Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I just finished a new site layout, and for the heck of it I used a 10X10 grey PNG with an alpha transparency of about 50% for the background of a DIV. I figured that in good browsers, you can see the background image through it, which looks neat, and in bad browsers with no alpha channel support, it just looks grey, which is fine too.

Tested it in all the standards: Safari under 10.4, latest safari under 10.3, Camino, Firefox, Opera, IE7,6,5, IE5 Mac, even iCab. No probs--either transparent, or flat grey (or nothing at all, in the case of IE5 Mac, which is ok too).

...except for the heck of it I downloaded a standalone Safari 1.0 from Multi-Safari to see how it would look to folks on 10.2, and the box displays with a MUCH darker transparent grey background, and the text has turned into black blocks. Can't read it unless you highlight the text, and it looks rather ugly.

Is anybody familiar with why Safari 1.0 might be doing this, and if there's a workaround?

Site is, the box is right there at the top of the page:

http://animeworld.com/

(Edit: Oh, and of course both the CSS and XHTML1.0 Transitional validate; it'd be strict if it weren't for the Google searchbox.)

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
The site looks good to me. I wouldn't even worry about the Safari 1.0 issue. I doubt many Anime users have outdated OSX and an outdated browser.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Thank you for the comment, and while you're correct from a statistical standpoint, the useage isn't quite zero--I still see 50 pageviews a month or so from that browser. Yes, that's only like .02%, and it's significantly less than the number of Netscape 4 hits I see (who I'm feeding a TOTALLY bland page with no CSS at all), but I'm a Mac user, and I want to be kind to the handful of folks stuck on 10.2 and still holding on to that old version of Safari--it otherwise seems to work fine. I figure if I went out of my way to add some CSS3 shadow effects that are ONLY supported by Safari, I could take a moment to be kind to those really early users, too.

I just wish I knew if this was a bug that can be worked around, or if any transparent PNG background is going to do it. I'd read about what sounded like the same issue in one forum post somewhere and that indicated that there were some PNGs that didn't do this, but offered no suggestion as to what the difference was.

Shoot.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.