PDA

View Full Version : We Should Have a Religious Forum

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 03:47 PM
There is no doubt that political and religious threads are ones that most people would rather avoid. It seems that those people who would rather avoid such threads are the ones who usually come in and create problems. This is such a problem that the freedom to post religious threads in the Community Discussion Forum has come under fire recently from the mods, who are afraid that such threads may lead to massive flaming and countless personal attacks.

I propose the creation of a Religious Discussion forum that has tolerance for all religious and non-religious points-of-view and that any mass flaming or personal attacks against someone as a result of a disagreement in this forum should lead to severe discipline.

The idea here is that if there is a separate forum for these threads then it will be easier for those who would rather avoid such threads to more easily avoid them. In other words, those who think they may not be able to post in this forum without mass flaming or personal attacks (out of disagreements) should avoid the forum altogether rather than risk getting in trouble; otherwise, they should be expected to come in and act like an adult.

Anyone agree to this?

scem0
Apr 4, 2003, 03:50 PM
I don't think one is necessary, but I wouldn't mind there being one. :)

dricci
Apr 4, 2003, 04:02 PM
I, personally, think that MacRumors.com Forums should ONLY contain discussion of Mac Rumors.

scem0
Apr 4, 2003, 04:09 PM
I could not disagree more dricci.... I wouldn't participate in the
forums if it was all mac rumors. There is such a great community
here. Community disscusion is where it shows, not in mac
news, hardware discussion, etc.

alex_ant
Apr 4, 2003, 04:12 PM
Why do we need a forum for mythological nonsense? I agree with dricci, everything but the Mac discussion needs to go. Have you been in the political forum lately? It's just retarded. I can't even imagine what a religion forum would be like.

Sun Baked
Apr 4, 2003, 04:13 PM
Like the moderators don't have enough to do. :p

scem0
Apr 4, 2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
haha good point sun. :D

How can you (alex ant & dricci) want to get rid of community
discussion? It adds so much to MR... Too see it go (at least to
me) would be devistating. :(

D0ct0rteeth
Apr 4, 2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by alex_ant
Why do we need a forum for mythological nonsense? I agree with dricci, everything but the Mac discussion needs to go. Have you been in the political forum lately? It's just retarded. I can't even imagine what a religion forum would be like.

I wish I could block the community discussion threads when I search for new posts.

-Doc

shadowfax
Apr 4, 2003, 04:19 PM
i think something is stupid, therefore no one should be allowed to do it? alex, that's very anti-democratic, among other things. there is nothing wrong with other people discussing what they want to. this place is more than some pathetic rumor discussion. if we didn't have a community section, there would be so much personal discussion in the news sections it would be irksome. why try to infringe on other people?

as to this idea for a special forum, whatever. i don't see the need. i agree to a vicious policy on personal attacks, but i don't think that a few schmucks doing that should stop the rest of us from having a composed discussion. i think "religious discussion" as a subforum would feel strange. we should keep them here.

scem0
Apr 4, 2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
I wish I could block the community discussion threads when I search for new posts.

-Doc
that is actually a good idea for a new feature...... Arn might
want to consider this. But, personally, I don't see how someone
could want to block community discussion. :)

shadowfax
Apr 4, 2003, 04:22 PM

we can get more mods if necessary, IMO. with growth must administration grow, methinks.

in a real community, they don't close down communities when they have more people than tghe police can handle... they get more. not rocket science. methinks i know some fellows here up to the job.

eyelikeart
Apr 4, 2003, 04:25 PM
or are u perpetuating discussions that u know will lead to controversy & flamewars?! :rolleyes:

I say it's a bad idea. The Political Threads are bad enough already, a Religious Thread would only be as bad.

Are u that bored Shrek?

MacFan25
Apr 4, 2003, 04:26 PM
I don't know if there would be enough religous threads to have a whole forum set up for them or not, though.

scem0
Apr 4, 2003, 04:28 PM
Shrek sure does has a nack for flamewar threads...... but then
again, those are always the most fun :eek: ;) :D.

AlphaTech
Apr 4, 2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
or are u perpetuating discussions that u know will lead to controversy & flamewars?! :rolleyes:

I say it's a bad idea. The Political Threads are bad enough already, a Religious Thread would only be as bad.

Are u that bored Shrek?

I second the motion.

A religious forum would be an incredibly bad idea. Akin to Apple going to a x86 processor... nay, worse. :eek: :p

arn
Apr 4, 2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Shrek
This is such a problem that the freedom to post religious threads in the Community Discussion Forum has come under fire recently from the mods, who are afraid that such threads may lead to massive flaming and countless personal attacks.

