PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces Aperture 1.5

MacRumors
Sep 25, 2006, 10:57 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple held their Photokina Media Event (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060914090209.shtml) today and announced Aperture 1.5.

Aperture 1.5 provides more iLife inegration, plug-in support for Internet services, and advanced library and editing features. An early summary of features are listed:

• More flexible use of storage. Photos on DVDs and other storage.
• Offline media can be "edited"
• iLife, iDVD, iWork, Keynote integration<
• Plug-in API offered. Plug Ins for Gettyimages, iStockPhoto, and Flickr available, with more coming
• New Loupe, Magnification no longer tied to specific settings/steps.
•*Loupe shows color information
• Improved Meta-data support, allowing meta data assigned to several images.
• XMP format is supported
• Better sharpening tool
• New full-screen comparison mode for several images at once
• iPod/iTunes integration. Transfer photos to your iPod

It is a free update to existing Aperture owners and should be available later this week.

Please keep discussion on topic. If you are disappointed with the media event for lack of other announcements, discuss it in the Media Event thread (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060925104838.shtml). Otherwise, this thread is for Aperture

mdntcallr
Sep 25, 2006, 10:59 AM
I'd like to say that this update really makes Aperture fully integrated with the rest of Apple products. Love it and will buy asap.

Well. was hoping to buy it pre-installed on a core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. but now... may buy a 24" imac or mac pro instead. tired of waiting for that model

adamfilip
Sep 25, 2006, 11:00 AM
the Aperture page on Apples website has been updated to reflect the new version

DVNIEL
Sep 25, 2006, 11:00 AM
Great day for photographers. Hope this update increases your productivity and capital.

donlphi
Sep 25, 2006, 11:01 AM
So... what are we supposed to run this monstrosity on? The G5 QUADS had a hard enough time running the first one. I can't imagine running this on an iMac or worse... a mac mini.

JOKE JOKE JOKE

atari1356
Sep 25, 2006, 11:03 AM
Why are people rating this news as negative? It seems like a decent update to a good program, and it's free for existing Aperture users. What were you expecting?

wtmcgee
Sep 25, 2006, 11:05 AM
Seems like a solid update to Aperture. I'm curious to see if there is a flickrexport-type feature included in this plug-in api mentioned. That's the one thing I miss from when I previously used iPhoto.

ipacmm
Sep 25, 2006, 11:05 AM
Glad to see an update but I wish they made it a little more professional over now becoming a consumer product....but a free upgrade is always nice.

Earendil
Sep 25, 2006, 11:07 AM
So how many people rated the news of Aperture being updated as negative just because you whiners didn't get what you wanted, i.e. a different product release? Huh?

Get over yourselves. Not every Apple event is about what you want. As a photographer this is great news, not "ok" news or even "bad" news. As an Apple users it's decent news because Apple is growing and developing.

[/rant]

I would have liked to see some performance gains from the software. Perhaps they are there, they just weren't mentioned.

~Tyler

relimw
Sep 25, 2006, 11:10 AM
So... what are we supposed to run this monstrosity on? The G5 QUADS had a hard enough time running the first one. I can't imagine running this on an iMac or worse... a mac mini.

JOKE JOKE JOKE
And to think, I can run Lightroom on a G4 mini...

bikertwin
Sep 25, 2006, 11:12 AM
Why are people rating this news as negative? It seems like a decent update to a good program, and it's free for existing Aperture users. What were you expecting?

Yeah, it leaves me scratching my head. Huh? How could any of these features--which people have been screaming for--be bad news?

Or is that the MacBookPro weenies whining that there was no update? Losers.

mdntcallr
Sep 25, 2006, 11:13 AM
yeah i dont get the negative votes.
the update is good news. people should separate the issues. i voted positive. even tough i would have loved to order a new macbook pro today.

840quadra
Sep 25, 2006, 11:13 AM
Waits for an iGary™ post regarding this!

Anyway, this is good news. I am seriously looking into purchasing this. I am now taking over 1gb of photos at each motocross event I am going to recently. That is allot considering i am also racing those events (taking pictures of other races duh! )

So far I am not impressed with the Adobe offering unveiled today. Unless I am doing something wrong, it doesn't seem to have full screen editing features ?

