PDA

View Full Version : 10GB iPod EOL'd?

MacRumors
Apr 3, 2003, 07:49 AM
MacBidouille reports (http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-04-02#5158) that the 10GB iPod has been EOL'd (End of Life'd).

MrMacMan
Apr 3, 2003, 08:18 AM
One word:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

So what the hell about the 5GB model, sure its been gone for a really long time but I didn't hear that it was EOL'd. :o

rice_web
Apr 3, 2003, 08:29 AM
I've been looking to get an iPod for months now; since the 5GB model left, I've been withholding my purchase. If new iPods are on the way, here I come iPod.

cubist
Apr 3, 2003, 08:29 AM
Seems very unlikely... Demand is high; supply is low. Maybe they're going to intro 20 and 40 GB ones at lower prices very soon.

RLB
Apr 3, 2003, 08:39 AM
Cnet has a list of resellers and their avaibility of 10 gb mac ipods. Only 1 supplier has them. Here is the link:

http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0,10231,0-6342420-311-20154999,00.html?tag=st.ce.6342420-1302.lp.6342420-311-20154999[/URL]

Also, back in March, there was the deal for only the 10 gb mac ipod (you got a free charger). Put into context with the latest speculation of new itunes and the new music service in April, new ipods are on the way.

Wes
Apr 3, 2003, 08:55 AM
Actually, the one site cnet.com says has them (Here (http://www.planetminidisc.com/ipod10gb-mac.html)) Displays Availability: OUT OF STOCK

ebow
Apr 3, 2003, 09:05 AM
I think this is great news, if true. It would be official acknowledgement that the current models' runs are coming to an end. Just because the 10GB model is en fin de vie (sorry, I'm in a weird mood this morning) doesn't mean there will be no new 10GB model. It could just be different / improved, and hence a "new" product.

2COOL4SCHOOL
Apr 3, 2003, 09:40 AM
About time.

Le Big Mac
Apr 3, 2003, 09:57 AM
Another reason could be this: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/dealercontracts.html

Think Secret reports that a number of resellers have had their distribution contracts cancelled, and can no longer place new orders with Apple.

MorganX
Apr 3, 2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
Another reason could be this: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/dealercontracts.html

Think Secret reports that a number of resellers have had their distribution contracts cancelled, and can no longer place new orders with Apple.

Someone should buy Apple.

BillyShears
Apr 3, 2003, 11:21 AM
Translation of original article/blurb:

Ceci n'a rien d'une rumeur. Selon une source interne à la FNAC, l'iPod 10 Go est maintenant listé comme produit en fin de vie. On peut en déduire que sa fabrication va cesser. Maintenant, à vous d'en déduire quelque chose ou pas.

This is no rumor. According to one source from FNAC (?) the 10 gigabyte iPod is currently listed as an end of life product. We can deduce from that that it's production will stop. Now it's up to you to deduce if this means something or not.

Of course, my French is a little rusty.

EDIT: Fixed first sentance, thanks to mustang_dvs.

bentmywookie
Apr 3, 2003, 11:54 AM
New iPods must definitely be on the way then - the 10 gigs are out.

Many educational stores at universities now offer the 10 gig for free with different powerbooks.

jxyama
Apr 3, 2003, 12:23 PM
FYI... Univ. of Michigan computer store has been "giving away" 10 GB
iPods with the 12" and 17" PowerBooks for a few weeks now... The
deal they have is that for about $50 more than the regular Apple price,
you get the 3-year AppleCare and the 10 GB iPod. Sounds like Apple is
trying to get rid of the old iPods for..? :D

(Didn't see the post right before me... So this must be a national thing...)

Snowy_River
Apr 3, 2003, 01:53 PM
I've been waiting for the new iPods for some time. I really hope that they integrate some nice new features (like an FM tuner) into them...

iJon
Apr 3, 2003, 03:31 PM
maybe this month will be the month, since all the rumors are saying that music service will be ready, maybe thats what apple has been wating for, if there even is a music service. at the rate im adding songs, 5gb ipod will go to my girlfriend or something and ill get something bigger.

iJon

chewbaccapits
Apr 3, 2003, 04:23 PM
I like the sound of "en fin de vie"...What about a spanish version?

dp6ai
Apr 3, 2003, 04:39 PM
I bought a new Ipod 10Gb from John Lewis recently. when i got it home i plugged it in and waited a reasonable time to charge it. As soon as i unplugged it it went completely dead. When i took it back to the shop they said there were lots of problems with the firmware and they had pulled them from there shelves and that apple were being dificult because they were about to release a new Ipod (?Titanium?) with in the next month has anyone else heard anything about this and if so when is it due for release.

