PDA

View Full Version : powerbook heat

mikeyredk
Apr 3, 2003, 04:40 PM
im using a 800 mgz powerbook this is the first time im using it during some type of heat and the computer froze up totally no kernal panics or anything just freeze
now could it be overheating because when i let it rest for a few min i can use it afterwords

opps forgot one more thing it happened when i was folding and another time when i was playing wc3

Rower_CPU
Apr 3, 2003, 04:45 PM
Does the fan come on when you're playing games or folding?

mikeyredk
Apr 3, 2003, 04:59 PM
yes it does

crazzyeddie
Apr 3, 2003, 05:03 PM
You need to make sure that the powerbook is in a position where cool air can get to the bottom of the powerbook. It might have some overheat protection (or just plain failure) from too much heat. I usually prop the powerbook up on a 3-hole punch, or some magazines in the back so more air can get beneath it. This also helps the fan speed and resulting noise.

mikeyredk
Apr 3, 2003, 06:00 PM
grrrrr happened again

mikeyredk
Apr 3, 2003, 07:10 PM
and again

Rower_CPU
Apr 3, 2003, 07:31 PM
If it's giving you that much trouble I'd try a fresh OS install. If it still does it after that then check with a repair shop.

macphoria
Apr 3, 2003, 09:07 PM
Have you ran Apple Diagnostics disc? Are all your hardware parts running properly?

I had my Power Mac overheat and shut down while watching DVD. I checked the air flow, softwares, hardwares, etc but nothing concrete. Until it started to happen constantly, especially while using DVD drive. My DVD drive eventually broke down completely and I realized this faulty drive was causing the overheating problem.

This might not be the case with your PowerBook, but it might be worth it to make sure all your hardware parts such as drives and ports are behaving normally.

Stelliform
Apr 3, 2003, 09:14 PM
I fold almost non stop on my 1Ghz TiBook without trouble. Now if this was a PC, (Sorry most of my comp knowledge is there) when even the mouse freezes it is usually a hardware problem. (Especially if it happens during warm temps.) I would run the apple diags like previously recommended. Is it under warrenty?

And most importantly, do you fold for Team Macrumors, and if no.. Why not?!?!

NavyIntel007
Apr 3, 2003, 09:24 PM
My mom's HP laptop does this too. It's overheating. You can't leave it on all the time.

Over Achiever
Apr 3, 2003, 10:15 PM
Heat can cause your computer to lock up but...

I have a HP laptop, and the fan is broken! Yet I run folding at home 24/7, no major problems. The computer doesn't freeze, etc, but I have to leave it open. If I close the laptop then the heat builds up and the computer shuts down.

Somehow I think that in your situation it might be a hardware problem. :)

mikeyredk
Apr 3, 2003, 10:47 PM
thank you all for your responses but when i was playing wc3 earlier on reduced power it locked up?

if your thinking its a bad wc3 instal its not had wc3 up for more then 6 months
i will try the dig disk

rainman::|:|
Apr 3, 2003, 11:19 PM
my guess is that wherever the software is that takes information from the thermal sensors and tells the computer to do things (like turn on fan, sleep when dangerously overheated) is corrupt, so whenever your computer gets the "way too hot" signal, it locks up until the signal is gone.

just my thought, tho i know nothing about the thermal sensor interface.

if the SW reinstall doesn't help, definitely get it serviced; you don't want your baby melting on you!

pnw

bennyek
Apr 3, 2003, 11:50 PM
Don't you love that nice tingly feeling you get after sitting your Tibook on your lap for too long?
Sometimes I wonder if it is giving me hard boiled eggs

Stelliform
Apr 4, 2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by bennyek
Don't you love that nice tingly feeling you get after sitting your Tibook on your lap for too long?
Sometimes I wonder if it is giving me hard boiled eggs

I usually balance it on my knees way before that feeling..... :D