Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
I was wondering how well Apple's penetrating the server market. Perhaps it's still to early to tell. Once again, I'd like to think HAPPY thoughts that the XServe and other Apple products are making inroads into the Windoze world. However, I don't really know. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!

:D

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
The only articles I can find are from last year when Apple improved market share in the server market by 273% (Check it here.) I will see if I can turn up any more recent stuff....

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
I think I remember reading somewhere that they sold 5000 or so of them the first quarter they were availabe. I know that doesn't seem like a lot but I remember the article saying that Apple didn't expect HUGE sales number right away. They're new in this area and are taking it slow...it's gonna take time for IT types to realize the benefits. Also, the XServe has been getting great reviews on non-mac related sites/publications. Hopefully 10.3 Server will make it even better...oh, and the 970's too!!

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
From what i heard, when they first came out they had .3% of the market, now at the end of last year they have 1%.

But they are selling very well, don't forget they have just updated them and added a new product to them as well (clustering).

Somebodies buying them...

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
The server market is conservative - and with good reason. You want your servers to be very reliable and supported for years. To become a serious player Apple with have to stick at this market and show reliability and commitment over the long term. The arrival of the PPC970 and a graduaal expansion of the range to include more powerful 2U units will help. However this market can't be rushed, give it time.

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
That makes sense...

Originally posted by will
The server market is conservative - and with good reason. You want your servers to be very reliable and supported for years. To become a serious player Apple with have to stick at this market and show reliability and commitment over the long term. The arrival of the PPC970 and a graduaal expansion of the range to include more powerful 2U units will help. However this market can't be rushed, give it time.

It seems like Apple just has to long in more time in the Server market to start developing a reputation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.