PDA

View Full Version : Switcher looking at 17inch iMac


JBBoxT
Apr 2, 2003, 10:56 PM
I wanted to get a 17 inch iMac after I graduate this year. When will a the iMac most likely be updated. And if i ordered it say the end of May and Panther comes out soon would i still have to pay to upgrade? p.s. im new to apple products

Catfish_Man
Apr 2, 2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by JBBoxT
I wanted to get a 17 inch iMac after I graduate this year. When will a the iMac most likely be updated. And if i ordered it say the end of May and Panther comes out soon would i still have to pay to upgrade? p.s. im new to apple products

Check the buyers guide to see when it would be likely to be updated.

It's unclear whether Panther will be a payed upgrade or not (10.1 wasn't, 10.2 was), so if you can wait until it comes out, then you probably should. Your choice of hardware is excellent, btw. I really wanted the 17" iMac (ended up with a PowerMac instead, which is fine).

JBBoxT
Apr 3, 2003, 08:48 PM
well I hope panther isn't a purchase upgrade after having the computer for only a few months

RBMaraman
Apr 3, 2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by JBBoxT
well I hope panther isn't a purchase upgrade after having the computer for only a few months

Welcome to the world of Macs...Usually, if a new OS is released within 90(?) days of your computer purchase, It will be offered at a cheaper price for you. (I purchased an iBook in August of 2001 and OS 10.1 was released in September of 2001, so I only had to pay a $20 price).

Since the iMac's were last updated in February, I'd expect an update sometime in late summer. But you have to remember, nobody knows what Apple's going to do. If you really want an iMac, get one after your graduation. Don't sit around waiting forever.

JBBoxT
Apr 3, 2003, 10:09 PM
well ive heard about getting upgrade vouchers when you purchase a new apple, so how long are those good for. are they good for OS versions or what?

RBMaraman
Apr 3, 2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by JBBoxT
well ive heard about getting upgrade vouchers when you purchase a new apple, so how long are those good for. are they good for OS versions or what?

New Apple Machines and Software usually contain 3 voucher coupons which Apple recommends you keep. Essentially, they are useless. They mainly include them in case they ever issue a minor update on disc, or in case they release a major update within a few weeks of your purchase. In the case of my iBook, Apple required that I send in 1 coupon to prove I had purchased the machine within the specified time frame that they had set. When Jaguar came out in August of 2002, I quickly found out that the software voucher coupons are useless.

Realize that Apple products are expensive, and hardly anything is free. Expect to pay for things.

benixau
Apr 3, 2003, 11:06 PM
pay for it means you can expext/demand a good quality product.
BUT dont expect premiere for $100. features and quality are different.

j5cheung
Apr 3, 2003, 11:35 PM
buy it! I just brought an ibook and it's awesome. I wish I had the $$$ for a powerbook as it's kinda slow...

Go Mac and don't look back!

JBBoxT
Apr 4, 2003, 08:34 PM
well has anyone else successfully used a voucher or think that this update will be free or a full uprgrade like Jaguar

anneleonard
Apr 5, 2003, 04:05 AM
I just love mine, its the best thing I've ever bought. Its incredibly compact, the base, yet the screen is just the right size, fitting two good-size windows in side-by-side. Its also amazing with movies, I keep renting dvds to watch because its such a pleasure with the lovely flat widescreen. We even had 10 people round and I took my iMac downstairs into the lounge to watch a dvd on it! its so portable that that wasn't a problem at all, and everyone enjoyed the movie :D
Whether you buy it now or later, enjoy it!

JBBoxT
Apr 5, 2003, 10:57 PM
yah im gonna love watching my dvds on this Imac, it'll be even nicer than watching it on my dads 15 TiBook.

Swordfish
Apr 27, 2003, 02:18 PM
I'm buying the 17" 1Ghz iMac w/Superdrive this week. Has anyone had problems with this unit? I've read nothing but good things on this unit. I'm also thinking of getting Virtual PC w/XP (unfortunately I still have to use Windows for work)...is anyone out there using this application? Is it as good as the company claims? I heard that it's slow so I was going to add an additional 512 of RAM (total 768) to the unit. Would this help? I'm sure the additional RAM would help with my other apps (i-series, photoshop, etc.).

Also, Is anyone using VPN from a Mac to a Windows network? If so, how well does it work? Any issues?

Swordfish

Swordfish
Apr 27, 2003, 02:45 PM
Well, after reading all the posts regarding Virtual PC, I think I'll hold off for now and just use my Athlon XP desktop for Windows crap (after I transfer all the good stuff to the Mac). :)

Swordfish

Life without knowledge is death in disguise.:cool:

ebow
Apr 27, 2003, 02:56 PM
JBBoxT,

If your upcoming graduation is from high school and you'll be entering college, you can buy Panther from the Apple Store for Education (when it's released in the fall, of course). You'll just go to http://store.apple.com/ and click on the "Education" link in the "Interests" section of the left-hand side. If it's priced like previous releases, the retail price will be $129 while the educational price will be $69. That should take some of the edge off. Most likely Panther won't be out until late September (best guess until we hear otherwise) so you might as well get months of extra enjoyment out of the iMac over the summer. Oh, and you might as well buy the computer itself from the Apple Store for Education (AppleCare and all). :cool:

dynamicd
Apr 27, 2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Swordfish
I'm buying the 17" 1Ghz iMac w/Superdrive this week. Has anyone had problems with this unit? I've read nothing but good things on this unit. I'm also thinking of getting Virtual PC w/XP (unfortunately I still have to use Windows for work)...is anyone out there using this application? Is it as good as the company claims? I heard that it's slow so I was going to add an additional 512 of RAM (total 768) to the unit. Would this help? I'm sure the additional RAM would help with my other apps (i-series, photoshop, etc.).

Also, Is anyone using VPN from a Mac to a Windows network? If so, how well does it work? Any issues?

Swordfish

I have the 800 mhz 17" and if you get VPC i would definitely recommend getting it with windows 2000. Just make sure to turn all of the features that aren't necessary in windows off.

yzedf
Apr 27, 2003, 11:35 PM
VPC is better with the max RAM you can get. Especially when running Safari / iChat and other apps at the same time...