Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Hi,

I would like to buy a Camcorder from Sony with Firewire In/Out and connect it to my Powerbook 12". Of course I like to copy the videos to the Powerbook, then work on them and then transfer them back to the Cam.

But only Software for PC is delivered with the Sony Cam.

Does anyone has experience with the support of any Camcorder e.g. from iMovie ?

Do I need a special software to transfer the data ? Or will it just work ?

Thanks for your support.

CmdrLaForge

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I had a sony ZR40 before it was stolen. I have a G4 power pc and there was no software needed other than imovie or whatever editing program you may have. It is easy to transfer to and from the camcorder. Literally plug and play.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: Using Powerbook with Camcorder over Firewire

Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
Hi,

I would like to buy a Camcorder from Sony with Firewire In/Out and connect it to my Powerbook 12". Of course I like to copy the videos to the Powerbook, then work on them and then transfer them back to the Cam.

But only Software for PC is delivered with the Sony Cam.

Does anyone has experience with the support of any Camcorder e.g. from iMovie ?

Do I need a special software to transfer the data ? Or will it just work ?

Thanks for your support.

CmdrLaForge
Make sure that the Sony camcorder uses miniDV and not microMV. miniDV is pretty much the standard format for digital video. Also, make sure that the Sony that you're considering is compatible with iMovie. Do yourself a favor and check out Apple's Compatiblity List before you buy. Also note that Apple's list may not be fully updated with the latest models.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I do that all the time.

If the video camera has a firewire port you are all set, no mater if is DV or Digital 8, the video will be sent to the computer and then formated in to DV format.

You can do that with iMovie, FCP, or Premiere. Firewire video is an standard, it is a beauty because with iMovie you can control de video camera from the computer.

The best thing to to is to take your PB or iBook to the video store and plug the thing.

I'm a VJ and I experiment with all sort of things, specially digital video cameras.

Good luck.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by mymemory
I do that all the time.

If the video camera has a firewire port you are all set, no mater if is DV or Digital 8, the video will be sent to the computer and then formated in to DV format.

You can do that with iMovie, FCP, or Premiere. Firewire video is an standard, it is a beauty because with iMovie you can control de video camera from the computer.

The best thing to to is to take your PB or iBook to the video store and plug the thing.

I'm a VJ and I experiment with all sort of things, specially digital video cameras.

Good luck.
mymemory,

Not all camcorders with Firewire are compatible with Macs. The Sony microMV cameras that I've mentioned will not work with iMovie. You might be able to get the video off of the camera with some other application, but Sony doesn't provide it.

There are also some miniDV camcorders that aren't compatible, although they are few in number.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
¿?

I had have plug my powerbook to at list 5 different models of video cameras and with no problem.

Now, it wouldn't surprise me that some manofactures want to think "diferently".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.