PDA

View Full Version : I see hard marketing Problems @ PB and PPC970

macmunch
Apr 4, 2003, 01:49 PM
Hmm If its true that the 15,4 inch PB will get PPC970 in the next weeks (sorry, but) who will buy the 12,1 or 17 inch PB ?

Yes some ! Ok but the most will choose this new one !

And its said that this PB is going to volume !

But how will apple Handle it ?

How will the OS understand this Chip ?

So I dont think about the PPC970 to debut in the PB now !

I thnik we will see the Power Mac first with it an 10.3 !

But not ... I would be very Impressed and will buy one !

:D

NavyIntel007
Apr 4, 2003, 02:33 PM
All the next generation of powerbooks will be updated at the same time and if we're lucky they'll put the 970 on all the pro machines at the same time. But probably not.

herr_neumann
Apr 4, 2003, 03:04 PM
If the motherboard will fit in the 15 then I can think of no reason that it wouldnt fit in the 17 aswell. THe 17 would have a higher resolution, but essintially they should be the same. Screen area being the diference between the two higher end PBs and the selling point on the 12 is the size and weight, although I am sure it would get the upgrade to solve the heat issues the 12 has.

iJon
Apr 4, 2003, 03:23 PM
from all the rumors would the 970 even be ready for a apple computer, much less an apple laptop.

iJon

macmunch
Apr 5, 2003, 10:11 AM
No, it was said the he will debut in the 15" PB !

And, Apple will no refresh the new 17" PB !

You can get it since 3 days in Europe they have not sold much till yet , so they never will we refresh them now !

The Problem is they also cant refresh all in the summer because the 15" needs an update !

DHagan4755
Apr 5, 2003, 11:52 AM
For those of you who are skeptical that Apple will put the 970 in the PowerBook first...what would you have said if I told you in December that the new, faster version of FireWire (firewire 800) would debut in the PowerBooks first? You would have all laughed me out of this forum. So anything's possible...

macphoria
Apr 5, 2003, 11:52 PM
Processor with most power will debut in Power Mac first. Power Mac is Apple's flagship product in terms of processing power. It will be the first one to be equipped with G5/IBM 970.

Also, Apple will not update yet to be released 15" Aluminium PowerBook with newer processor when 17" PowerBooks just barely began shipping. If G5/IBM 970 ends up in PowerBook line, it will happen to all models, with varying processor speeds, at the same time.

macmunch
Apr 6, 2003, 07:14 AM
But as many from you already said "Its the year of the Laptop" and I think to show a new chip in a Power Book first would be cool !

The release it than later at WWDC in the PM with 10.3 or in the late summer and Dual CPU configurations !

And dont forgett for a little Apple must do it !

Because of the new Intel Centrino "Pentium-M" he is very fast @ 1.6 GHz as fast as an Desktop 2.4 P4 and need very very less Power !

Up to 6 Hours ...

So Apple as a Pioneer in Laptop build must react !

cb911
Apr 6, 2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by macmunch
But as many from you already said "Its the year of the Laptop" and I think to show a new chip in a Power Book first would be cool !

good point. it would be cool if Apple released the 970 in a PowerBook, but it has to be at least a couple of months off, the 970 can't come out at least until 10.3, right?

ramiman
Apr 7, 2003, 01:27 PM
I just like all of u macrumors members like dreaming but their are some limits and we need a miracle to have PPC 970 in Powerbooks which is practically impossible, lets just cross our fingers during our period of ignorance about those precious processors.

macmunch
Apr 7, 2003, 01:55 PM
What should be impossible ?

They only problem I can think is the support from the OS to the Chip !

But I have a friend he is "paying Developer" :)

He said that it is no Problem for the OS because its the same Chip its an PowerPC the Jaguar now only cant use the 64Bit capibilities !

But the chip should run without Problems !
But when not dont fogett the small Apple updates like 10.2.5 or .6 there could be some changes for the OS to run on a 970, but again I dont think that at this point are any problems !

Falleron
Apr 7, 2003, 02:48 PM
I really cant see the 970 in a laptop first. Possibly a simulataneous release this summer with new powermacs.

Macpoops
Apr 7, 2003, 07:26 PM
It's funny how people are so used to Intels release style they think that is just how chips are released. Desktop first then months later a mobile version. Well this is something that doesn't really apply with chips used in Apple systems. Given there was that acception with the G4 and currently the G4 is too hot in it's high ghz rated chips. Every other Chip that apple has released in a Laptop was simultaniously available on the desktop with the exception the G4 which was never really designed for the desktop in the first place.

Also the inharent differences in RISC vs. CISC architechture in relation to power consumption. RISC chips are much more efficent often by 2 fold then CISC chips this is why it takes Intel longer to produce a mobile chip.

cb911
Apr 7, 2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by macmunch
He said that it is no Problem for the OS because its the same Chip its an PowerPC the Jaguar now only cant use the 64Bit capibilities !

But the chip should run without Problems !

so OS 10.2 could run on the 970 right now, only it wouldn't be able to fully utilise the 64-bit process? did i read that right?

macmunch
Apr 8, 2003, 06:51 AM
Yes, he also said that he found in the compiler instruction set from Darwin

That it is asking him if he uses 32 or 64 Bit !

It in the darwin keneral already so he doesnt see hard problems to intigrade a chip like the 970.