I need something more with more power than iPhoto, and would love to be able to batch edit, and Watermark (can Aperture even do this ? )

Mgkwho
Sep 25, 2006, 11:14 AM
Everyone needs to stop complaining about no laptop refreshes.

Photokina is an event for photographers. What does a portable, inferior to desktops, have to do with any of this? Cinema Displays do because they're used on the powerful DESKTOPS, mainly, that Aperture users may have. But they've been recently updated (within the past few months).

Yeah, it would have been nice to have other Apple updates. I'm not cutting my wrists because Apple didn't do another preview of OSX. This was a Photography-related event. That's it.

Regardless, there's no reason to have expected anything except an Aperture update. Get over yourselves.

-=|Mgkwho

arn
Sep 25, 2006, 11:15 AM

JOKE JOKE JOKE

According to the new features list for Aperture 1.5

"Run Aperture on any Intel-based Mac. Any desktop, including Mac mini, iMac, and Mac Pro. Or any notebook, including MacBook and MacBook Pro.
"

iAlan
held the event on a Monday nowing that Adobe was going to announce a new Beta of Lightroom -- and wanted to either steal their thunder or at least get there bit in

this doesn't mean there will not be any updates to the MBP on Tuesday.

BTW -- how many makers of Windows laptops have versions with the new chips? This is not a smartass comment - just wanting to know

And I think i might go out and get me-self Aperture

ariel
I need something more with more power than iPhoto, and would love to be able to batch edit, and Watermark (can Aperture even do this ? )

Yes Aperture can apply your watermark on export. You can do all sorts of bulk edits as well with the lift/stamp tool etc.

iGary
Sep 25, 2006, 11:17 AM

"Run Aperture on any Intel-based Mac. Any desktop, including Mac mini, iMac, and Mac Pro. Or any notebook, including MacBook and MacBook Pro.
"

That is good to know, because 1.1.2 runs like crap on a Quad with a 6800GT and 8GB of RAM. Unacceptable, really. I basically abandoned the workflow and went back to Photoshop. I can actually get work done that way.

Aperture IS great for cataloguing, though, so for that, I am grateful.

Glad 1.5 ia a free update, too.

this doesn't mean there will not be any updates to the MBP on Tuesday.

I totally agree - today was NOT the time and place, though. ;)

relimw
Actually neither Lightroom or Aperture can do watermarks (other than EXIF data.).

And according to ariel above, I'm wrong about Aperture :) Oh well.

nagromme
The reasons people HATE this new version so much:

1. It adds a lot of features and answers requests.

2. It's a free update.

3. This is a photography event, and people were caught off guard when Apple showed their photography product, despite the Aperture image right on the invitation.

4. Apple never releases hardware on Tuesdays, so there is no hope for any MacBook Pro updates tomorrow.

5. There will never be another chance for new MacBook Pros. We now know that the current models will be sold forever and ever, even after Apple goes out of business, which will happen by the end of the year.

:p

ariel

"

Just FYI, I'm running Aperture with 17k+ images on an iMac 24" 2.1ghz G5 - sometimes slow, but heck i'm doing it and drooling over the 1.5 update

ariel
Sep 25, 2006, 11:19 AM
Actually neither Lightroom or Aperture can do watermarks (other than EXIF data.).

Aperture can indeed do watermarks on export.

Object-X
Sep 25, 2006, 11:20 AM

Because they didn't announce MacBook Pro's with Core 2 Duo! Why else?

Eidorian

2. It's a free update.

3. This is a photography event, and people were caught off guard when Apple showed their photography product, despite the Aperture image right on the invitation.

4. Apple never releases hardware on Tuesdays, so there is no hope for any MacBook Pro updates tomorrow.

5. There will never be another chance for new MacBook Pros. We now know that the current models will be sold forever and ever, even after Apple goes out of business, which will happen by the end of the year.

:pWhy it's obvious why people hate this update so much. In fact I'm almost tempted to get Aperture to manage my photos (Academic discount, 3,000 images, 500 photos <3)

Now I just wish my earlier comments were still here. Tomorrow is Tuesday.

displaced
I suppose there could be a bit of news here for non-photographers.

