PDA

View Full Version : need help with ibook

jamesi
Sep 23, 2006, 09:30 PM
Im trying to get this ibook of mine up and running but having some issues. when i turn it on, a lil folder with a question mark pops up. i know it needs an OS, and i tried poping 9.2 in there but when i hold down the c button, the screen flickers and then goes back to the question mark folder. the OS 9 cd is pretty scratched but im not entirely convinced that that is the problem. how can i see if the hard drive is bad?

Chundles
Sep 23, 2006, 09:33 PM
Im trying to get this ibook of mine up and running but having some issues. when i turn it on, a lil folder with a question mark pops up. i know it needs an OS, and i tried poping 9.2 in there but when i hold down the c button, the screen flickers and then goes back to the question mark folder. the OS 9 cd is pretty scratched but im not entirely convinced that that is the problem. how can i see if the hard drive is bad?

Need more info.

What sort of iBook is it? Is the OS disc you're using the one that originally came with it?

Mernak
Sep 23, 2006, 09:39 PM
agreed we need more info. hazarding a guess this is a g3. If you have another comp with cd burning capabilities download a live cd of Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com) at the lowest burn speed and see if that will boot the machine, if it does't the problem is probably the hardware.

meepm00pmeep
Sep 23, 2006, 09:40 PM
yah, each Mac has it's on original OS disc... you need it in order to install

rmarasa
Sep 23, 2006, 09:48 PM
What do you mean by needs an OS? Is this computer blank? If so, just find the right install disc and you're fine!

Else if it does have a system on it...
Your problem is most likely VERY minor and not a problem with the hard drive. First, you'll need to find an OS disc that boots your iBook. Was it running OS X or OS 9 before this problem? Do you have your original install discs handy? Or perhaps TechTool Pro or DiscWarrior?

The method you are using to start the iBook is fine. If it's not working then the disc is either bad or more likely just the wrong one. Even if your hard drive is toast, the Mac will still start up this way.

You'll need to boot from a disc like this and use the repair tool like Disk Utility to fix the corruption on your hard drive.

jamesi
Sep 23, 2006, 09:48 PM
it is a ibook G3 from 2001. it has 128 MB of ram, 500 mhz cpu, airport, and a 10 gig hard drive. it was found in the cabinet in a lab at school and no one really knows when it was last used or anything else about it. its missing some keys (damn those are expensive). the cd i used was a copy of os 9 cd, yes a copy. i want to see if it works before i buy tiger for it

jamesi
Sep 23, 2006, 09:51 PM
it was running os X but the folder and question mark look like os 9. i forget why i think it has OS X but ill remember where i read it. i dont have any of the cds that came with it

rmarasa
Sep 23, 2006, 10:01 PM
9.2 should boot that model, but I'd just look for a Tiger disc to borrow to boot it up. I would honesly assume the system is fine, but of course you should check (as I would) first. You'll just have to find a disc somewhere.

Alternatively, hook up a firewire cable between the iBook and your other Mac and connect it using target disc mode.

Mernak
Sep 23, 2006, 10:10 PM
Tiger w/ 128 Megs of ram = not fun

Try a linux disto just to see if it still works, and note that most linux distros are less of a ram hog that OSX so keep that in mind (unless you are using a live cd [live cd with 256 mb ram = sloooooooow] ). OS 9 still works really well with 128 mb ram so you could try that if you can get it to boot from that.

P.S. IMHO I think shelling out the money for tiger on that computer (and probably some more ram too) is going to cost more than what you will get out of it.

jamesi
Sep 24, 2006, 04:28 AM
yea, im having second thoughts about tiger. im trying to give this computer to a friend who really likes using tiger on my powerbook, but yea i just dont think it is powerful enough. ive never used 9 before, lol feels like using windows. someone mentioned target disc mode, i feel lazy for not just googling it, but can i do a full OS install that way?

Mernak
Sep 24, 2006, 11:11 AM
Yeah I can't see why not. Just put the iBook into target disk mode (hold down "T" while booting) connect it to another mac using a firewire->firewire cable. Then boot up the other computer with a CD and choose to install on the ibooks HD (should show up having 10 GBs).