PDA

View Full Version : Zune doesn't work with MS Playforsure - basically it's the...

MacBytes
Sep 19, 2006, 10:10 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Zune doesn't work with MS Playforsure - basically it's the iPod model (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060919231033)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Blue Velvet
Sep 19, 2006, 10:12 PM
Interesting. And funny too... what a compelling purchase this is going to make for many, not.

Mudbug
Sep 19, 2006, 10:14 PM
"here's the new player. You like it?"
.. "looks great. Does it work with iTunes?"
"uh... no..."
.. "Oh, ok - then it must work with all that stuff I downloaded from that new Napster thing, right?"
"uh... no..."
.. "..."
"uh... so you want that iPod in white or black?"

Xander562
Sep 19, 2006, 10:15 PM
hahaha wow, that's hillarious. looks like it ---->

nospleen
Sep 19, 2006, 10:18 PM
Bawahahahaahaahahahahahaha!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

p0intblank
Sep 19, 2006, 10:20 PM
I don't know what Microsoft is thinking... they need to stick with something and stop thinking of new things.

emorydunn
Sep 19, 2006, 11:15 PM
Oh No. Sounds like Microsoft is trying to be... dare I say it... inovative (like the inovative teem that came up with the name "Zune" in the first place). Next thing we know they'll set up a store with downloadable movies and games- and i can't wait 'till the Zune update comes out: "Oh, you want to be ablt to play Zune 1.0 stuff... well we can sell you the Zune 2 that does that for an extra $100."

Kingsly
Sep 19, 2006, 11:16 PM
hahaha wow, that's hillarious. looks like it ---->
Just what I thought! :D

swingerofbirch
Sep 19, 2006, 11:32 PM
So, doesn't microsoft already have the msn music store and the urge store? Those are both playforsure right?

Why are they diluting their chances in the market with three stores?!

Jarbo
Sep 19, 2006, 11:43 PM
If there was ONE reason, all things being equal, that I might go with an MP3 player other than an ipod it might be becuase I could get my music from a variety of places.

The only reason itunes-ipod works so well is becasue a) They got a head start and b) becasue the system is seamlessly designed and integrated.

Even if (big IF) ZUNE is just as good. it's still not as good becuase it's behind the game. It'll have to be better than ipod to compete, not the same.

dornoforpyros
Sep 20, 2006, 12:03 AM
uhh I have to ask, is Microsoft TRYING to fail here? Then again Sony has been screwing itself out of any standard format for the last 20 years and yet continues to forge a head with blue ray.

balamw
Sep 20, 2006, 12:14 AM
uhh I have to ask, is Microsoft TRYING to fail here? Then again Sony has been screwing itself out of any standard format for the last 20 years and yet continues to forge a head with blue ray.
They are doing a few things right. Supposedly the player does support (unprotected) AAC and the interview posted today in other threads hinted at MPEG-4/H.264 support, even though the first one out are supposed to lack video capabilities...

It remains to be seen if Zune will do what I have suggested before as a prerequisite for an iPod killer, and be able to import your iTunes library playlists and all, without conversion for supported formats...

That said, it does look like they are setting themselves up, doesn't it.

B

qtip919
Sep 20, 2006, 12:27 AM
Being that I work somewhat closely with the groups involved with this whole debacle, I can say a couple of things:

1. It is obvious, for many reasons, that the whole Playsforsure thing does not work. One of which is the lack of seamless experience since MS does not control: a, the hardware, or b, the service (save the URGE and MSN music offerings...which are a tiny, tiny slice of the market)...and even where they control the software, their hardware offerings are not AT ALL what they are expecting from their "partners"

2. Microsoft has seen the light: controlling the hardware brings a much better experience to the users. Obviously, we've been living the dream of stable hardware and software with end-to-end designed experiences. But Microsoft has made many many times the amount of money by building platforms. For developers, business apps, Operating systems, this is just fine and dandy.

But listen, seriously, Windows kicks the living crap out of Mac in the REAL *business* world. Thankfully, my business computer does not need to be my personal computer. Dont get me wrong, I develop for Windows, but run home to my mac. But, at the end of the day, 4% of the market doesnt even register as a blip on the radar.

Back to the point - Microsoft has realized that if they want to take any of the money away from ipod/apple's CLOSED system, they need to develop their own system with complete control over the hardware, software and service. On top of all of this, they want and intend to innovate - and to do the kinds of things that they want to do, the playsforsure thing is broken. So is any other model.

in the end, they HAD to abandon their own system. It wasnt an easy choice, it was the last choice. But, in the end, it will turn out to be the right choice.

Look, Im a real fan of some of the ideas they are coming up with for music sharing. Mainly because I dont steal music. I dont go to the Library, borrow CDs and burn them to my music collection. I dont download music off of the internet. So, in the end, I am forced to "share" music by listening to great radio stations like KCRW and KEXP - but how do you share a song with someone when you find a song that just makes you want to listen to it all day...?

