PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive failure in iBook?

Time Clock
Sep 15, 2006, 10:13 PM
Hello all! I have a dillema. I was using my mom's 500 mhz G3 iBook circa 2k1, running 10.2.0 and it decided to start tweaking out on me. Being a somewhat aware computer person, I thought tat a simple restart would fix all of this. Ha! Shows you how much I know. Anyway, the boot-up screen showed the icon of the file with the question mark inside. find the OS 9 CD that we have and I booted up through the CD. I finish starting up and, to my suprise, the drive appears to be erased- the computer asks me if I want to initialize the disk. I hit cancel and proceed to run the disk repair on the OS 9 CD. After it's done scanning, the the results are: "Missing Thread Record, 62078, 4260". What does it all mean? Will the computer be able to recover? What fate lies in store for the iBook? Will any one be able to decipher the cryptic meaning of the Missing Threads...

Anyways, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

California
Sep 15, 2006, 11:20 PM
sounds like a dead or dying hard drive to me. They do die after a certain number of uses, and those four and five year old 10 gig drives were crap to begin with - and I have heard, but not experienced, logic board failure on the 500mhz iBooks. The G4 iBooks were better machines, particularly the last revisions with the motion sensors for the hard drives.

Time Clock
Sep 16, 2006, 09:06 PM
I've come to the accept the fact that the HD is dead. I have a question now: will any 2.5" IDE hard drive work or is there a specific kind that I need to look at?

CyberB0b
Sep 16, 2006, 09:26 PM
They are 9.5mm tall hard drives. According to google the 2.5 inch drives come in different heights. Other than the maximum height, you can use any 2.5 inch drive.