Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bru5ter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Brisbane Australia
As someone that uses both Pc's and Mac's for work, I was growing concerned with the constant criticism of all things windows, whilst denying any trace of problems with anything MAC.

I have no real alliance to either system (I own both a PC and a MAC, and an iPod too) but I really feel that Apple have set themselves up for a fall with their increasingly egoistic standpoint. If the idea of karma is to be held as true, then the following news article in the Sydney Morning Herald titled "New itunes version a lemon" is a long overdue bite in the ass of Steve Jobs.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-music/new-itunes-version-a-lemon/2006/09/14/1157827068657.html

In my constant discussions with a local "Machead" I have often put forward the argument that MAC's are indeed more reliable and secure simply because no one is really bothered in hacking them as they dont even command 10% of the market share.

Is it not very ironic then, that Apples first real problem come from their only popular product?

Just remember - a computer is something we USE, not something that identifies us.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Bru5ter said:
As someone that uses both Pc's and Mac's for work, I was growing concerned with the constant criticism of all things windows, whilst denying any trace of problems with anything MAC.

Agreed there. Some people are just over the top.

Bru5ter said:
In my constant discussions with a local "Machead" I have often put forward the argument that MAC's are indeed more reliable and secure simply because no one is really bothered in hacking them as they dont even command 10% of the market share.

From what I've read, this isn't true. And logically, it doesn't make sense either. There are both sides to the argument, some resting in technicalities. (Apple computers can be exploited, but if I remember right, there is technically still no virus.) But overall, macs are indeed more reliable and secure even if they are not bulletproof.

Bru5ter said:
Just remember - a computer is something we USE, not something that identifies us.

I don't know about that one. You drive a car, and its primary purpose is for transportation. But it still identifies your status. Same with music players. Why do you think people who don't ever use iTunes still go for iPods en masse? A computer is little different.

Bru5ter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Brisbane Australia
ZoomZoomZoom said:
Agreed there. Some people are just over the top.

From what I've read, this isn't true. And logically, it doesn't make sense either. There are both sides to the argument, some resting in technicalities. (Apple computers can be exploited, but if I remember right, there is technically still no virus.) But overall, macs are indeed more reliable and secure even if they are not bulletproof.

I don't know about that one. You drive a car, and its primary purpose is for transportation. But it still identifies your status. Same with music players. Why do you think people who don't ever use iTunes still go for iPods en masse? A computer is little different.

There have recently been a number of news stories identifying ways in which hackers could attack the MAC OS, but I maintain that as most hackers are ego driven (oh look at me my virus hit 100,000 computers) its not something they bother with.

As for the car analogy, Im sorry but Im one of those unmaterialistic people who use my consumer power for safety, ease of use, reliability etc so I completely reject that these things identify me. I have noticed that the more important these status symbols are to people, the less value they have as a person.

A car gets you from A to B, a computer makes your work more effiecient. The aesthetics are important, but way down my list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.