As I understand it, Aperture uses OS X's built-in RAW image processing. If I remember rightly, the last Aperture update accompanied an OS X update. So it's possible 10.4.8 could be just around the corner (i.e. sometime this week?)

mouthster
Sep 25, 2006, 11:21 AM
Just FYI, I'm running Aperture with 17k+ images on an iMac 24" 2.1ghz G5 - sometimes slow, but heck i'm doing it and drooling over the 1.5 update

Ok..:confused:

relimw
Sep 25, 2006, 11:22 AM
Aperture can indeed do watermarks on export.
Hehe, you beat me to my editing....

pjo
Sep 25, 2006, 11:23 AM

You are kidding right? There's a whole guide on "next Tuesday" right here on MR.

robbieduncan
Sep 25, 2006, 11:24 AM
You are kidding right? There's a whole guide on "next Tuesday" right here on MR.

The whole post is meant to be a joke. All of those things are true. It's poking fun all the "no new MacBooks, this is a joke, you suck" crowd.

Eidorian
Sep 25, 2006, 11:24 AM
You are kidding right? There's a whole guide on "next Tuesday" right here on MR.I was worried I'd have to make one.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Next_Tuesday

timnosenzo
Sep 25, 2006, 11:25 AM
That is good to know, because 1.1.2 runs like crap on a Quad with a 6800GT and 8GB of RAM. Unacceptable, really.
I think something might be wrong with your install. I run Aperture on my MBP and it runs really well. It's definitely an easier workflow than my previous, which was iView --> ACR --> Photoshop.

Object-X
Sep 25, 2006, 11:29 AM
Adobe is almost getting as bad as Microsoft at delivering software. What's up with Darkroom? It's been in beta for over a year, meanwhile Apple has been steadily improving their product. Granted, some might feel that Aperture was so bad it should have been beta, but at least Apple took the chance to innovate in this space.

ipedro
Sep 25, 2006, 11:29 AM

As I understand it, Aperture uses OS X's built-in RAW image processing. If I remember rightly, the last Aperture update accompanied an OS X update. So it's possible 10.4.8 could be just around the corner (i.e. sometime this week?)

It's a Photography show .... It baffles my mind that people make far out unfounded predictions and then are disappointed and curse Apple when they don't come true.

The best example of that was the "One More Thing" event where the iPod Hi-Fi and Intel Mac Mini were shown. This event wasn't meant for the general public, so much that it wasn't broadcast to the public.

Now here's another example which Apple doesn't hype about to the public and "darn, all they do is show an update to a photography pro tool at a photography convention... Apple stock will surely fall with this news"

I for one am real happy with the offline feature. I've been using a workaround to save my giant library off my MacBook Pro. The iLife connectivity and Flickr plugin are also very welcome.

Now I'm just hoping that this version of Aperture is a little snappier because even on a fully loaded MBP, I get beachballs all the time.

tvguru
Sep 25, 2006, 11:34 AM

His entire comment was in a joking manner, but that part he meant. :p

revjay
Sep 25, 2006, 11:34 AM

...well...I've been using Aperture 1.1 with 765k+ images on a 24" 800mhz G3 and it really rocks!...

I'm assuming you slipped and meant to type 20"...right?

intlplby
Sep 25, 2006, 11:36 AM
yeah i hope it's teh snappy too... i get beach balls all the time on my fully loaded MBP too.....

it's gonna be nice that it ties in with the other iLife apps.

BanjoBanker
Sep 25, 2006, 11:37 AM

JOKE JOKE JOKE

I run Aperture on a 20" G5 iMac. I know people running on Dual Quad G5s that love it. You either don't run this software or have some serious issue w/ you Mac.

Eidorian
Sep 25, 2006, 11:37 AM
Isn't the next MBP just going to be a Gen 1 C2D?Rev. B Intel but Rev. A Core 2 Duo

Confusing isn't it?

novagamer
Sep 25, 2006, 11:38 AM
I love the new loupe, that's really handy how you can park it to the side and it follows your cursor without obstructing your larger view. Quite a nice upgrade I think, and for free!:)

Is this available in software update yet?

Mydriasis
Sep 25, 2006, 11:38 AM
I think it is a great update!!! Aperture will develop into an application that I just dont want to miss. I use both aperture and lightroom, both have their pros and cons. I can't wait to see where both apps stand in two years. I will go to the Photokina on wednesday and will let you know how aperture 1.5 feels.;)

robbieduncan
Sep 25, 2006, 11:39 AM
I love the new loupe, that's really handy how you can park it to the side and it follows your cursor without obstructing your larger view. Quite a nice upgrade I think, and for free!:)

Is this available in software update yet?