Thanks in advance.

PD

iJon
Apr 3, 2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by dp6ai
I bought a new Ipod 10Gb from John Lewis recently. when i got it home i plugged it in and waited a reasonable time to charge it. As soon as i unplugged it it went completely dead. When i took it back to the shop they said there were lots of problems with the firmware and they had pulled them from there shelves and that apple were being dificult because they were about to release a new Ipod (?Titanium?) with in the next month has anyone else heard anything about this and if so when is it due for release.

Thanks in advance.

PD
thats odd, who is john lewis anyways?

iJon

dp6ai
Apr 3, 2003, 05:02 PM
Its an over priced shop in the UK

crap freakboy
Apr 3, 2003, 05:15 PM
Thing is wth John Lewis though they are never knowingly undersold and their instore warranty is 2-3 years, on comps I think its 3.

And no I'm not one of their shareholders.

:D

Monkeypoo
Apr 3, 2003, 05:37 PM
Well, After waiting too long to get an ipod, I began contemplating getting a digital camera instead. And now ipods may be coming out soon...again. I just don't know what to do so I guess I'll hold off on any purchase until the apple splash page comes up since I technically spent the gift money I got in february that would have help pay for the 20 gig ipod. It's almost cruel and unusual punishment f or these rumors to be posted but since it is page 2, I have only myself to blame if I take stock in it.:o

Hozie
Apr 3, 2003, 06:04 PM
Just FYI ''Ceci n'a rien d'une rumeur' DOES NOT MEAN 'this is no more than a rumor'. It means 'this is NOT a rumor', as in `we're sure of it'. Take it from a native French speaker...

EponymousCow
Apr 3, 2003, 08:12 PM
I think it is interesting that Apple has gone to great lengths to not EOL the 5GB model.

Actually, dropping the 10GB model makes some sense. Apple can maybe make a cheaper 5GB model (like the $999 iBook, which is white plastic instead of clear plastic painted white on the inside).

So, let's say this:

$199 5GB - cheaper plastic
$399 20GB - 18mm thick
$499 40GB - 21mm thick

The $199 model is to go for market share, the other two to drive profits.

Le Big Mac
Apr 3, 2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by EponymousCow
I think it is interesting that Apple has gone to great lengths to not EOL the 5GB model.

Actually, dropping the 10GB model makes some sense. Apple can maybe make a cheaper 5GB model (like the $999 iBook, which is white plastic instead of clear plastic painted white on the inside).

So, let's say this:

$199 5GB - cheaper plastic
$399 20GB - 18mm thick
$499 40GB - 21mm thick

The $199 model is to go for market share, the other two to drive profits.

The fact that the 10gb model is EOL doesn't mean there won't be a 10gb model, does it? It appears that Apple is going to make significant revisions to the iPods, which is why they aren't just rolling out new ones to replace the old ones. It still makes sense to have a 5, 10, and 20, and maybe a 40, at different price levels. Entry level up to music hound. The iPod would be helped by having an even more affordable bottom-of-the-line.

Cryocon
Apr 4, 2003, 02:51 AM
Here in London, UK, a lot of retailers have started to get iPods back in stock. I went to a shop yesterday and they had recieved a couple of hundred that morning. These were 10Gb and 20Gb, Mac and PC versions, and are still the same price as before.

T'hain Esh Kelch
Apr 4, 2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
The fact that the 10gb model is EOL doesn't mean there won't be a 10gb model, does it? It appears that Apple is going to make significant revisions to the iPods, which is why they aren't just rolling out new ones to replace the old ones. It still makes sense to have a 5, 10, and 20, and maybe a 40, at different price levels. Entry level up to music hound. The iPod would be helped by having an even more affordable bottom-of-the-line.
MmMmmm... Microphone.. MmMmm.... FM Transmitter... MmMmm...

Tassilo
Apr 4, 2003, 09:54 AM
Cyberport (german Apple-distributor) displays an updated iPod 10GB to come 15th of May, priced 459 Euro.

http://www.cyberport.de/webshop/cyberportItem.omeco?PHPSESSID=0d04e1e16946b9451811a1c89cd5b685&GROUP=511&ARTICLEID=12229&PHPSESSID=0d04e1e16946b9451811a1c89cd5b685

Can't seem to see anything new though, despite maybe reduced height.

ebow
Apr 4, 2003, 11:07 AM
That Cyberport URL didn't work for me, and because of whatever awful backend they're using to run their shop, you can't run any of it through Google Language Tools nor Babelfish.

