PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla 1.4a

medea
Apr 2, 2003, 12:07 PM
The open-source browser Mozilla 1.4a features dynamic image and table resizing in Composer, smooth scrolling (see release notes for enabling this feature), and improvements to spam filtering. In addition to these feature improvements, 1.4a also contains fixes for perfomance, stability, standards support and website compatibility.
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/

alex_ant
Apr 2, 2003, 02:16 PM
Has anyone tried smooth scrolling? That's a feature I wish would come to Safari (as an optional preference).

medea
Apr 2, 2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by alex_ant
Has anyone tried smooth scrolling? That's a feature I wish would come to Safari (as an optional preference).
I agree, and I sent in a request for it as well.

Catfish_Man
Apr 2, 2003, 10:04 PM
Has anyone seen the new Mozilla roadmap? It's quite impressive, and exactly what I think Mozilla needs. See www.mozillazine.org for more info.

mac15
Apr 2, 2003, 11:15 PM
this is cool, the ghecko engine is great though he mozilla for OSX needs to be toned up a bit. Its bulky and well sluggish (with window resizing)

Catfish_Man
Apr 2, 2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by mac15
this is cool, the ghecko engine is great though he mozilla for OSX needs to be toned up a bit. Its bulky and well sluggish (with window resizing)

Which is exactly what this roadmap is proposing (Phoenix is basically Mozilla with the bloat cut out) :).

mac15
Apr 3, 2003, 12:41 AM
the road mpa, really just has stuff about phoenix, not much about camino

phoenix is a good browser for windows, its like a hybrid safari and camino but bloated as hell

sparkleytone
Apr 3, 2003, 01:54 AM
errrm...i really dont see whats so nice about smooth scrolling. is it better seen with a scroll wheel? on my ibook page down now takes a lot longer because of the scrolling.

medea
Apr 3, 2003, 10:15 AM

phoenix is a good browser for windows, its like a hybrid safari and camino but bloated as hell
actually they are talking about the next build being based on phoneix, they stated
"The idea behind the switch is to slim down the main Mozilla code, which critics and participants alike have judged to be too big and too slow," and "Under the new plan, the basic code will come with fewer bells and whistles, but will include a way of adding on features as needed."
And luckily they will continue support for the mac.

NavyIntel007
Apr 4, 2003, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know if the Camino nightly builds are based on 1.4a or 1.3?

sparkleytone
Apr 4, 2003, 03:03 PM
its all the latest and most bleeding edge code. so actually, its based on 1.4b code since today :D

Catfish_Man
Apr 4, 2003, 10:46 PM

Bloated as hell? It basically IS Camino for Windows, just with a few different features, and using XUL for the user interface instead of Cocoa. Mozilla is bloated as hell, Phoenix is quite elegant and sleek (although Safari is probably more so, except that Phoenix's extensions mechanism is very slick). The latest nightlies of Phoenix for Windows are also the fastest browser I've ever used (the experimental build for Macs is almost as fast, though, and is based on older code).

alex_ant
Apr 6, 2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
errrm...i really dont see whats so nice about smooth scrolling. is it better seen with a scroll wheel? on my ibook page down now takes a lot longer because of the scrolling.
I haven't used Moz 1.4a yet, so I don't know what its smooth scrolling is like. Considering how its keyboard scrolling is practically unusable at one line at a time, I don't have a lot of faith in it to get smooth scrolling right, but I could be wrong. The scrolling I had in mind was the kind that's in this PDF plugin (http://www.schubert-it.com/plugin/). In my opinion, it makes the page easier to follow when reading, especially if you have your mouse wheel set to scroll more than a couple lines. (And it looks cool)