They said "This Week". That may well meen Friday. If it's going to be today the language is normally "Available today" or "Available immediately"

gauchogolfer
Sep 25, 2006, 11:39 AM
I'm pretty happy that my 15" Powerbook is officially supported to run Aperture now. They must have reduced the system requirements, which might bode well for those of you with faster machines in terms of program performance and speed.

Cheers

robbieduncan
Sep 25, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'm pretty happy that my 15" Powerbook is officially supported to run Aperture now. They must have reduced the system requirements, which might bode well for those of you with faster machines in terms of program performance and speed.

Cheers

Or some image alterations will not be rendered in real-time on slower hardware, rather like Final Cut Pro.

tvguru
Sep 25, 2006, 11:41 AM
Rev. B Intel but Rev. A Core 2 Duo

Confusing isn't it?

Potato, Potahto. :D

zoetropeuk
Sep 25, 2006, 11:42 AM
That is good to know, because 1.1.2 runs like crap on a Quad with a 6800GT and 8GB of RAM. Unacceptable, really. I basically abandoned the workflow and went back to Photoshop. I can actually get work done that way.

Damn then there must be something wrong with you Quad again Gary. I regularly use 1.1.2 on my 1.67 powerbook and I find it perfectly acceptable. And on my G5/X800XT it's super fast.

I think the issue with people finding it slow is there lack of understand of what Aperture is actually doing. And also not really knowing how to use Aperture to it's full potential.

Everybody wants everything to be instant but that will never happen.

I for one find the workflow of cataloguing, correcting and exporting in Aperture far faster and superior then any comparable app.

ariel
Sep 25, 2006, 11:46 AM
...well...I've been using Aperture 1.1 with 765k+ images on a 24" 800mhz G3 and it really rocks!...

I'm assuming you slipped and meant to type 20"...right?

Geez... musta been having a wet dream when i typed that LOL

Yes it is 20" and i use every bit of it heehee

bselack
Sep 25, 2006, 11:53 AM
Look at the new requirements page...

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/

Apple must have tweaked it VERY much. Will make it available to more people based on the new hardware and expanded video support.

Even the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra and Intel Mac Mini.

EagerDragon
Sep 25, 2006, 11:59 AM

Sorry but last I checked, the 24" iMac does not use a G5.

840quadra
Sep 25, 2006, 12:02 PM

Apple must have tweaked it VERY much. Will make it available to more people based on the new hardware and expanded video support.

Great eye bselack!

I can now run Aperture on my G5 with the stock graphics card! Granted I am upgrading it at the end of the year, however now I am not forced to do so!

Thanks for the pointer! I am definitely going to get aperture now. Lightroom just doesn't have the feel I like.

CalfCanuck
Sep 25, 2006, 12:05 PM
I hope that we'll all be pleased with the improved DB code for searching, keywords, etc. It always seemed to me that THIS was the major failure of Aperture. It's RAW onscreen conversions were never bad in terms of speed, given the amount of processing that was going on. But the old DB searchs of 15 seconds (with NO conversions!) always implied poorly written code/bad code design.

With 1.5 and the expanding list of supported computers, it appears that the Aperture team finally cleaned up this mess. Hopefully the result will be a pleasant surprise for all.

Here's my earlier post where I talked more about keyword imprivements, esp the new "no" keyword option which was MY major gripe for such a minor issue:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2878430#post2878430

Teddy's
Sep 25, 2006, 12:08 PM
who's rating this as negative???
All those who wanted MBPs I guess.
or is something like... Apple delivers, then negative. Apple doesn't, then negative.
Or redmond...
Here is what I think of your negative opinions: Meh!

sunfast
Sep 25, 2006, 12:43 PM

2. It's a free update.

This is a FANTASTIC post.

Performa
Sep 25, 2006, 12:51 PM
Because they didn't announce MacBook Pro's with Core 2 Duo! Why else?

I guess if they announced in the news that a cure had been found for cancer, these people would say, "So! Where is my new MacBook Pro?"

You "One-Way, ______er ________ers."

macenforcer
Sep 25, 2006, 01:00 PM
LAME! Apple you suck.

p0intblank
Sep 25, 2006, 01:16 PM
LAME! Apple you suck.