The URL for the site is http://www.cyberport.de/webshop/ -- just search for "iPod". You won't really learn anything, though. The 15 May reference translates as "presumably available" so it's likely they don't know anything too specific.

RLB
Apr 4, 2003, 11:52 AM
Interestingly, the Soho Apple store has no windows ipods in stock. They have been out for a couple of days. This is not to say that they are not getting more but supplies are definately low.

AngusB
Apr 4, 2003, 12:31 PM
Of course, we could be ready to see 20GB, 40GB, and 60GB as the three IPod models...

Ummmm.....20GB Ipod for 299.00....

AngusB
Apr 4, 2003, 12:34 PM
Check out this article on 60GB Toshiba drives...dated Oct 2002

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2123312,00.html

Angus

MacFan25
Apr 4, 2003, 03:44 PM
okay, i have been waiting since right before MWSF, and i am still waiting. come on, apple. we all want some updates.

BillyShears
Apr 4, 2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Hozie
Just FYI ''Ceci n'a rien d'une rumeur' DOES NOT MEAN 'this is no more than a rumor'. It means 'this is NOT a rumor', as in `we're sure of it'. Take it from a native French speaker...

Yeah, sorry about that, I caught it once you pointed it out. That phrase did seem a little off to me... thanks for the correction.

DTphonehome
Apr 4, 2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by AngusB
Check out this article on 60GB Toshiba drives...dated Oct 2002

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2123312,00.html

Angus

This isn't the type of drive used in the iPod. If I remember correctly, Apple uses the 1.8" drive format. That's what makes the iPod so light and small. Archos' MP3 players use the 9.5mm high 2.5" laptop drives (which are now up to 80GB, FYI).

--DT

mustang_dvs
Apr 4, 2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by BillyShears
Yeah, sorry about that, I caught it once you pointed it out. That phrase did seem a little off to me... thanks for the correction.

Billy, just to prevent future confusion, can you edit the translation in your original post? -- for those who don't read the whole page... Thanks.

crushrus
Apr 4, 2003, 09:14 PM
Not sure if any of you have been looking into the emerging mp3 player market, but there are starting to be some really good alternatives.
archos has a 20 gig that plays mpeg4 video (in color) is a picture viewer, has audio in and a port to connect either a digital camera lens, or a media dock (to upload smart cards etc) all for $339msrp, which means as low as $250.
there is also another model unveiled recevently (the name escapes me) that is about the same size as the ipod, but has full color touch screen and a whole host of just about every option you could ever ask for. it's slated to release later this year.
my point?
apple needs to step up. they've been lucky that no one else has produced another decent looking mp3 player, because at their inflated prices they wont be able to rely on looks alone for very much longer.

zac4mac
Apr 4, 2003, 10:34 PM
Looks are only part of iPod.
As much as it's appearance bests that "Buzz Lightyear's Backpack" from Archos, it is function and ease of use that still separates the 'Pod from the 'Pack. There are still no alternatives I've seen, to fit my needs.
I ordered one right after His Steveness announced them and I realized that it had all the features I wanted. I've been as impressed with it as I was when I saw the first Walkman. I bought two of them on the spot, no small feat on a sailor's pay in 1980. I take my tunes seriously, one of the the main reasons I joined the Navy was to get a stereo in Japan...

physicsnerd
Apr 5, 2003, 01:42 AM
One thing I just noticed was that the estimated ship times on apple.com for both the 10 and 20 gig models have gone from 1-2 days as of Thursday (I checked when this was 1st posted) to 3-5 days on Friday. A Tuesday release might be the reason for the shipping delay. *cross fingers*

physicsnerd

etype
Apr 5, 2003, 03:45 AM
Ordered a 10GB iPod last month. Order status says it's shipping "On of before 4/22/2003".

Falleron
Apr 5, 2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Cryocon
Here in London, UK, a lot of retailers have started to get iPods back in stock. I went to a shop yesterday and they had recieved a couple of hundred that morning. These were 10Gb and 20Gb, Mac and PC versions, and are still the same price as before.
I am waiting for new iPods. However, the UK apple store says that the shipping times for 10Gb iPods is only 1-3 days.

crushrus
Apr 5, 2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by zac4mac
I take my tunes seriously, one of the the main reasons I joined the Navy was to get a stereo in Japan...

was america all out of them or something?
:D

my point was simply that many other companies are coming out with cheaper, more functional models and if apple hopes to hold its market share, they need to update the ipod soon.

