PDA

View Full Version : My 1.42 makes odd sound when Safari installed

law guy
Apr 2, 2003, 10:46 PM
This could either be a hardware or a software topic, but either way, this is odd. After installing Safari, I noticed a sort of motorized Ka-chunck sound coming from my dual 1.42. I suppose it could be best be described as a different sound from the usual "purr" of the box. I rebooted a few times to make sure it wasn't some odd glitch that would fix itself. It wasn't the clicking of a seeking HD either. Anyway, I took Safari off the machine as it was the only thing I'd changed from the "no-odd-sound" period to when the sound started (immediately after as far as I can tell). Once Safari was off, and the machine rebooted, no odd noise. What the heck? Any ideas as to what's going on there?:confused:

iJon
Apr 2, 2003, 11:16 PM
i think i know what you are tlaking about. how loud is it. if it is what im thinking of then i have it too. i think its normal. i just hear this sound every now and then that sounds odd. i only notice it when i dont have any music on so its no that loud. seems normal to me. i have a dual 1.25.

iJon

law guy
Apr 2, 2003, 11:36 PM
iJon - yeah, not very loud, but different so it stood out. As you know, my machine is in the study at home so I could hear it today when the house HVAC was off. So you say you hear it from time-to-time? Still seems to be linked to my installing and then removing Safari. I'm thinking something in Safari that uses the HD in a weird way ? OR... I don't know why it would mess with how the case fans operates... and it really didn't sound like the fan going on. It's hard to say what the heck it was, as once the sound appeared, I couldn't pin-point where it was coming from. If you've gobs of time, you could delve into some controlled scientific observation by taking Safari off your system and see if the sound is still there. If you have all sort of bookmarks, etc., that probably isn't an option.

ottonian
Apr 3, 2003, 02:38 PM
Not with Safari but sometimes on reboot It sounds like a plane taking off and then settles into a nice humm...

iJon
Apr 3, 2003, 03:00 PM
i dont notice it with safari or anything. i will just be watching tv and ill hear that noice. my computer hasnt acted weird. try searching macfixit, ill check too, this could be a problem but i highly doubt it.

iJon

iJon
Apr 3, 2003, 04:15 PM
well i was just typing in safari and i heard the noise, maybe it is just safari, ill keep observing to see when i hear it.

iJon