PDA

View Full Version : Best Sleeves for 17" PowerBook

joshuajestelle
Apr 1, 2003, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone,

This thread is somewhat related to a previous thread I started regarding best cases for the 17" PowerBook:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22712

Now what I'm interested in finding is the best sleeve for protecting the 17" PowerBook.

http://www.timbuk2.com/products/laptopsleeve.html ($40-$50)
http://www.jambags.com/MacCase%20Sleeves.htm ($50)
http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=TB0330&Product_Count=6&Category_Code=300 ($40)

There's a few I've been looking at. Let me know what you guys have used and/or are looking at getting.

Thanks,
Josh

RBMaraman
Apr 1, 2003, 10:48 AM
I have a TimBuk2 sleeve for my iBook, and I absolutely love it. It fits the machine perfectly, it's very stylish, and it's very protective. I highly recommend TimBuk2's products!

iDork
Apr 1, 2003, 11:15 AM
I have the PowerBook 15" 1GHz and I'm using the sleevecase made by Waterfield Designs (www.sfbags.com). The quality and protection is excellent! No scratches or dings on my PB and it fits perfectly in my Spire Zoom XL backpack. It also fits the PB like a glove.

I just ordered the 17" PB and I just noticed the MacCase sleeve that looks very attractive. Does anyone own the MacCase sleeve? If so, is it "puffy"? I'm afraid it wont fit inside my backpack.

FlamDrag
Apr 1, 2003, 11:44 AM
I own the 17" Timbuk2 sleeve and I would recommend it. Fits like a glove and the padding is nice and dense, handles are very nice and they make great stuff.

nanosound
Apr 1, 2003, 12:21 PM
Does anyone like the Acme sleeves?

nixd2001
Apr 1, 2003, 05:54 PM
I was thinking about laptop bags recently. What I'm really after is something that can additionally accomadate all those little extras:

*) 7-in-1 flash memoy reader
*) Canon Ixus 3 digital camera
*) Spare Compact Flash card
*) Variopus mains recharges
*) Spare P800 stylii
*) Memory Stick Duo -> Memory Stick widget
*) Various cables

In other wors, a whole range of "thingies" from the very small to mains adaptors. If all this can be crammed into something that can be easily carried through airports and also sit on my back whilst cycling (including rain proof), then I'm convinced!

Wano
Apr 1, 2003, 06:00 PM
I got a Timbuk2 bag for the 17" PB(which i am waiting for)It's a great design that is very stylish, lightweight, very padded, and has excellent handles. I got th five-o-blue color, which is very cool. I recommend it, and for $50 you can't find a better quality deal.

pdham
Apr 2, 2003, 01:42 AM
I have the Tom Bihn Brian bag sleeve form my 15' and it is wonderful. they make it for the 17' as well. Definitly go check it out.

WilliamGates
Apr 2, 2003, 06:11 AM
I wouldn't be happy unless I could slip the 17" out of an ordinary dept store back pack without removing the sleeve, just like Mini Me. Hence I have the Tom Bihn Monolith sleeve and am well pleased.

Ambrose Chapel
Apr 2, 2003, 07:03 AM
I have a Timbuk2 bag and sleeve for my TiBook and I love it. Their sleeves are made expressly for Apple laptops. However, their computer commuter bags have been discontinued and now they will have a new bag to replace it (commuter bag) and I'm not sure if they are available yet (sometime this month). So you may not be able to get the bag right away...

Chuck
Apr 10, 2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by pdham
I have the Tom Bihn Brian bag sleeve form my 15' and it is wonderful. they make it for the 17' as well. Definitly go check it out.

Are you sure they do a Brain Bag sleeve for the 17? On the website when you click the sizes, even though there are four of them, none includes the 17". If there was one, I think I'd be interested in it.

Chuck.

The Shadow
Apr 13, 2003, 05:42 AM
Hold on one darn minute!

Who let Bill in here?

I take it that bag you're recommending is bug infested?

tazo
Apr 13, 2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by The Shadow
Hold on one darn minute!

Who let Bill in here?

I take it that bag you're recommending is bug infested?

because we all know every william goes by bill and there is only one william gates :rolleyes:

i am guessing to you, jobs=god, gates=satan? :rolleyes:

pdham
Apr 13, 2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
Are you sure they do a Brain Bag sleeve for the 17? On the website when you click the sizes, even though there are four of them, none includes the 17". If there was one, I think I'd be interested in it.

Chuck.

You are right, it is not out yet. When I bought my bag about two months ago, I remember a section on the website that said they would be developing one in the coming month for the 17. I figured it was out now, but it clearly is not. I apologize. Althought the monolith does come in 17 and looks very nice as well.

Paul

eph310
Apr 18, 2003, 01:09 AM
I will soon own a 17" and I just bought a backpack from:

http://www.spireusa.com/

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

nanosound
Apr 18, 2003, 10:50 AM
I bought the Tom Bihn bag called the Mitre. It's like a padded envelope. What I like is I can use it as a pad to sit my laptop on. When traveling it just goes into by briefcase.