Sedulous
Apr 7, 2003, 03:15 AM
Maybe they are going to release a dual PPC970 iPod...

RLB
Apr 7, 2003, 03:11 PM
Dealmac reports that retailers are trying to clear their stock of 10 gb mac ipods:

http://dealnews.com/articles/49658.html

I wonder why! Screw the ibooks give me a new ipod.

RLB
Apr 7, 2003, 03:27 PM
Also, in the UK 10 gb ipods are now shipping in 6-8 days.

Snorlax
Apr 7, 2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by RLB
Also, in the UK 10 gb ipods are now shipping in 6-8 days.

Where do you see how long the shipping time is?

RLB
Apr 7, 2003, 04:11 PM
Pretend to buy one until you get to the page where it tells you when it is shipping. Then remove it from your order.

Magicite
Apr 7, 2003, 04:46 PM
10 gig iPods are on sale at my local target for $339.

The tag they use is 'clearance.'

Snorlax
Apr 7, 2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by RLB
Pretend to buy one until you get to the page where it tells you when it is shipping. Then remove it from your order.

Ok, here in Sweden the shipping time is 1-3 days... porhaps they haven't updated yet..

Abstract
Apr 7, 2003, 05:23 PM
The fact that people are saying that the 10GB is gone, plus the 5GB is out of stock at a lot of places means one thing to me: new product. Completely new, mind you. Apple doesn't usually make things cheaper without a reason, and not even resellers would give away a 10GB iPod for an extra $50 when you purchase Applecare unless they knew of something coming up. It's got to be huge.

Not to start this stupid conversation again, but they're probably going to add one or more of the features that you've all been waiting for (line-in, voice recorder), as well as a nicer display. They need to stay ahead of the pack, because like Crushrus said, there are many cheaper alternatives that are possibly as good as the iPod, or are simply better value-for-money than the iPod. I considered buying an Archos machine because it was 40% cheaper than a 5GB iPod. There is no way I would purchase an iPod unless there was a reason to pay the extra $200 dollars (Canadian $$$).

BillyShears
Apr 7, 2003, 05:38 PM
That, or make the 20 gig version the base model... which isn't going to happen. Completely new... hmmm....

Oh, they're coming tomorrow, by the way.

RLB
Apr 7, 2003, 05:59 PM
Whatever they do, I hope it is soon. The Apple Stores in Soho and in Westchester have 0 ipods combined, and don't know when they are getting any in.

JPGR_Fan
Apr 7, 2003, 06:02 PM
10 gig iPods are on sale at my local target for $339.

The tag they use is 'clearance.'

Target was one of the retailers that did not reup with Apple. Maybe that explains the 'clearance.'

(Just trying not to get my hopes up for that 40 gigger)

alia
Apr 7, 2003, 07:09 PM
Target might not have renewed as a dealer, but why would they put them on clearance? I mean, then they are just losing even more money than if they'd just let them run out of stock naturally.

At least, that's how it seems to me!

Alia

Monkeypoo
Apr 8, 2003, 04:11 PM
Best Buy just got in a few 20 g window ipods and have had about 3 10 gig windows ipods every time I've gone in there (every other week for fun browsing time). I didn't put much stock into one of the employee's comments that don't plan on carrying mac ipods in the future because I'm hoping he's wrong and he seemed to be shooting from the hip that since they hadn't gotten any in for awhile that must mean they will never carry them again. I certainly hope they carry them so I can get the 4 year warranty plan cause that's how long it better last...unless batteries wil switch from $$$$ apple only replacements to $$ consumer replaceable (and I don't mean those people out there who open up their ipods and fix the problem themselves), then I'd have to rethink the warranty especially since I get pounded by sales tax here.

BooRadley
Apr 8, 2003, 05:50 PM
I have a contact at Apple....of course I cannot name the person. Over lunch I asked if I should buy an ipod. Without saying anything specific they told me not to. They said wait a couple weeks, you'll be happy you did.

Take it for what it's worth.

BillyShears
Apr 8, 2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by BooRadley
I have a contact at Apple....of course I cannot name the person. Over lunch I asked if I should buy an ipod. Without saying anything specific they told me not to. They said wait a couple weeks, you'll be happy you did.

Take it for what it's worth.

Sure, as long as you don't scissor me or Atticus Finch up. (Nice name)

RLB
Apr 9, 2003, 10:48 AM
ThinkSecret (http://www.thinksecret.com) explains why the ipods are on sale at Target. They failed to resign with apple.

Wardofsky
Apr 11, 2003, 09:20 PM
An new design would be interesting.
But not too different.