Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solidgoldmini

macrumors regular
Original poster
This question has to do with getting a site indexed by Google so people searching for it can find it. I know about the add URL page at Google, and I visited that already. But when I search for my website, Google says it can't find the URL. And when searching for the name, Linwood Market, it comes up on page 8 of the results, as a link to the server address, which has since changed, and not the URL. To be specific, my website can be found at http://www.linwoodmarket.com, but Google found it at rhea.meccahosting.com/something, which is the server where it used to reside, (it's on a different MeccaHosting server now, apparently), so when you click that link through Google you get a URL not found message. Is there something I can do to help make it easier for Google to find my website? I made the site in iWeb, if that helps. Any ideas? :confused:

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
There are a lot of things you can do to make it easier for the search engines to locate and index your site. It's known as SEO, or search engine optimization. There are many good discussions at WebmasterWorld.com.

Keep in mind that even if you do every recommended SEO tip, there's no guarantee of where or when you'll show up on any search engine. It can take several weeks to several months of work to get a decent ranking, depending on your relevant keywords.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Use the tools Google provides for such things:

http://www.google.com/webmasters/

You should create a Google account after which you can log in and set up your site for Google indexing, see how the indexing went (errors found) and check how Google lists your site in the search results.

Google does take a while to update a site, and then there are the blacklisted sites/domains that are completely removed from Google as if they never existed at all.

Just don't post anything personally offensive to tolerant, compassionate liberal Google employees and you should be okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.