Often the problems are not by the 3rd parties, but those who have very strong opinions about the topics at hand... including yourself Shrek.

Let me point out that the community forums should not be a place where you should try to preach or change other people's opinions on their lives/decisions etc...

(Topics may cross those lines of course as in normal discussions... which is perfectly acceptable.)

As for a religion forum... there isn't a need for such a forum... the occasional thread is fine. The political discussions, however, were overtaking the community forum and benefited from their own forum.

I'm sure there are plenty of religious forums out there... I'd refer you to those for further discussions on the topic.

arn

wdlove
Apr 4, 2003, 04:36 PM
I don't think we need a religious forum. Anyone entering MacRumors can ignore any forum that doesn't interest them. The Community discusion is very important! It's just a shame that a few bad apples always hurt those of us that are interested in friendly discussion! ;)

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by scem0
Shrek sure does has a nack for flamewar threads...... but then
again, those are always the most fun :eek: ;) :D.

No, it's just that my threads often unexpectedly become flamewar threads. I don't know why; maybe just a stroke of bad luck. :(

mischief
Apr 4, 2003, 04:37 PM
This is where I wish there were a :rolleyes: available for the header.

Though a Religious Discussion Forum would pull some of the more rabidly religious Zealots off the Community threads it would be a clucking circle for these same folks.

If I was more confident that there could be real and non-foaming-at-the-mouth discourse I would be into a Philosophy and Religion Forum but I doubt that it could go well...

Sun Baked
Apr 4, 2003, 04:37 PM
A Religious Forum is as good an idea as bringing back polls. ;)

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by arn
As for a religion forum... there isn't a need for such a forum... the occasional thread is fine. The political discussions, however, were overtaking the community forum and benefited from their own forum.

Maybe there are not enough religious threads anymore for fear that they may get deleted or closed. Hmmm. Ever think about that? I think there should be a 'freedom of religion' policy (the freedom to post any religious topics that one wants) on MacRumors and a Religious Discussion Forum would enforce this policy.

arn
Apr 4, 2003, 04:41 PM
No, it's just that my threads often unexpectedly become flamewar threads. I don't know why; maybe just a stroke of bad luck. :(

Ah... I have to pull out the analogy I gave to Ovi last year:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=11396&perpage=25&pagenumber=2#post152566

Wake up call here...

The only thing common amongst all your [threads] is that you are a participant.

It's like those people who keep having relationship after relationship that end badly. It's not the people they date... it's them.

something to think about...

arn

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 04:42 PM
A Religious Forum is as good an idea as bringing back polls. ;)

Hey, like my original post says, if you'd rather avoid such a forum, then avoid it!

dricci
Apr 4, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth

This is a great idea! Arn, would it be possible to do a VBulletin hack of some type to do this? Or maybe have the option to pick and choose what categories show on the main page "sidebar" thingy?

I'm not saying I want censorship and want to limit freedom of speech - I don't. I'm just saying I can go to any forum on the internet and see the same recycled political/religious arguments over and over again. It just gets so redundant. I come here to read about Apple and Mac stuff. And it's also really annoying with the tension and other stuff spill over from the religious/political discussions into the Mac topics.

shadowfax
Apr 4, 2003, 04:51 PM
Hey, like my original post says, if you'd rather avoid such a forum, then avoid it!

by that logic, we could keep them in the community discussion and people would be fine staying away from them.

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
by that logic, we could keep them in the community discussion and people would be fine staying away from them.

If history has anything to say about it, that's not true.

eyelikeart
Apr 4, 2003, 04:55 PM

hmm...maybe u should just quit trying to start trouble? :rolleyes:

Sun Baked
Apr 4, 2003, 04:56 PM
It's not the people trying to avoid the threads, it's easy enough now, the problem is the people drawn to the threads that'll be the problem.

So is making another lightning rod for controversy and abuse a good idea?

The political forum has some problems, a biggie is that people are getting worked up enough about it to post the "Who's the bigges ******* on MR"-type threads. I think I've seen a few of those get shut down.

Why add another problematic topic, that may end up creating a few troll and/or a lot of flamewars?

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 05:03 PM
Why add another problematic topic, that may end up creating a few troll and/or a lot of flamewars?

Well, the problem is, religious threads already create flamewars (although they shouldn't). So were not really adding anything here to forums, just reorganizing so that anyone who would rather stay away, should stay away. And were also keeping some freedom on these boards. Just think, if arn got rid of the political discussion forum, all of that would spill back into community discussion where it is not wanted. Wouldn't you rather have the religious "dogma" out of Community Discussion and have it put in it's own place?

