PDA

View Full Version : Dolby Digital 5.1

DeusOmnis
Apr 2, 2003, 03:17 PM
I want to get some surround sound speakers:

http://www.klipsch.com/index.asp?path=/products/productdetail.asp?frame=y&id=640&line=promedia

But my friend tells me taht i need digital output from my computer to do that.

So the question is, does my MDD powermac have a form of digital output, or do i need to buy a sound card. If i have to buy a soundcard, does anyone know of a good one that does the encoding but not much else? I dont need all the professional MIDI options, just the stuff for gaming and music (output).

vniow
Apr 2, 2003, 03:22 PM
You're probably better off asking that question at the HTMUG, that forum specializes in that kind of stuff.

http://www.htmug.com/phpBB2/index.php

D0ct0rteeth
Apr 2, 2003, 03:34 PM
M-Audio Revolution (http://www.m-audio.com/products/consumer/revolution_page1.php)

Doc

RandomDeadHead
Apr 2, 2003, 04:39 PM
does my MDD powermac have a form of digital output, or do i need to buy a sound card.

If you dont know if it does or not, what are you doing with a Powermac? :confused:

RandomDeadHead
Apr 2, 2003, 04:41 PM
Sorry for the mean post. I have had a BAD day.:(

voyagerd
Apr 2, 2003, 05:12 PM
M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and the Logitech Z-680 speakers would be the best. I have the Z-560's and they pump.

voyagerd@hotmail.com
AIM: startrekdove

daniel77
Apr 2, 2003, 06:25 PM
if the guy has the money to pay for Klipsch then i highly recommend he buy them-i have used both sets, both klipsch and logitech and i believe the klipsch offer much more in the way of quality.

just my $0.02

DeusOmnis
Apr 3, 2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks everyone. I've got everything sorted out now

Panda Genma
Apr 3, 2003, 10:31 AM
See though, the problem is that Apple's DVD player doesn't support ANY 5.1 streams. It can do Prologic, but that's it. I have a M-AUDIO Audiophile card and a Yamaha RP-U200 receiver which should work great. I have a SPDIF running to it from the audiophile, but that only does like 3 channels, and that isn't a bitstream, it's PCM. So, I use the USB because it's a USB receiver as well. Problem is I only get Prologic support, which is okay but... you know. Apple talks about support for high end audio and brags about audio support, where is it?

acj
Apr 3, 2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Panda Genma
See though, the problem is that Apple's DVD player doesn't support ANY 5.1 streams. It can do Prologic, but that's it. I have a M-AUDIO Audiophile card and a Yamaha RP-U200 receiver which should work great. I have a SPDIF running to it from the audiophile, but that only does like 3 channels, and that isn't a bitstream, it's PCM. So, I use the USB because it's a USB receiver as well. Problem is I only get Prologic support, which is okay but... you know. Apple talks about support for high end audio and brags about audio support, where is it?

What? That's BS. 5.1 or greater sound has been standard on PC's for some time. Why doesn't Apple do this? They are supposed to be on the forfront of this sort of thing. Grumble grumble...

Panda Genma
Apr 3, 2003, 01:34 PM
Yeah see, Apple claims to have the digital hub, but they have crappy 2 channel output. SPDIF's and other multichannel outputs have been coming standard on PC's for as far back as 4 or 5 years ago. Sure, they have Prologic, but where is the digital? I was fooled by Apple's wording when I bought my computer. They say on their site that Mac OS X has 5 channel audio built in to the core system, but they don't specify the method. I assumed DD and DTS were built in. Apparently not. I think have heard that people have gotten VideoLAN Client to send bitstreams, but I'm not too sure. Anyone know anything about that?

mdeschenes
Apr 3, 2003, 05:51 PM
I have also purchased the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card and I am very satisfied with its performance. It comes with a lot of useful software and you have several set-up options available to you according to your speakers of choice.

I recommend this audio card - though it is somewhat pricey.

Mike

meateater
Apr 5, 2003, 03:35 AM
i installed the the M-Audio Revolution 7.1(retail $99 at comp usa) with the logitech z-680 speaker system in my dual 1.42. it rocks!!!! very happy with it :)

meateater
Apr 5, 2003, 03:36 AM
i installed the the M-Audio Revolution 7.1(retail $99 at comp usa) with the logitech z-680 speaker system in my dual 1.42. it rocks!!!! very happy with it :)

Foxer
Apr 7, 2003, 10:13 AM
I'm looking to upgrade the sound on my PowerMac as well and was looking at this card over the weekend. Does installation of the card disable the audio jacks present on the mac - namely the headphone jack on the front? Also, right now I'm using soundsticks through a USB port. Will those be disabled as well, or will I have to go to the system menu and change between the two? Thanks for any help available.

D0ct0rteeth
Apr 7, 2003, 11:34 AM
Updating your soundcard will require you to ditch the soundsticks and purchase a new speaker set.

The soundcard has its own ports coming out on the back of the cpu... you will be using those. Including a headphone jack.

You could continue using both the headphone jack and the soundsticks, but have wasted the money on the soundcard.

-Doc