PDA

View Full Version : IBook OS X upgrade issues

monicax
Sep 20, 2006, 09:50 PM
IBook PowerPC G3 700 MHz 256 MB OS X Ver 10.2
I want to upgrade OS X to 10.4.7.
I don't have acces to high speed internet so I had someone download it on a pc and burn it to disk. It loads and goes through "mounting..." when it stops doing its thing, the installer comes up tells me it cannot load the software.
I have tried reloading the operating system to no avail. I also have noticed that my help files won't load either...possible connection???? Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks.

nickelbackmac
Sep 20, 2006, 09:59 PM
IBook PowerPC G3 700 MHz 256 MB OS X Ver 10.2
I want to upgrade OS X to 10.4.7.
I don't have acces to high speed internet so I had someone download it on a pc and burn it to disk. It loads and goes through "mounting..." when it stops doing its thing, the installer comes up tells me it cannot load the software.
I have tried reloading the operating system to no avail. I also have noticed that my help files won't load either...possible connection???? Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks.

So... did you hold down C when you started up your iBook to install it? You have enough RAM and processor speed. I'd install 10.4 alone first. I had an iBook that went from 10.3.9 to 10.4 just fine, but after I installed update 10.4.1, the hard drive failed.

mad jew
Sep 20, 2006, 10:02 PM
I don't have acces to high speed internet so I had someone download it on a pc and burn it to disk.

I think that's your problem. OSX works best when extracted from a box, a retail box. :o

nickelbackmac
Sep 20, 2006, 10:04 PM
BTW (by the way), are you sure your friend didn't just download the update for Tiger? I don't know of any way of downloading 10.4.7, maybe 10.4, but never have I seen 10.4.7 for download. I think 10.4 with security update 7 would take eternity to download, even with high-speed. Just ask your friend for the name of the download he burned. It should be more than 1 disc, unless he has a SuperDisc! Post his answer up here when you get it.

meepm00pmeep
Sep 20, 2006, 10:10 PM
you could always go to you friends place & hook up your mac to his router and dl the update from there

monicax
Sep 20, 2006, 10:45 PM
The file is called MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.7PPC.dmg and is about 10 mgb. Didn't know about the "C" will try that and hooking up directly to high speed. Thanks for the input...

mad jew
Sep 21, 2006, 12:36 AM
Erm, you can only use that file to upgrade 10.4 or later to 10.4.7. If you're running Jaguar then it won't work. :(

Ryan T.
Sep 21, 2006, 12:49 AM
The file is called MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.7PPC.dmg and is about 10 mgb. Didn't know about the "C" will try that and hooking up directly to high speed. Thanks for the input...
Yeah, wouldn't you think an Operating System would be more than 10MB?