Well don't you sound like an intelligent one! Seriously, get out of this thread. You don't even know what you are saying.

This was a photography event, not Macworld or WWDC. In other words if it doesn't apply to your interest, then don't say anything at all.

I hate ignorance.

steve_hill4
Sep 25, 2006, 01:17 PM
Damn then there must be something wrong with you Quad again Gary. I regularly use 1.1.2 on my 1.67 powerbook and I find it perfectly acceptable. And on my G5/X800XT it's super fast.

I think the issue with people finding it slow is there lack of understand of what Aperture is actually doing. And also not really knowing how to use Aperture to it's full potential.

I for one find the workflow of cataloguing, correcting and exporting in Aperture far faster and superior then any comparable app.
I have to say that I find Aperture acceptable on the MBP, but I guess if you are someone like iGary who uses this kind of software a lot, you notice it more and more.

Hopefully the update will make a big difference in performance, especially when they now allow you to run it, whatever the (current) hardware you buy at the same time.

Chrispy
I’m loving the amout of sarcasm in this thread… I was afraid it would not be picked up. This is a good update to the software and free is even better.

I do, however, think people are just tired of waiting for new macbook pros. Apple really does need to get on that update if they are going to justify charging $1999+ for the notebook.

steve_hill4
I guess if they announced in the news that a cure had been found for cancer, these people would say, "So! Where is my new MacBook Pro?"

You "One-Way, ______er ________ers."
PowerMacers?

Why insult PowerMac users? :D

MacUser4_20
Sep 25, 2006, 01:26 PM
Great update, Great Feature-set, Apple IS listening, Thank you! Cannot wait to update 1.1.2 on my Mac! Thank you, thank you, thank you, APPLE!

ksteele
Sep 25, 2006, 01:27 PM
Breaking News: First Look at Aperture 1.5

http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/24732.html?cprose=daily

by Ben Long - coAuthor Aperture Pro Training

mdntcallr
Sep 25, 2006, 01:27 PM
can anyone link to the page that says tuesday is possibly macbook pro day?

i can't find it. And no i dont look as good aperture news as a bad thing, i am buying it.

iMeowbot
Sep 25, 2006, 01:41 PM
Adobe is almost getting as bad as Microsoft at delivering software. What's up with Darkroom? It's been in beta for over a year, meanwhile Apple has been steadily improving their product.
That's a very public beta which has been steadily improved over that time (the last update was yesterday). Unlike Apple, Adobe haven't charged for the beta experience. Amusingly, some of the top new Apple "innovations" are clones of Lightroom features.

cadillaccactus
Sep 25, 2006, 01:42 PM
I'm running Aperture with 17k+ images on an iMac 24" 2.1ghz G5

a 24" iMac G5, eh? is this a homebrew?

Sep 25, 2006, 01:47 PM
That's a very public beta which has been steadily improved over that time (the last update was yesterday). Unlike Apple, Adobe haven't charged for the beta experience. Amusingly, some of the top new Apple "innovations" are clones of Lightroom features.

Sorry, but Apple released Aperture BEFORE Adobe did the same with its app...so it's easier to have a clone of Apple's app, not the opposite...:rolleyes:

rotlex
Sep 25, 2006, 01:50 PM
Wow! This is VERY cool news! Pretty much everything they have listed as an update, are things I was looking for.....and FREE!!!!! :)

iMeowbot
Sep 25, 2006, 01:52 PM
Sorry, but Apple released Aperture BEFORE Adobe did the same with its app...so it's easier to have a clone of Apple's app, not the opposite...:rolleyes:

Right, a product in development since 2002 (http://photoshopnews.com/2006/01/09/the-shadowlandlightroom-development-story/) was a copy of a product released in 2005 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Object-X
Sep 25, 2006, 01:54 PM

Yes, a very good point. And it makes me wonder if Adobe will ever charge for it. In fact, now they have rebranded it Adobe "Photoshop" Darkroom, it leads me to believe it will be included as part of Photoshop and not as a seperate product. This might also be why they haven't released it yet, since the next version of Photoshop isn't finished. This strategy would undercut Apple since most photography professionals undoubtedly already own Photoshop and will upgrade.

