Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
My 60Gb iPod, which is coming up to it first birthday is broken(2 monthsish) Ithas a problem..Apple is claiming its "cosmetic" only..but I'm sure its going to lead to bigger problem down the road(and even now its a problem), and they want to force me into AppleCare for it.

The iPod had been babied from Day one..I'm anal about my iPods, I rarely let people touch them. Simply put I'd likly take if someone hits my iPod, I'm flipping out at them, and being a fairy big guy, that can be unfun for the people getting flipped out at yet.

The problem is between the White Plastic and Metal, its spreading apart. Original I was going to live with it, and slowed down my use of it. After one day of using it at school, its seperation got much bigger, and piece of things were leaking into my iPod. There is dusk of some type in my in bewteen the "Glass" Part(the one that can be touched by anyone) of the iPod, and the screen underneath it(the thing you LCD screen you never touch, only see through the "glass"). Now this bothers the heck out of me, I can't stand it, but Apple is saying it only hurts the looks. Well its pretty clear to me that some dusk or crap is going to get into the inside of the iPod, and will screw it up. I think they might be trying to make me wait until it breaks, which would either force me to get AppleCare or pay big when it breaks.

I know iGary had a thing like this with Cat hair in his ACD(https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/149796/)
See here, and he got it fixed. Any idea how I should go back to them, and say I want it fixed NOW.

Any idea on how I can get Apple to fix it, or get me a new one.(Also there are some markets on it, that look like I was trying to open it, but they are from cleaning off glue that dried on it(has nothing to be with the problem)
Thanks

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
zap2 said:
My 60Gb iPod, which is coming up to it first birthday is broken(2 monthsish) Ithas a problem..Apple is claiming its "cosmetic" only..but I'm sure its going to lead to bigger problem down the road(and even now its a problem), and they want to force me into AppleCare for it.

The iPod had been babied from Day one..I'm anal about my iPods, I rarely let people touch them. Simply put I'd likly take if someone hits my iPod, I'm flipping out at them, and being a fairy big guy, that can be unfun for the people getting flipped out at yet.

The problem is between the White Plastic and Metal, its spreading apart. Original I was going to live with it, and slowed down my use of it. After one day of using it at school, its seperation got much bigger, and piece of things were leaking into my iPod. There is dusk of some type in my in bewteen the "Glass" Part(the one that can be touched by anyone) of the iPod, and the screen underneath it(the thing you LCD screen you never touch, only see through the "glass"). Now this bothers the heck out of me, I can't stand it, but Apple is saying it only hurts the looks. Well its pretty clear to me that some dusk or crap is going to get into the inside of the iPod, and will screw it up. I think they might be trying to make me wait until it breaks, which would either force me to get AppleCare or pay big when it breaks.

I know iGary had a thing like this with Cat hair in his ACD(https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/149796/)
See here, and he got it fixed. Any idea how I should go back to them, and say I want it fixed NOW.

Any idea on how I can get Apple to fix it, or get me a new one.(Also there are some markets on it, that look like I was trying to open it, but they are from cleaning off glue that dried on it(has nothing to be with the problem)
Thanks

Got some dusk in your iPod? Just hold it away from the setting sun...

OK, I presume you mean dust - have you tried ever so gently pushing the metal back to where it should be? My 3G iPod is suffering a very slight middle-age spread but not to the extent you're describing.

I'd go to Apple and kick up a stink - you've got those near-by Apple Stores for a reason...

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Chundles said:
Got some dusk in your iPod? Just hold it away from the setting sun...

OK, I presume you mean dust - have you tried ever so gently pushing the metal back to where it should be? My 3G iPod is suffering a very slight middle-age spread but not to the extent you're describing.

I'd go to Apple and kick up a stink - you've got those near-by Apple Stores for a reason...

I meant Dust..sorry:)

I have tried pushing it back down, a family member went to Apple and they said its only cosmetic..I'm going to go back tomorrow, and raise hell...

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Does anyone think I should call, ask to talk to a manager or Apple Genius, tell that them iGary's story about the ACD, and tell them I'm coming in tomorrow to get it repair or replaced? Or should I just pop in tomorrow and make them repair it to replace it, with no forwarning?

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
2nyRiggz said:
Man run up in there and let them replace it.....its like two months old? they should do it for you.

Bless

Its 9 months old and 2 day, but Apple has been Quoted as saying it should last "for years" and 9months is not "years", its not even "year"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.