PDA

View Full Version : Novel’s Linux out-“OS X”’s Apple’s Mac OS X GUI with xgl

MacBytes
Sep 15, 2006, 11:46 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Videos
Link: Novel’s Linux out-“OS X”’s Apple’s Mac OS X GUI with xgl (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060916004650)
Description:: Okay, so there is no debating that Apple’s OS X GUI is much cooler than Windows Vista (at least not on THIS blog), however, after seeing the video below, I am less confident that Mac OS X still has the ultimate GUI bragging rights.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mjstew33
Sep 15, 2006, 11:50 PM
I'm not going to be an Apple suck up - that does look an OS that I was use if I had the time to learn it.

But, for now, I'm fine with what I have. :)

montex
Sep 16, 2006, 12:35 AM
The dock and exposé have been stolen from Mac OS X. How can they do that and call it Linux? I'm sure Apple's lawyers will not let this go on for very long.

Too bad there aren't any new gui elements that are not modifications of the Mac's. This confirms what I've always thought about Linux community; Techno geeks using their mad skills to program and code well, but absolutely no ability when it comes to design, style and creativity. Sure they can copy and even slightly improve things, but they cannot come up with anything new (unless you call rewriting a software driver "creative").

Daringescape
Sep 16, 2006, 01:22 AM
I have seen this on a friends computer, but it was a different distro. It is pretty amazing, all of the little effects with the windows and what not. After you use it for a bit and go back to "stiff" windows, its weird, its almost like the OS becomes more organic (for lack of a better word).

The virtual desktop is cool though - he can run like 64 virtual desktops, and they are in a full 3d cube. It makes me very excited for leopard, I know I will use virtual desktops A LOT.

angelwatt
Sep 16, 2006, 09:13 AM
That seems quite cool. I use lunix a tad, but on an old machine so doubt it'll be able have anywhere near that performance.

wmmk
Sep 16, 2006, 09:28 AM
neh, eye candy is nice, but seriously i've tried a lot of those 3D linux desktops, but they just don't have the elegant simplicity of OS X. anyway, the actual icons and toolbars and toolbars are till KDE FUGly. i must admit though, that LG3D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Looking_Glass) is amazingly coo!

skia
Sep 16, 2006, 10:52 AM
Linux desktops get a 3D-accelerated compositing engine four years after Apple's (and just before MS releases its own in Vista) and use it to animate pointless eyecandy that is disabled by default, will quickly be disabled again by anyone who uses it for more than a week, and can be easily imitated by OS X or Vista if Apple and Microsoft didn't both have a policy against purposefully nauseating their users.

Every time I want to stab my eyes out for the sheer stupidity of an article, I look up and see "macenstein.com" in my title bar. Please stop posting links to this crap.

Analog Kid
Sep 16, 2006, 01:28 PM
Every time I want to stab my eyes out for the sheer stupidity of an article, I look up and see "macenstein.com" in my title bar. Please stop posting links to this crap.
Gotta agree with you on macenstein, but I enjoyed this one. Glad to see Linux finding its way to a useable desktop. Some interesting stuff, and not as clunky as the Linux GUIs I've come across in the past.

Me1000
Sep 16, 2006, 02:05 PM
I like Apples GUI a lot better than that one!

beg_ne
Sep 16, 2006, 03:09 PM
That GUI might just be cooler than OS X's...if I was 12 again.

This is just like that 3D GUI Sun was working on. Sure it looks cool on a tiny blurry YouTube movie, but it would suck having to work in that for hours a day.

Some eye candy just for the sake of eye candy can be OK. But everything thats going on there is just nauseating and distracting. I'll stick with the beautiful and elegant UI in OS X.

Marble
Sep 16, 2006, 06:17 PM
Let me down, let me down! :(

jhu
Sep 16, 2006, 07:36 PM
man, so much animosity here against anything that's not aqua. a lot of misinformation too.

1) xgl is part of the x window system. thus the abilities that xgl confers extends to any unix-like os that runs x window and can run xgl. so it's not just linux, but also *bsd.

2) many window managers in unix world have had a dock for far longer than mac os x. mac os x just added the eye-candy of magnification.

3) while its true that x window finally has compositing, this is unfortunately due to the politics surrounding xfree86. since forking, xorg has been moving at a significantly faster pace.