timnosenzo
Sep 25, 2006, 01:58 PM
Breaking News: First Look at Aperture 1.5

http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/24732.html?cprose=daily

by Ben Long - coAuthor Aperture Pro Training
Thanks for the link! After reading this, I'm VERY excited about upgrading now! The enhancements to the library are very welcome for me. It might even tempt me to import my entire photo library... :o

timnosenzo
Sep 25, 2006, 02:04 PM
Yes, a very good point. And it makes me wonder if Adobe will ever charge for it. In fact, now they have rebranded it Adobe "Photoshop" Darkroom, it leads me to believe it will be included as part of Photoshop and not as a seperate product. This might also be why they haven't released it yet, since the next version of Photoshop isn't finished. This strategy would undercut Apple since most photography professionals undoubtedly already own Photoshop and will upgrade.
Tough to say until its released. Taking the Adobe Bridge app by example--they give it to you with Photoshop, but I would still much rather go out and buy iView Media Pro, because Bridge sucks bad. So while you're probably right that there are some people willing to use a product because its free (and piggy-backed to a product you're going to buy anyway), there are still a lot of people out there that are willing to shell out a little extra dough for something that works better for them.

swingerofbirch
Sep 25, 2006, 02:19 PM
I was hoping for at least version 1.6.

1.5 is a little too little, a little too late.

donlphi
Sep 25, 2006, 02:27 PM

"

Technically my POWERMAC G4 can run iMovie, Keynote, and other mac software. RUNNING and FUNCTIONING (at a reasonable speed) are two totally different things. iPhoto takes a day to get going. I can't imagine aperture.

Anyway... I don't want to ruin anybody's happy day, but the reality is, if you don't have the latest and greatest Apple Machine, the current software runs pretty slow.

Go to the Apple store (yes, this means some of you will have to leave your apartment) and try running this software on a mac mini. Don't get depressed when it takes your entire lunch break to start the software. Forget about moving stacks of photos around and editing. As I mentioned... I had problems with the G5 QUAD and the original aperture at my Apple Store in Seattle. THEN AGAIN... they haven't updated half the things in the store. SLOPPY SLOPPY SLOPPY.

Just a thought.

relimw
Sep 25, 2006, 02:34 PM

And it still won't run on my G4 mini :p Well, at least more people will be able to make use of :) And since you didn't ask, yes I use my mini as just a quick check system, which works fine with Lightroom. I suppose since I own Aperture, and this is a free update, I'll try it on my Mac Pro :)

amols
Sep 25, 2006, 02:36 PM
Really a great update for a great product. And now even Mac Mini Solo has a supported configuration. I can't believe Apple has improved so many things for no update price. I also can't believe so many negative ratings. Those waiting for new MBPs, check out next MS event or E3 or Oscars...you never know :D .

I love my MBP more than ever now :D :D

Whiteapple
Sep 25, 2006, 02:39 PM
Technically my POWERMAC G4 can run iMovie, Keynote, and other mac software. RUNNING and FUNCTIONING (at a reasonable speed) are two totally different things. iPhoto takes a day to get going. I can't imagine aperture.

Anyway... I don't want to ruin anybody's happy day, but the reality is, if you don't have the latest and greatest Apple Machine, the current software runs pretty slow.

Go to the Apple store (yes, this means some of you will have to leave your apartment) and try running this software on a mac mini. Don't get depressed when it takes your entire lunch break to start the software. Forget about moving stacks of photos around and editing. As I mentioned... I had problems with the G5 QUAD and the original aperture at my Apple Store in Seattle. THEN AGAIN... they haven't updated half the things in the store. SLOPPY SLOPPY SLOPPY.

Just a thought.

I would ALSO have a lot of trouble with a G4 Quad.

Nevetheless, you can't say anything without actual thoughts, and not RANDOM ones. The G5 Quad you were using must have been misused by kids mucking around with it, not responsible users who take care of their machine.

I'm sure Aperture will run great on my Intel 1,66 Mini, with 2GB RAM

aftk2
Sep 25, 2006, 03:14 PM

Nevetheless, you can't say anything without actual thoughts, and not RANDOM ones. The G5 Quad you were using must have been misused by kids mucking around with it, not responsible users who take care of their machine.

