Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
One word:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

So what the hell about the 5GB model, sure its been gone for a really long time but I didn't hear that it was EOL'd. :eek:

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
I've been looking to get an iPod for months now; since the 5GB model left, I've been withholding my purchase. If new iPods are on the way, here I come iPod.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
"fin de vie"

I think this is great news, if true. It would be official acknowledgement that the current models' runs are coming to an end. Just because the 10GB model is en fin de vie (sorry, I'm in a weird mood this morning) doesn't mean there will be no new 10GB model. It could just be different / improved, and hence a "new" product.

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003
Translation of original article/blurb:

Ceci n'a rien d'une rumeur. Selon une source interne à la FNAC, l'iPod 10 Go est maintenant listé comme produit en fin de vie. On peut en déduire que sa fabrication va cesser. Maintenant, à vous d'en déduire quelque chose ou pas.

This is no rumor. According to one source from FNAC (?) the 10 gigabyte iPod is currently listed as an end of life product. We can deduce from that that it's production will stop. Now it's up to you to deduce if this means something or not.

Of course, my French is a little rusty.

EDIT: Fixed first sentance, thanks to mustang_dvs.

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
New iPods must definitely be on the way then - the 10 gigs are out.

Many educational stores at universities now offer the 10 gig for free with different powerbooks.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
FYI... Univ. of Michigan computer store has been "giving away" 10 GB
iPods with the 12" and 17" PowerBooks for a few weeks now... The
deal they have is that for about $50 more than the regular Apple price,
you get the 3-year AppleCare and the 10 GB iPod. Sounds like Apple is
trying to get rid of the old iPods for..? :D

(Didn't see the post right before me... So this must be a national thing...)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I've been waiting for the new iPods for some time. I really hope that they integrate some nice new features (like an FM tuner) into them...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
maybe this month will be the month, since all the rumors are saying that music service will be ready, maybe thats what apple has been wating for, if there even is a music service. at the rate im adding songs, 5gb ipod will go to my girlfriend or something and ill get something bigger.

iJon

dp6ai

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2003
end of Run

I bought a new Ipod 10Gb from John Lewis recently. when i got it home i plugged it in and waited a reasonable time to charge it. As soon as i unplugged it it went completely dead. When i took it back to the shop they said there were lots of problems with the firmware and they had pulled them from there shelves and that apple were being dificult because they were about to release a new Ipod (?Titanium?) with in the next month has anyone else heard anything about this and if so when is it due for release.

Thanks in advance.

PD

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: end of Run

Originally posted by dp6ai
I bought a new Ipod 10Gb from John Lewis recently. when i got it home i plugged it in and waited a reasonable time to charge it. As soon as i unplugged it it went completely dead. When i took it back to the shop they said there were lots of problems with the firmware and they had pulled them from there shelves and that apple were being dificult because they were about to release a new Ipod (?Titanium?) with in the next month has anyone else heard anything about this and if so when is it due for release.

Thanks in advance.

PD
thats odd, who is john lewis anyways?

iJon

Monkeypoo

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2003
90 - 30
ho hum

Well, After waiting too long to get an ipod, I began contemplating getting a digital camera instead. And now ipods may be coming out soon...again. I just don't know what to do so I guess I'll hold off on any purchase until the apple splash page comes up since I technically spent the gift money I got in february that would have help pay for the 20 gig ipod. It's almost cruel and unusual punishment f or these rumors to be posted but since it is page 2, I have only myself to blame if I take stock in it.:eek:

Hozie

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2003
Just FYI ''Ceci n'a rien d'une rumeur' DOES NOT MEAN 'this is no more than a rumor'. It means 'this is NOT a rumor', as in `we're sure of it'. Take it from a native French speaker...

EponymousCow

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2003
Interesting

I think it is interesting that Apple has gone to great lengths to not EOL the 5GB model.

Actually, dropping the 10GB model makes some sense. Apple can maybe make a cheaper 5GB model (like the $999 iBook, which is white plastic instead of clear plastic painted white on the inside).

So, let's say this:

$199 5GB - cheaper plastic
$399 20GB - 18mm thick
$499 40GB - 21mm thick

The $199 model is to go for market share, the other two to drive profits.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: Interesting

Originally posted by EponymousCow
I think it is interesting that Apple has gone to great lengths to not EOL the 5GB model.

Actually, dropping the 10GB model makes some sense. Apple can maybe make a cheaper 5GB model (like the $999 iBook, which is white plastic instead of clear plastic painted white on the inside).

So, let's say this:

$199 5GB - cheaper plastic
$399 20GB - 18mm thick
$499 40GB - 21mm thick

The $199 model is to go for market share, the other two to drive profits.

The fact that the 10gb model is EOL doesn't mean there won't be a 10gb model, does it? It appears that Apple is going to make significant revisions to the iPods, which is why they aren't just rolling out new ones to replace the old ones. It still makes sense to have a 5, 10, and 20, and maybe a 40, at different price levels. Entry level up to music hound. The iPod would be helped by having an even more affordable bottom-of-the-line.

Cryocon

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2003
iPods back in stock

Here in London, UK, a lot of retailers have started to get iPods back in stock. I went to a shop yesterday and they had recieved a couple of hundred that morning. These were 10Gb and 20Gb, Mac and PC versions, and are still the same price as before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.