Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesbennington

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I am trying to use a short clip from the film "Blues Brothers" to use in a powerpoint presentation and I'm looking for some kind of software that will enable me to do this. A friend already suggested mpeg streamclip, but it seems to be a very unfriendly program. I just want to fast forward to the part and set a couple in and out points and pull the clip. Is this possible? Are the copyright protection measures that good? Any help would be great.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i use 'mac the ripper' to strip the protection and then use 'cinematize' to grab the section from the video_ts files. of course, we all know this is illegal, but i mentioned it anyway. i've done the same thing for 2 presentations.

PerfectlyFlawed

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006
what I do is use handbrake to rip it, then use quicktime pro to set the in and out points and then export just that segment.
works well.

jamesbennington

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Whats next?

So thank you to everyone who helped me with the ripper programs. I managed to get the clips I needed and edited to specification. When I tried to transfer the files into powerpoint on my girlfriends PC they would only play back the audio and in fact they wouldn't even insert into the presentation. I tried an Mp4 and an AVI format but on her computer only the audio played. My question is now...how do I convert the clip into a compatible format and insert it into a PPT presentation from a Mac to a PC?

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Keebler said:
i use 'mac the ripper' to strip the protection and then use 'cinematize' to grab the section from the video_ts files. of course, we all know this is illegal, but i mentioned it anyway. i've done the same thing for 2 presentations.

If it's a very short clip, you are not distributing it, you aren't profiting from the presentation, and the audience is not paying to see it, it could arguably come under fair use. But it has to be a narrow set of circumstances.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
jamesbennington said:
So thank you to everyone who helped me with the ripper programs. I managed to get the clips I needed and edited to specification. When I tried to transfer the files into powerpoint on my girlfriends PC they would only play back the audio and in fact they wouldn't even insert into the presentation. I tried an Mp4 and an AVI format but on her computer only the audio played. My question is now...how do I convert the clip into a compatible format and insert it into a PPT presentation from a Mac to a PC?

My experience is that PPT is terrible at playing movie clips embedded in the slide. I've had the best luck with Mpeg-1, which is old and inefficient compared to newer formats, but it works most of the time. The fact that Powerpoint can't seem to reliably handle WMVs is hilarious to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.