PDA

View Full Version : Napster hangs "FOR SALE" sign

MacBytes
Sep 19, 2006, 10:15 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tunes
Link: Napster hangs "FOR SALE" sign (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060919231505)
Description:: The current incarnation of Napster was launched with great fanfare in late 2003. Since that time, the company's fortunes have ebbed against the onrushing tide of Apple's iTunes Store. It only took four months before the company's president and chief financial officer bailed on the firm and layoffs arrived. Even so, by February 2004, the company had carved the number two position in the music download scene behind Apple, although it has since fallen from that spot.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

whenpaulsparks
Sep 19, 2006, 11:34 PM
i was going to say... i was using napster in 1999... but it says "current" incarnation was launched in 2003.

dornoforpyros
Sep 20, 2006, 01:11 AM
ahh poor napster, you know I honestly think that had they been able to get their pay model out in a timely fashion after the lawsuits back in 99 they would be on top of the mountain right now.

They had the user base, they had the technology, they had the name awareness. Yet the RIAA/Metallica seemed hell bent on destroying them rather than saying "wow, look how open people are to digital music, let's make this work"

then again this may just be a fantasy of mine that would never float in the real world of lawyers & contracts and such.

backspinner
Sep 20, 2006, 03:20 AM
They had the user base
uhm, no? The old napster had a user base. The company that bought the name did not have that user base at all. It's two completely different products!

MacBoobsPro
Sep 20, 2006, 03:25 AM
uhm, no? The old napster had a user base. The company that bought the name did not have that user base at all. It's two completely different products!

Didnt Microsoft buy Napster? :confused: (genuine question)

iSaint
Sep 20, 2006, 06:05 AM
Didnt Microsoft buy Napster? :confused: (genuine question)

Or, will they? :confused:

miniConvert
Sep 20, 2006, 06:14 AM
Napster's service is good, I used it for quite a while. It was the incompatibility with my Sony Walkman that eventually made me stop. Windows Media DRM is just horrible, Apple's DRM seems much tidier. I've since just started buying CD's again and ripping them into iTunes as nothing else, frankly, compares.

RichP
Sep 20, 2006, 07:07 AM
I've since just started buying CD's again and ripping them into iTunes as nothing else, frankly, compares.

I agree, you have no DRM then, and no compatibility issues to worry about. Also, you have complete control over the quality, and you can rerip to embrace codecs that offer better quality and features. I tend to check it out on iTunes, then jump to Amazon to purchase the CD.

I think napster's name is dead. It was big 7 years ago, which is an eternity in computer time.

Sesshi
Sep 20, 2006, 07:16 AM
I cancelled my Napster membership, just got fed up of the DRM implementation. I don't know whether it's the DRM itself or the crappy firmware on players from Creative, iRiver, etc but it was DOG slow to transfer protected music and would often fail. I realise DRM has to be there for subscription services and that's fine with me as I buy CD's of the stuff that I hear which I want to keep, but the Windows DRM + DRM firmware from also-ran manufacturers like Creative and iRiver just doesn't work properly.

Eventually the benefits that I could see of an all-you-can-eat service lost its shine alongside the sheer hassle of getting the music on the players. Bring on iTunes subscription - I'd much rather give my 180/year in subscription fees to Apple instead of Napster, Rhapsody, Zune, etc because I know it'll be usable.

dornoforpyros
Sep 20, 2006, 07:38 AM

yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about, the old napster. I realize that the current incarnation is nothing more than the name attached to some one else's product.

I'm just saying that had the old napster gone legit it would have done well I think.

Sesshi
Sep 20, 2006, 12:14 PM
yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about, the old napster. I realize that the current incarnation is nothing more than the name attached to some one else's product.

I'm just saying that had the old napster gone legit it would have done well I think.

How could it have gone legit? It's business was entirely focused around piracy. :rolleyes:

p0intblank
Sep 20, 2006, 01:01 PM
I'm glad Napster is finally dying. When I think of them, I think of their horrible TV ads during the Super Bowl one year... the one where they showed the Apple logo and then Napter's pricing next to it. It seemed so low budget.

So good riddance to you, Napster!

SkyBell
Sep 20, 2006, 07:50 PM
Off topic but RichP, your sig is now out of date :)