Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Yup. No issues to complain about with either my '99 bondi 333Mhz imac, or my '05 1.42Mhz g4 mini. I have never even called applecare because I have found these machines to be totally reliable.
From the tone of alot of the recent posters having hardware issues, I may NEVER switch to the latest greatest pc chip. Reminds me of when Rockford Fosgate went mainstream with their car audio line... next thing you know it's all cheap common parts and poor quality!
I still have a BD1000 from rf before they got too big to keep quality first. I hope I don't have to speak of Apple in the same way some day:rolleyes:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
A lot is to be said for older technology. I think late-model PPC products cut the fine line between being competitive (or adequate at least) performance-wise, whilst still being affordable and reliable. My iMac G5 and iBook G4 work perfectly (touch wood). :)

RobTuck

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
UK
Ive had 2 Macs so far.

First, a 15" Powerbook G4. It has worked great for about a year, but over the last few months, ive had so much trouble with it. It works no trouble in clamshell mode, but if I use it as a laptop, it will randomly send itself to sleep. Sometimes refusing to wake. It used to just be when using battery power, but now does it using mains too. Im trying to get AppleCare to sort something out.

Second Mac is a 20" Intel Core Duo iMac. Its excellent. Not had any trouble with it at all, and ive had it since March. Its pretty much been in constant use since then too, as its my desktop machine at work.

The Powerbook problem hasnt deterred me from buying Macs though. From my point of view though, going on my experiences so far, PPC Macs could seem to be the poorer quality. I dont think this though, I just take it on the chin and am glad I got AppleCare.
Still loving the Macs though. Im waiting for delivery of my 3rd Mac, a 24" iMac for home.

I think its like anything you buy. Sometimes you get something that will work flawlessly for years. Sometimes you get one with a dodgy component. Its the nature of technology. Ive owned a Dell laptop for over 5 years, and its never had a single problem. Yet, I hear so many horror stories about Dell laptops.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Yeah, we don’t really hear from people with no problems. As, understandably, the most vocal users are the ones that are one their 5th replacement.

My parents are running my retired 6 year old iMac that runs like a dream. The only downside is that I can’t get them drivers for cameras and things on mac OS 9.2.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
My g4 mac mini has run flawlessly as well. I'd keep it if it were a tad faster with Photoshop, and if it had more jam in the video ram. I'm getting a new mac soon, very soon; a rev. b iMac, probably, or a C2D MacBookPro. I wish here was a super mini, or a Cube II, or a screenless iMac, or a mini MacPro or...

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
My family got our G3 Graphite iMac in 2000. It's still chugging away. I'm typing my post on it right now.

The only problems we've ever had with it are the following:
1) We left it on for like a month straight, no sleep, no power offs and it couldn't find it's hard drive for a few hours.

2) The Slot drive doesn't eject properly anymore, because the motor's kind of dead.

3) My sister knocked my father's coffee onto the keyboard, destroying it. Hence we bought a new one.

That being said, the machine still runs practically flawlessly. In fact, I'm using it to serve airport to the house, as our wireless router died. I bet we could probably get another two years at least out of it too.

Apple iMacs are some nice tech, really.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I've only bought 3 Macs, but one is 8 years old (PowerBook G3) and still runs great, despite the internal screen having aged (dimmer now). My eMac and PBG4 still run perfectly too.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I dont think MacRumors shows an accurate picture of faulty products.

I had a G4 Powerbook that gave me fits, had lots of problems, and I have a MPB, that has been more or less problem free.

So like anything else, take it with a grain of salt. I am glad you are happy with your computers. But we all secretly want that quad core mac pro ;)

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
well just thought id add, no problems EVER with ANY mac, ibook G4, powerbook G4, Powermac G5, imac G4, emac G4, nothing, nada, ever, getting 1st intel mac (24incher imac) this week so im praying for continued success rate lol

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
I have a G3 400mhz iMac DV, a G4 450mhz Cube, a G4 800mhz eMac, a G5 1.8ghz iMac 20", and now a dual 2ghz MacBook. All have always functioned perfectly since day one with the exception of a bad DVD drive in the Cube which was replaced under warranty at a local Apple reseller. People always tend to complain when there are problems but you never hear from them when things are fine.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I HAVE had failed 3rd-party components that needed warranty replacement in my Macs. Like the IBM hard drive that died in my PowerBook G3 (I had a backup luckily).

But NONE of my Mac-owning friends and family have had ANY failures, in or out of warranty. So they think I am cursed :) (They have an iBook, a Power Mac, and misc. iMacs of all ages. I actually have not heard of any Mac repairs among my other acquaintances either--but they might not have mentioned it.)

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
Me too... Me too...

I switched to mac from Windows one year ago. went from 3 MS computers to 4 macs in one year (inc. the macbook I bought for my son's graduation.) The first was a 1.42 mac mini. Great machine, perfect (cheap) gateway drug for a switcher. Very stable and pretty fast (non-graphic user primarily) with 1 gb of ram. Next bought $100 g3 Powermac off Ebay. Loaded panther and now 640mb ram. Perfect for word processing and internet. Very stable even though it is 6 years old. Works perfectly. Next bought 1.33 Ibook 12" with 1 gb ram. Probably is my favorite of the bunch. Very handy size, fast enough for what I use it for. Very stable. I use a 250 gb hard drive for music storage with it. DOes get a little toasty in the lap, however. I can't get the macbook away from my son long enough to play with it. It does seem to be very stable, however. No problems at all. He tells me that most kids in the dorm wish they had macs. I like that he does not have to worry (so far) about viruses, spyware, etc.

All in all, the switch to mac has been great. It is SO nice to be able to use these machines, have them work, and never really worry about the bugs out there in windows land. It really has saved me hundreds of hours of work, trying to keep the windows machines chugging along was a real pain. And they were not old, either... and I used good virus protection and spyware scans regularly. Computing with a mac is a WHOLE NEW BALLGAME, AND COMPUTERS ARE FUN AGAIN!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.