I like the idea of being able to search the forums and include or disclude certain forums. That would definitely help, but it's not a total solution.

Sun Baked
Apr 4, 2003, 05:13 PM
I wonder if the Poll and Religious forums ideas should be merged into a single new section...

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?postid=228479

The only problem is the name Wasteland is already taken. :(

eyelikeart
Apr 4, 2003, 05:14 PM
Wouldn't you rather have the religious "dogma" out of Community Discussion and have it put in it's own place?

I think it's enough that we have all of the other discussions filling up the forums here. Religion is just a bad idea...period.

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 05:15 PM
Perhaps we should have a poll on this issue. :) If enough people vote on it, then that would make it all the more worthwhile, wouldn't you say?

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
Religion is just a bad idea...period.

That's my point. And that's why I know you would rather have it put out of Community Discussion. :)

D0ct0rteeth
Apr 4, 2003, 05:18 PM
Perhaps we should have a poll on this issue. :) If enough people vote on it, then that would make it all the more worthwhile, wouldn't you say?

or you could join a bible group and just leave us out of it.

-Doc

arn
Apr 4, 2003, 05:18 PM
Wouldn't you rather have the religious "dogma" out of Community Discussion and have it put in it's own place?

Actually, I'd rather not have the religious "dogma" on this site at all.

To create a forum would encourage it.

(note: I don't want PC vs Mac debates on this site either... which is why there is no forum for that)

arn

eyelikeart
Apr 4, 2003, 05:19 PM
That's my point. And that's why I know you would rather have it put out of Community Discussion. :)

Good try to put words into my mouth...but I'm not buying. That's why it's not a good idea at all. There's not going to be any poll either, so u should quit now while u are ahead.

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by arn
Actually, I'd rather not have the religious "dogma" on this site at all.

And to think that you allow all that political dogma and other crap on the site. Pathetic.

scem0
Apr 4, 2003, 05:25 PM
I don't see why everyone is so anti-religion-thread. I like
religion threads, not flame-wars within the threads (although
they can be amusing ;)). You can really get to know a lot
more about a member of MR through a religion thread bc they
are talking about something that means a lot to them (usually :)).
I don't think they are a bad thing, but I don't think there should
be a seperate section just for them. Religion threads are too
repetitive to have their own section. It woul dbe a whole
section of the same thread, most probably. But a religion thread
in the community discussion every once in a while is a good thing.

:)

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 05:28 PM
But a religion thread
in the community discussion every once in a while is a good thing.

Oh yeah, but not without the threat of it getting closed or deleted. That's the problem--there's little tolerance for it. If it had it's own place then those who do not tolerate it can avoid it.

Sun Baked
Apr 4, 2003, 05:30 PM
Oh yeah, but not without the threat of it getting closed or deleted. That's the problem--there's little tolerance for it. If it had it's own place then those who do not tolerate it can avoid it. Funny thing is, this thread is heading rapidly towards getting closed or deleted itself.

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 05:32 PM
Funny thing is, this thread is heading rapidly towards getting closed or deleted itself.

Very funny, "moderator."

scem0
Apr 4, 2003, 05:34 PM
Oh yeah, but not without the threat of it getting closed or deleted. That's the problem--there's little tolerance for it. If it had it's own place then those who do not tolerate it can avoid it.

but you must realize that a lot of them deserve to be closed...

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 05:36 PM
but you must realize that a lot of them deserve to be closed...

And to think that you think religious threads are fun. Ha ha ha. I'm not falling for that one.

mischief
And to think that you allow all that political dogma and other crap on the site. Pathetic.

Look you freak of a closetcase biblebelt zealot, there is no room here for you to preach and evangelize. This is NOT a constitutionally protected publication... this is the equivalent of a continual Houseparty at Arn's house.

scem0
Very funny, "moderator."

Wow... comments like that are really going to help your cause. :rolleyes:

Didn't you say earlier you didn't like flamewars in threads?

scem0
Apr 4, 2003, 05:38 PM
And to think that you think religious threads are fun. Ha ha ha. I'm not falling for that one.

I was serious. Some religious threads are just plain insulting to
a group of people, or a person. Those deserve to be closed. The
ones that are civilized and have productive discussion are "fun".

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 05:39 PM
Besides, we're talking about freedom here--the freedom to post and the freedom to avoid. And that freedom is under fire. :(

Shrek
Apr 4, 2003, 05:40 PM
Wow... comments like that are really going to help your cause. :rolleyes:

Didn't you say earlier you didn't like flamewars in threads?

Ok, I don't know where that came from, but whatever.

eyelikeart
Apr 4, 2003, 05:42 PM
that's it...

this thread is over...