PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Wizards and Soldering Swordsmen....

frescies
Apr 3, 2003, 01:39 PM
I will pay to see someone with a firm grasp of electronics, and whatnot, successfully upgrade the graphics in a flat panel imac (particularly the 800mhz 17"). I realize that this is conventionally "impossible" due to the fact that the graphics is soldiered onto the mobo, but in the computing world nothing is impossible these days. I know that it would take much more than soldiering (programing and whatnot) but I would pay to see it done!!

Be it just increasing the vram or adding a whole new chipset, I wish it were feasable

Mr. Anderson
Apr 3, 2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by frescies
I will pay to see someone with a firm grasp of electronics, and whatnot, successfully upgrade the graphics in a flat panel imac (particularly the 800mhz 17").

If you do find help in this little project, you should post the results. What exactly do you have in mind? Swapping out the current card with a new one? Like the Radeon 9700?

D

hvfsl
Apr 3, 2003, 03:10 PM
Or you could wait for the next iMac to come out and buy a replacement motherboard from the new iMac and put it in yours.

It should cost around about $200. Its a bit like what the person is doing with the ibox.

frescies
Apr 3, 2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by hvfsl
Or you could wait for the next iMac to come out and buy a replacement motherboard from the new iMac and put it in yours.

It should cost around about $200. Its a bit like what the person is doing with the ibox.

Might not work the way I want it to.... I'd like to keep it OS 9 compatible.

Although you do have a point!.... When my warrantee is up and if they make a g5 imac with the same sized motherboard, I think I will do just that! :D