Would this new device make me trade in my ipod? Hardly. Would I recommend it to someone? Depends on what they are looking to do...
In the end, this simply makes the competition a tad bit better. Competitors like Sony are too proud to admit their failings. Competitors like Creative and freinds are simply incapable of competing with an end-to-end solutions like Apples.

For me, Im just glad to see competition. Competition makes everyone better. Hey, maybe this will drive Apple to come up with their own set of new ideas and features ... wouldnt that benefit us all??

We should be cheering them on...

Good luck underdogs, you're gonna need it...

swingerofbirch
Sep 20, 2006, 01:09 AM
Being that I work somewhat closely with the groups involved with this whole debacle, I can say a couple of things:

1. It is obvious, for many reasons, that the whole Playsforsure thing does not work. One of which is the lack of seamless experience since MS does not control: a, the hardware, or b, the service (save the URGE and MSN music offerings...which are a tiny, tiny slice of the market)...and even where they control the software, their hardware offerings are not AT ALL what they are expecting from their "partners"

2. Microsoft has seen the light: controlling the hardware brings a much better experience to the users. Obviously, we've been living the dream of stable hardware and software with end-to-end designed experiences. But Microsoft has made many many times the amount of money by building platforms. For developers, business apps, Operating systems, this is just fine and dandy.

But listen, seriously, Windows kicks the living crap out of Mac in the REAL *business* world. Thankfully, my business computer does not need to be my personal computer. Dont get me wrong, I develop for Windows, but run home to my mac. But, at the end of the day, 4% of the market doesnt even register as a blip on the radar.

Back to the point - Microsoft has realized that if they want to take any of the money away from ipod/apple's CLOSED system, they need to develop their own system with complete control over the hardware, software and service. On top of all of this, they want and intend to innovate - and to do the kinds of things that they want to do, the playsforsure thing is broken. So is any other model.

in the end, they HAD to abandon their own system. It wasnt an easy choice, it was the last choice. But, in the end, it will turn out to be the right choice.

Look, Im a real fan of some of the ideas they are coming up with for music sharing. Mainly because I dont steal music. I dont go to the Library, borrow CDs and burn them to my music collection. I dont download music off of the internet. So, in the end, I am forced to "share" music by listening to great radio stations like KCRW and KEXP - but how do you share a song with someone when you find a song that just makes you want to listen to it all day...?

Would this new device make me trade in my ipod? Hardly. Would I recommend it to someone? Depends on what they are looking to do...
In the end, this simply makes the competition a tad bit better. Competitors like Sony are too proud to admit their failings. Competitors like Creative and freinds are simply incapable of competing with an end-to-end solutions like Apples.

For me, Im just glad to see competition. Competition makes everyone better. Hey, maybe this will drive Apple to come up with their own set of new ideas and features ... wouldnt that benefit us all??

We should be cheering them on...

Good luck underdogs, you're gonna need it...
First, you are quite ethical.

Second, I do see competition as good. And I guess the only reason people give Microsoft a hard time is because Apple enthusiasts have really enjoyed this renaissance since Steve Jobs returned to Apple. Some of the successes seem too hard to believe. Every time I hear the iTunes Stores' figures, I'm like, "Really? wow." I think there's a lingering fear of Microsoft's successful business models in the past. They saw Netscape and they took over that market. And it seems they like to own whatever market, seemingly for the sake of owning it. I think no matter what Apple will be sustained by its computer business. But the iPod/iTunes phenom has really been icing on the cake for Apple enthusiasts. It causes PC users to look at the Mac in a moment where the OS is really shining, and the hardware is top-notch.

Compare that to 1997. I remember being in science class and some kids were playing hangman. The answer on the board MACS SUCK. I am not making it up when I say that in my peer group of nerds, I was really made fun of for being a Mac user. (Nerds can be quite mean.) That perception has completely changed, I think in large part because of the iPod.

I agree with your analysis of the marketplace. A player having an associated music store makes sense for any number of reasons, but mostly in terms of ensuring a better user experience. Of course it does raise questions about the longevity of those music files. When will a 128 kbps AAC M4P be a record album?

There lies the central problem: having standards seems to eliminate the possibility of keeping a closed ecosystem.

In terms of the sharing feature that the Zune will have; its usefulness will require a level of ubiquity the same as that of iPod. In a way it's just like recommending a song to a friend because from what I understand the song disappears after three days. It might be akin to creating an iMix for example except on a more personal basis.

I'll be curious to see how it works. I think the issue of non-transferability will be a barrier to Microsoft. But I have no doubt of their intent to barrel through any obstacles.

iJaz
Sep 20, 2006, 05:07 AM
If MS make a thousand different approaches to the music market maybe one will be successful, maybe...

whooleytoo
Sep 20, 2006, 09:57 AM
Yuk. It looks like Microsoft has just decided against the one feature of the Zune that I thought might appeal to me over the iPod - an open model.

miniConvert
Sep 20, 2006, 10:12 AM
Crikey, the only reason I though this may do alright (as in Creative alright, not iPod alright) was because of all those music services like Napster that it'd also be compatible with.

What a diabolical mistake on the part of Microsoft.