Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
On my 20'' iMac Core Duo A piece of the case seems to stick out like it became unglued somehow. When I pressed it in I heard a "squeak" Is this normal? I will be bringing it to the Apple Store for a diagnosis.

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
I will post a pic soon. The only reason I noticed this was when I was cleaning it because my brother "accidentally" spilled Juice on it.... I let it dry for a day. But then when I turned it on I smelt burning hair!!!!!! and my iMac kept going to sleep with the menus flickering...! It's on now but I still smell the hair. Just not a strongly. Any Help Madjew? I will definitly be bringing it into the Apple Store ASAP. My brother will hopefully pay for the repair. (he's not 3 or something. He is older than me)

Help.:(

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Juice? Hair? Loose plastic?

I think something happened to your machine while you weren't in the room. Possibly it was used for some type of witchcraft.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Crap, that burning smell doesn't sound good. I'd back everything up and take it in to a technician. Liquids can short circuit a machine, which could be why you can smell burning hair (no, Macs aren't made out of hair but the burning smell is similar). Good luck with whatever happens. :)

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Should I risk Turning on the Machine? Could a vital component be the cause of the burning hair smell? How much do you think Apple Will make me pay for this?!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I have no idea how much it'll cost and this could all be over-zealous, but I'd try backing up the data using Target Disk Mode rather than actually firing up the machine. Of course, if this isn't possible then start 'er up and try to back up what you can all the same. Good luck. :)

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
I started up the Mac all is well Except the case

Thanks for you Help MadJew.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
jamesW135 said:
I started up the Mac all is well Except the case

Thanks for you Help MadJew.

All may be well as far as you can see, but the random sleeping and the burning smell are very worrying to me.

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
The smell seems to have gone away after leaving it off for 2 days... But the case is still bothering me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.