4) at least eye-candy can be turned off in x window. can't say the same for aqua

i'm rather impressed at how quickly xgl has improved since its first release in january.

BOOMBA
Sep 16, 2006, 08:39 PM
man, so much animosity here against anything that's not aqua. a lot of misinformation too.

i'm rather impressed at how quickly xgl has improved since its first release in january.

Hasn't Xgl been around longer than that?
I thought it went back to open source in January, but it has been around for years.:confused:

varmit
Sep 16, 2006, 08:46 PM
All I can say is the bouncing and wiggling windows look cool, but how is it useful. I want windows that I know were the edges are when I'm moving them. The raping of windows around to another work space is nice, but how is that usefull to me again, other than making it easier to move something from one workspace to another. Other than that, everything else seemed like linux with the right amount of customizing.

JSchwage
Sep 16, 2006, 08:59 PM
Until it becomes very easy to set up XGL for those effects, I'm sticking with OS X. It's a nightmare trying to set up all those effects on certain machines, and I think it only works with Nvidia cards also.

Sep 17, 2006, 11:22 AM
2) many window managers in unix world have had a dock for far longer than mac os x. mac os x just added the eye-candy of magnification.

They don't look anything like OS X's Dock though. This one does, it is clearly a blatant rip-off, just like the Expose feature. I don't mind though.

skia
Sep 17, 2006, 06:35 PM

Speaking of misinformation.

2) many window managers in unix world have had a dock for far longer than mac os x.

Um, every dock I've ever seen in the X world is an exact derivative of the NeXTStep dock. NeXTStep being the precursor to OpenStep. OpenStep being the code base for OS X.

while its true that x window finally has compositing, this is unfortunately due to the politics surrounding xfree86. since forking, xorg has been moving at a significantly faster pace.

Though still not faster than OS X. Which renders this point kinda moot.

at least eye-candy can be turned off in x window. can't say the same for aqua

All the ones that can potentially annoy users can. Don't like the genie effect? Change to straight scaling. Dock magnification isn't even on by default, anymore. Though, again, that is beside the point. The real issue is that OS X eye candy is all for the benefit of the UI (yes, even dock magnification serves a purpose, even if many don't like it). The X eyecandy is eyecandy for eyecandy's sake. I am forced to take issue with anyone who claims that Linux's user interface design is pulling ahead of Apple's because it adds eyecandy that actually detracts from usability.

nagromme
Sep 18, 2006, 10:07 AM
Floppy windows are like OS X dock magnification: more fun than useful, and sometimes counter-productive. Luckily, disabled by default.

Sdashiki
Sep 18, 2006, 10:44 AM
i think its obvious from the trend in modern computing to have CPUs with multiple cores (hitting octa core next year?), that everything computer will have, eventually, what we today consider HIGH END, inside.

Todays dual core, cutting edge.

10 years, dual core goes into pocket calculators and stuff.

by then, what will the average computer have? Quad cores minimum?

What could the "average" user really do with that?

my guess is a super fantabulicious eye candy galore, OS.

Something that actually eats cycles, but with no obvious slowdown.

Would AMD/Intel eventually only have dual-core etc as their only available options? Making any computer, e-machines or the like, at least as powerful as todays top end machines? I think so.

WildPalms
Jan 5, 2008, 09:10 PM
Linux desktops get a 3D-accelerated compositing engine four years after Apple's (and just before MS releases its own in Vista) and use it to animate pointless eyecandy that is disabled by default, will quickly be disabled again by anyone who uses it for more than a week, and can be easily imitated by OS X or Vista if Apple and Microsoft didn't both have a policy against purposefully nauseating their users.

Excellent! You hit it in one and so many people miss it. All the eye candy, wobbly windows, cube desktops, fading windows nonsense does not assist or provide helpful feedback to the user. Apple's elegant approach is just enough for informative feedback on an action and nothing more that would be wasteful.. like the Compiz and Beryl setups.

jhu
Jan 11, 2008, 09:40 PM
Excellent! You hit it in one and so many people miss it. All the eye candy, wobbly windows, cube desktops, fading windows nonsense does not assist or provide helpful feedback to the user. Apple's elegant approach is just enough for informative feedback on an action and nothing more that would be wasteful.. like the Compiz and Beryl setups.

don't like it? at least you can turn it off. even windows lets you turn off the eye candy if you don't want it. there's no option for that in os x.