PDA

View Full Version : Question about RAM upgrade for 12" PB

evilsprung
Apr 4, 2003, 04:10 AM
Hi all,
I just got my 12" PB and am thinking about increasing the RAM on it. Currently it's at 256 megs. Before I go and do anything though I wanted to know what kind of performance increase would I get if I did increase the RAM? Also how much should I increase it by and what are your opinions on Kingston RAM? Thanks. This is my first post so please dont flame.

robbieduncan
Apr 4, 2003, 04:57 AM
OSX really really likes RAM. It will use all of the available RAM as disk cache even if you aren't running any programs! This speeds up your system massivly. Remember when upgrading that the max you can get in a 12" PB is 640Mb as 128Mb is soldered onto the motherboard. So no matter how much you add to your 256Mb PB you will have to remove 128Mb. Yes this sucks. I would recommend getting a 512Mb stick as you will want this much RAM at some point (I've got 640Mb in my iBook and it's well worth it).

Oh welcome to the boards as well :)

iJon
Apr 4, 2003, 08:16 AM
for about 850 dollars you can put a gig in there.

iJon

robbieduncan
Apr 4, 2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by iJon
for about 850 dollars you can put a gig in there.

iJon

Really? I didn't know that anyone had started shipping 1Gb SO-DIMMs yet (DDR or SDR). Got a link for that?

iJon
Apr 4, 2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by robbieduncan
Really? I didn't know that anyone had started shipping 1Gb SO-DIMMs yet (DDR or SDR). Got a link for that?
no not one me, but someone made a thread here on macrumors about it. some german company made it and tested it out on that powerbook and has pictures to prove it. its bout 850 dollars american. just do a searh through the forums, shouldnt be too hard to find.

iJon