PDA

View Full Version : Has Apple Lost Its Security Shine?

MacBytes
Sep 19, 2006, 10:07 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Has Apple Lost Its Security Shine? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060919230702)
Description:: With the latest large sets of security patches and an alleged wireless driver vulnerability, Mac OS X no longer seems invincible. Our expert delves into the real threats in the Apple world and outlines simple steps you can take to protect yourself.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Cowinacape
Sep 19, 2006, 11:21 PM
Wouldn't seem to be much of a news flash here, build it and some fool will hack it, if for no other reason that to say they can. Hopefully Apple can keep on top of things, better than Microsoft has.

p0intblank
Sep 19, 2006, 11:24 PM
Does Mac OS X have any viruses at the moment? Exactly... nothing has changed. Holes are found; big deal. Apple usually fixes them within days.

bousozoku
Sep 19, 2006, 11:48 PM
Mac OS X isn't as bad as Windows at its best, let alone its worst. Information Week has lost its mind.

A specially-prepared system to allow cracking and this is a security problem for the 19 million active Mac OS X users?

As far as security updates, there have been plenty and this is a good thing, especially since they're bundled. There is no confusion about what you need or how to get it or apply it--click to download and click to restart and apply.

If Microsoft were to successfully fill all those security holes in their operating system, they'd have more than 3 digits' worth most likely. Add to that the fact that ActiveX is a security whole by design that will never be fixed and you've got a much bigger mess than Mac OS X will ever be at its worst.

EricNau
Sep 19, 2006, 11:50 PM
Has Apple Lost Its Security Shine?

HA HA HA! That's a good one.

iJaz
Sep 20, 2006, 06:34 AM
Well, the article was ok. With a rubbish headline to catch people's interest.

miniConvert
Sep 20, 2006, 06:37 AM
Until I get me a juicy piece of malware on OS X it's all rosey in my eyes.

SPUY767
Sep 20, 2006, 08:45 AM
Until I get me a juicy piece of malware on OS X it's all rosey in my eyes.
This is a good article. . .

For me to poop on!

Swarmlord
Sep 20, 2006, 08:53 AM
First, nothing is invincible. Having said that, I haven't found anything as secure and stable as Mac OS/X Tiger unless I count Solaris running on Sun hardware. Of course if a bunch of hackers set their mind to penetrating a vulnerability in a system - any system - they will eventually find a weakness to exploit. I think that Apple responds to any threats like this very quickly and I feel secure with my system even when browsing in unfamiliar waters.

DWKlink
Sep 20, 2006, 10:24 AM
Its only a matter of time before a big virus hits osx. I do believe that for the most part... but this article just seems off on so many points.

Eg - was anything ever settled with that whole black hat security issue? I heard that rep steps were never made public - even to apple, and that the hack was done through a 3rd party usb wireless device. Who would put a 3rd party usb wireless device on their macbook that already comes standard with wireless support built-in (which cannot apparently be hacked). That black hat conference caused a whole lot of misunderstanding and bad press for apple... and it wasn't even an apple "problem" (i use the word problem very loosely since this hack hasn't even be shown to be legit.)

Silencio
Sep 20, 2006, 11:53 AM
John C. Welch is one of the smartest Mac writers out there. This article is pretty common sense, though it looks quite dumbed down by TechWeb's editors: something especially apparent in the assigned headline.

Lixivial
Sep 20, 2006, 12:06 PM
Its only a matter of time before a big virus hits osx. I do believe that for the most part... but this article just seems off on so many points.

Eg - was anything ever settled with that whole black hat security issue? I heard that rep steps were never made public - even to apple, and that the hack was done through a 3rd party usb wireless device.

The only point you make about the article missing its mark is something they covered in the third paragraph:

Relax, that's not about to happen. For starters, the MacBook that the security researchers hacked into was modified: The vulnerable driver was for a third-party wireless access device, not the AirPort card that's built into the MacBook.

The article was dumbed down, yes, but I was one of those who submitted it to Macbytes because I found that it provided a good piece of very basic reference material for those among the community who believe they're invincible because they're on a Macintosh. Particularly the dialog box check, or have people forgotten that those can be spoofed (http://alastairs-place.net/archives/000079.html)?

Unfortunately it was given a terrible headline to catch reader interest. I don't blame Welch for that or for dumbing it down, but rather CMP/TechWeb as Silencio suggested. Even still, I find it to be a valid piece of reference material for those basic users out there to follow.

netdog
Sep 20, 2006, 12:12 PM
Has Apple Lost Its Security Shine?
Description: With the latest large sets of security patches and an alleged wireless driver vulnerability, Mac OS X no longer seems invincible. Our expert delves into the real threats in the Apple world and outlines simple steps you can take to protect yourself.

More rubbish from the PR Office in Redmond.