Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I installed Vista RC1 (build 5600) today on my 2.0 GHz iMac Core Duo. For some reason, "old" software like Firefox, iTunes, Yahoo! Messenger, etc, is big and blurry, like it's not running at the monitors native resolution when running the Aero interface. If I switch to classic theme, everything's fine. The windows get smaller and aren't blurry anymore.

Even in Aero, inclued applications, system dialogs, etc look fine. I installed the Radeon driver for Vista that ATI has on their website, but that didn't fix it. Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there anyway to fix it?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Well, I finally figured it out. I had somehow set DPI scaling to 120 DPI (don't remember doing it though) which messes with programs not designed to handle the higher DPI. You can set it such that programs that don't support the higher DPI setting are handled gracefully. The other option is just to go back to 96 DPI which I think looks better anyway. Everything is sharp, in focus and doesn't take up too much screen space now.

Just FYI for those that come along later...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.