PDA

View Full Version : September 21, 2005: Screw the nano

MacBytes
Sep 21, 2006, 09:41 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: History
Link: September 21, 2005: Screw the nano (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060921104116)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Jasonbot
Sep 21, 2006, 10:24 AM
Cellphones will never take the portable music player market, battery life, size and audio quality are all sorts of factors to consider!

kingtj
Sep 21, 2006, 10:24 AM
I don't claim to know what really went on "behind the scenes" with Apple and Motorola before they released the ROKR phone. But by all counts, the negative publicity for the phone is well deserved.

Is that because Apple wanted the phone to fail all along, as part of a long-term plan to make the competitors look bad before unveiling a "far superior" Apple-branded phone? Or maybe Motorola went off on their own, designing it "their way" and only worked with Apple the bare minimum amount required to ensure they could legally play their iTunes music files?

Who knows?

But the fact is, Motorola can and does produce some very nice phones, and the ROKR isn't one of them. If they would have, say, released a RAZR type phone with a memory card slot in it and the ability to play all types of music copied onto said card from a PC or Mac using iTunes - then they could have really had something. Basically, owners would have a nice, slim/sleek phone that doubles as having the same capabilities as an iPod shuffle, but with a screen to boot.

dashiel
Sep 21, 2006, 11:27 AM
But the fact is, Motorola can and does produce some very nice phones, and the ROKR isn't one of them. If they would have, say, released a RAZR type phone with a memory card slot in it and the ability to play all types of music copied onto said card from a PC or Mac using iTunes - then they could have really had something. Basically, owners would have a nice, slim/sleek phone that doubles as having the same capabilities as an iPod shuffle, but with a screen to boot.

i bought a SLVR recently (and lost it more recently), i didn't care about itunes being on it, but i figured since i had it might as well try it.

it's a total novelty, i used it twice, maybe three times. the controls are lame, the sound is mediocre, the headphones were garbage. maybe when cell phone/mp3 players come standard with bluetooth headphones that have built in mics they'll make an impact. until then it's an even more worthless gimmick than the video cameras.

cloudnine
Sep 21, 2006, 11:42 AM
i bought a SLVR recently (and lost it more recently), i didn't care about itunes being on it, but i figured since i had it might as well try it.

it's a total novelty, i used it twice, maybe three times. the controls are lame, the sound is mediocre, the headphones were garbage. maybe when cell phone/mp3 players come standard with bluetooth headphones that have built in mics they'll make an impact. until then it's an even more worthless gimmick than the video cameras.

Yeah, because using bluetooth functionality on a cellphone doesn't *already* devour battery life... :rolleyes: I'd love to see the battery life numbers on a cellphone that plays itunes through bluetooth headphones while maintaining relatively good sound quality... hah. While yes, an mp3 player is capable of doing things well, I have the feeling that a phone/mp3 player combo (unless absurdly large in size) would just have horrendous battery life.

KingYaba
Sep 21, 2006, 11:47 AM
It all depend if you are a person who loves to talk on his or her cell phone. I am not one of these people. I despise cell phones, and I hate talking on them. So of course I'm going to favor the iPod :)

termite
Sep 21, 2006, 03:15 PM
I'd love to see the battery life numbers on a cellphone that plays itunes through bluetooth headphones while maintaining relatively good sound quality...
Considering the rate of improvement for phones and iPods over the last few years, I think you're underthinking this. Assuming the power reduction continues at the same pace such that a cell phone iPod lasts for days on a single charge, wouldn't you rather carry one tiny box around than two?

Of course, the people forecasting convergence between mp3 player and phone usually assume the phones will take over because they're cheap and there're so many cell manufacturers. Uh, I've used a lot of phone UIs and I've used the iPod UI and there's no question in my mind about which manufacturer will annihilate the others.

solvs
Sep 22, 2006, 07:38 AM
I have a ROKR. It's ok, but it's no iPod. My shuffle has a better interface. :p Mostly just bought it because it was cheap and had a long battery life. But it's good on trips or walking around to play a couple of songs. Provided I remember my headset. Which I never do.

Oh, and he was just kidding around when he said that. I'm sure there was some jealousy, but it wasn't said out of spite. Well, it was... but he was smiling when he said it. ;)