c there wasn't a cd in the drive at the time, but now AT ANY TIME, whether a CD is in the drive or not, it randomly ejects.

any idea as to what the problem is? i still have applecare, but would like to get a feeling as to what is going on before i take it in.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
How does it eject with no disc in the drive? Do you mean the Eject Icon appears in the middle of the screen? Sounds like a key might be stuck (the F12 key perhaps). Do you have to use the "Fn" key to eject from the F12 key or without it?

Maybe go to Keyboard Prefs and make the function keys require that Fn be pushed. Might at least temporarily stop the problem, but by no means is a solution.

ducksrfr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, TX
no, the eject image doesnt pop up like when holding F12.

when i say "eject without a cd" i mean the cd drive actually goes through the mechanical act of ejecting a cd, even though one is not present, and the keyboard button isn't pushed.

however, i do notice that it happens more often when i pick up the iBook from the right palm rest. although, it occurs when it is level on a desk.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Mine does the same occasionally when I pick it up from the left palm rest. Something must be getting squashed inside so now I just make sure I pick up my machine more carefully. In fact, I usually close the lid before moving this thing anyway. It's better for the hard drive to be spun down and then started up again rather than to be in motion whilst the thing might be writing/reading. :)

ducksrfr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, TX
mad jew said:
Mine does the same occasionally when I pick it up from the left palm rest. Something must be getting squashed inside so now I just make sure I pick up my machine more carefully. In fact, I usually close the lid before moving this thing anyway. It's better for the hard drive to be spun down and then started up again rather than to be in motion whilst the thing might be writing/reading. :)

thanks madjew, i thought it might be something minor like that too.

L'Shanah Tovah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.