PDA

View Full Version : My eventful switch

DeKa
Apr 4, 2003, 04:37 AM
Hello all, from Sydney Australia.

I'm not really new here - but I thought I'd post my story about switching - it wasn't the smoothest but I'm happy I did now :D

I bought my 17" iMac (with student discount of course) and my first thoughts were 'wow' as I lifted it out of the box. I put it on our polished timber floor downstairs, moved the box away and thought about how it could be some sort of sculpture! Amazing. I had bought it sight unseen, and I'd never seen or used OS X. My only experience with Mac's had been in first year uni.

Our house is completely Windows based... and so is our family business. I look after something like 11 PC's between home and work, so the reason I wanted a Mac was so I could come home to something with no hassle.

Wouldn't you know it though, within several weeks, I came home and my iMac was switched off (I normally let it sleep). I turned it back on, but not much happened. It got past the grey screen, I saw the 'Welcome to Macintosh' screen and that blue bar went wizzing past, but after that I saw the blue screen that comes up before the desktop and nothing more. I was very disappointed :(

After much help from some of you Macrumors guys (thank you!) I gave up and took my iMac to my local AppleCentre who kindly sorted it for me... I'd been able to back up my files by booting into OS9.

Anyway, it's now 9 months later and I couldn't be happier! I bought some more RAM on eBay for my iMac which made it snappier. I love OS X, it's just so 'nice' compared to Windows XP I use at work.

I'm looking forward to my first video editing session - of my cousin's wedding in May. Should be a challenge, and I hope I can show everyone just how good my iMac is!

Are there many Australians or Sydney-siders here?

Derek.

748s
Apr 4, 2003, 05:50 AM
howdy. i'm in sydney and it's too cold. good to hear the iMac is well again, some apple resellers around sydney are dodgy as.......clueless!
what are you editing your cousins wedding with? iMovie or fcp? good luck.

DeKa
Apr 4, 2003, 09:39 PM
Hi 748s,

I went to MacCentric (the new AppleCentre) in Chatswood - they were really good. They convinved me to buy an iPod to add to my iMac that's how good they were hehe not that it took much convincing.

I'll be using iMovie I guess.

I've never done any video editing before, although I did play around with the iMovie tutorial. I don't even have a DV Camera - I just said I'd edit the footage and make a DVD of it to which the answer was phwoooa you can DO that? I said yeah, on my Mac :D

Yes it was cold in Sydney last night wasn't it! Winter hit! Much nicer today.

Derek.