Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Anyone else getting a bunch of kernel panics on a Core 2 Duo iMac? Mine KPs about half the time I go to shut it down or restart. I'm guessing it has something to do with Parallels or Boot Camp, though I have uninstalled Parallels and the problem persists, seemingly with increasing frequency. Tested my RAM, and it is fine. Right now I am doing a fresh format/install of OS X, after which I plan to run the Apple Hardware Test. If the hardware checksout there, I will try using it with minimal third party software installed for a while and add back things slowly. The only apps I had installed were Office 2004, Photoshop CS2, Capture One, Parallels, Little Snitch, Toast, and a few games for my sons. Hopefully none of my staple apps was causing the KPs. I never had problems with KPs until I put that damn Windows on my Mac!

Addendum- No KPs anymore now that I have gotten rid of Parallels.

Drewnrupe

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
Panics

I had a lot of these going on - Parallels was the first cause, although that only happened when you tried to start a VM - that was fixed by downloading the lastest beat release that they updated for the mac-pro.

I was getting panics on shutdown after i installed cisco VPN client - only way to get that sorted was to restart in safe boot mode, and run the uninstall of the Cisco client from the terminal.

So dumped the idea of the VPN and everythign was fine ...except my eyeTv wont work now :-(

Thinking the change of chips had a little more impact than expected !.

Drew

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Drewnrupe said:
I had a lot of these going on - Parallels was the first cause, although that only happened when you tried to start a VM - that was fixed by downloading the lastest beat release that they updated for the mac-pro.

I was getting panics on shutdown after i installed cisco VPN client - only way to get that sorted was to restart in safe boot mode, and run the uninstall of the Cisco client from the terminal.

So dumped the idea of the VPN and everythign was fine ...except my eyeTv wont work now :-(

Thinking the change of chips had a little more impact than expected !.

Drew

I'm glad I did a search of the forums. My brandy new iMac just started freaking out as well... right after I installed VPN.

Now it refuses to shutdown. If I choose shutdown, it restarts every time, until it finally crashes. I thought I needed to reset the SMU, sadly that only resulted in the fans running at full-blast nonstop...

Time to dump VPN :(

marvingaye

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
discoforce said:
I'm glad I did a search of the forums. My brandy new iMac just started freaking out as well... right after I installed VPN.

Now it refuses to shutdown. If I choose shutdown, it restarts every time, until it finally crashes. I thought I needed to reset the SMU, sadly that only resulted in the fans running at full-blast nonstop...

Time to dump VPN :(

I have this same problem - even after a fresh OS X install (it works a couple times, but then the problems start again).. every time I try to shutdown, it restarts, and every time I try to put it to sleep, it immediately wakes up. (The shutdown problem happened in Windows with Boot Camp as well) Tried the SMU reset, and that didn't work. Were you able to fix it?

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Just to provide an update in case it helps anyone else...

Cisco's VPN was definitely the culprit for my kernel panics (here's a link for a description of the problem).

I also found that it was very hard to get rid of. You can only uninstall in secure mode, but holding down "shift" on my new and shiny wireless keyboard wouldn't let me do this. Using a wired keyboard allowed me to enter secure mode and finally kill that pesky VPN.

Now I'm back to living my beautiful new iMac dream :D

Hmm... So now should I move forward with my boot camp experiment...

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
techiemc said:
I had this same problem. The route cause for me was not using boot camp and dual booting with XP Pro 2, but was when I installed Cisco VPN on OS X runinning on a core 2 duo.

I got Cisco to work on Core 2 Duo by following the steps found here.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12696

Works like a charm.

Which steps are you referring to? Downloading the "vpnclient-darwin-4.9.00.0050-universal-k9.dmg" version, or never shutting your computer down?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.