Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Hey guys. My new iMac (see signature) just arrived. I'm not really noticing much difference in speed from my Core Duo Intel iMac. What do you guys think?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Sobering said:
Hey guys. My new iMac (see signature) just arrived. I'm not really noticing much difference in speed from my Core Duo Intel iMac. What do you guys think?

Because the Core 2 Duos aren't that much faster. It was all a load of hype about not that much...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It was never hyped to be more than a little faster per GHz. It IS faster, but not by a lot.

What WAS hyped is 64-bit for future flexibility (not much use for 64-bit now), and that is true. You do have that :)

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Benchmarks are showing around a 10% increase in speed. That's only going to be noticeable on long processes like rendering, iTunes conversion, etc. Even then it's not a huge difference. The average person isn't going to notice a difference in speed between the Core Duo iMacs and the current Core 2 Duo iMacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.