PDA

View Full Version : Help with removing iBook parts

nickelbackmac
Sep 20, 2006, 09:20 PM
Yes, my cursed iBook has returned. I'd love it if all the parts weren't faulty (well some of them).

How do I remove:

CD-DRIVE
HARD DRIVE

I tore off the aluminum-similar stuff that covers the top of the CD drive under the keyboard. Will that affect anything? Thanks!

Warbrain
Sep 20, 2006, 10:55 PM
Yes, my cursed iBook has returned. I'd love it if all the parts weren't faulty (well some of them).

How do I remove:

CD-DRIVE
HARD DRIVE

I tore off the aluminum-similar stuff that covers the top of the CD drive under the keyboard. Will that affect anything? Thanks!

Have fun getting the hard drive out. It's supposedly something like 40 screws that you need to remove to just get to it.

DaveP
Sep 20, 2006, 11:12 PM
I have taken out the hard drive on an iBook a number of times. I personally don't think it is difficult. The guides on http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/ are quite helpful. The only thing you need to be careful for is to keep track of your screws. I generally just laid out a towel and put them on the towel as I took them out. I've also heard of double-sided tape as well as ice cube trays. Good luck.

nickelbackmac
Sep 21, 2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks DaveP! The instructions really help! I'm trying to get the lower casing off without a spudger, hopefully it will work. I sure hope I don't screw this iBook up, my friend wants to buy it back from me once it is officially fixed.

DaveP
Sep 21, 2006, 05:36 PM
I think I generally used a credit card instead of the spuger or whatever. It does take a bit of force. I think I got it started by prying a bit with a screwdriver.

nickelbackmac
Sep 21, 2006, 10:09 PM
This iBook is on its way to recovery. I'm working out deals for a new HD and possibly a newer upper casing since the other one's trackpad cable snapped. An untested CDROM drive has been bought from a member here, disconap. So yeah, if I get a new casing and more RAM then this should run again!

PS: After I put everything back together, it worked! I pulled the optical drive, the RAM (128MB), and the failed HD. I plugged it in, and now it shows the blinking "?" until I get another HD.

Someone let me know if they have any sticks of RAM for G3 iBook 500s, at least 256MB, 144-pin connection.