Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

handprint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Hey all We have a Ibook and just last week when we tried to boot it up it started acting strange... some times it would start and some times all we got is a constant noise... like fan or dvd drive and then a grey screen which turns to red then green and blue... a friend suggested that the logic board might be toast but since I don't have the boot cd any more I'm kinda screwed to try booting that way. Was wondering who else has had this and what it might be. I really don't want to crack the case unless I have to so any help would be great..
Thanks from the bad apple in Los Angeles...

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Logic board. May not be completely fried, but it needs to be fixed. I had this same problem about a year ago on my iBook and I had to have Apple fix it for me since it was still under warranty.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
mad jew said:
Yeah, I agree that it's most likely the logic board but it could also be the GPU. :)

Yes but the GPU is part of the Logic Board and requires the whole thing to be replaced. I cannot remember the exact fix for that problem as it doesn't occur that often (I didn't see it very much at least) but I'm pretty sure it is logic board. What spec is the iBook? The G3's are pretty bad for video problems but if it is less than 3 years old there is a logic board extension program for some models.

You could always take it to an Apple service centre and get them to diagnose it. Other than that unless your pretty savvy with taking apart laptops then it might be the time to say goodbye.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.