Heh, or insufficient RAM. I believe the display machines at the apple stores have gotten better about this, but for the longest time, they were hamstrung with the stock RAM that came with Apple machines (e.g.: the leading-edge Quad G5s living with the semi-anemic video card and - much worse - 512 megs of RAM.)

bousozoku
Sep 25, 2006, 03:31 PM

Cheers

I don't see any changes. Even in beta, they supported 1.25 GHz PowerBooks and up. How well they support them is always the question.

ksteele
Sep 25, 2006, 03:37 PM
Aperture 1.1.2 runs just fine on my 2 year old 17" Powerbook G4 (1.5Ghz / 1.5GB ram).
I have heard that the graphics hardware on this laptop helps a lot.

It is not as fast doing edits as my my former PhotoMechanic/Bridge/ACR/iView workflow but good enough and has the advantages of a faster workflow when all is said and done.

I've ported 5500 of my D2X raw images into the library. I use a second 23" Cinema Display.

zeppiecr
Sep 25, 2006, 03:39 PM
Prob a dumb question but is my mac fast enough to run aperture?

20 inch imac
2 gb ram
intel 2.0

Sep 25, 2006, 03:43 PM
Right, a product in development since 2002 (http://photoshopnews.com/2006/01/09/the-shadowlandlightroom-development-story/) was a copy of a product released in 2005 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, it's funny that you make a comparison between the "development" of one and the "release" of another...as if Apple started Aperture some days ago as well...:rolleyes:

bikertwin
Sep 25, 2006, 03:45 PM

Do you really believe Lightroom has been in active development since 2002? I'm thinking it was a proof of concept in 2002.

I mean, if it's really been in development since 2002, why isn't it finished yet? Why is it so far behind Aperture?

That claim by Adobe is just ludicrous.

bikertwin
Sep 25, 2006, 03:47 PM

No, Adobe is claiming Lightroom will be released in late 2006, early 2007, a good 3 months before PS CS3.

I think with this rebranding, they're positioning Lightroom between PS Elements and PS CS, hence PS Lightroom.

bikertwin
Sep 25, 2006, 03:51 PM

Go to the Apple store (yes, this means some of you will have to leave your apartment) and try running this software on a mac mini. Don't get depressed when it takes your entire lunch break to start the software. Forget about moving stacks of photos around and editing. As I mentioned... I had problems with the G5 QUAD and the original aperture at my Apple Store in Seattle.

Just a thought.

I wouldn't get too excited about Aperture running on 'lighter' hardware such as MacBooks or Mac minis. I think the idea is that, rather than doing hardcore raw file processing on these lightweight hardware products, you'd just have your JPEG-preview-only Aperture library on these machines. So the really speedy functionality on this lightweight hardware would be limited to organizing, sorting, searching, slideshows, etc. of pre-generated JPEG previews.

I doubt we'll be doing hardcore bulk raw processing on a Mac mini, even with Aperture 1.5. But I wouldn't mind if we could.

hyperpasta
Sep 25, 2006, 03:54 PM

20 inch imac
2 gb ram
intel 2.0

Answer: Yes

bikertwin
Sep 25, 2006, 03:57 PM
I still have some questions about the new features:

OK, we can reference files archived to DVD+R discs; but will Aperture itself generate those archived discs?
We can have presets for exposure and white balance; but is it limited to those two panels?
We can run Aperture with just JPEG previews on Mac minis and MacBooks; but will Aperture sync those libraries automatically?
Aperture can export XMP: but is it truly limited to IPTC data rather than exposure settings, etc.?

SimonTheSoundMa
Sep 25, 2006, 04:03 PM

It still is pretty poor with compatibility when it comes to RAW. For example, it still can't read white balance from the meta data on RAW files off Canon cameras. Great!

Aperture's development also is going slow. Apple pulling out the software?

Perhaps all the developers are spending too much time on Leopard and Logic 8 at the moment.

bikertwin
Sep 25, 2006, 04:22 PM
Huh? 1.5 is a huge update. It's interesting that most of the new features in the version 1.x's of Aperture deal with core functionality (raw conversion in 1.1, and file location with 1.5). This is core stuff that Aperture has to have nailed down before it does fancier stuff like layered editing.

Apple is absolutely going in the right direction with this. And at a very rapid pace. It's not even a year old!

Perhaps all the developers are spending too much time on Leopard and Logic 8 at the moment.
Uh, I doubt the Aperture development team has anything to do with Leopard or Logic at all. Not sure what hat you pulled that out of. :confused:

timnosenzo
Sep 25, 2006, 04:24 PM
It still is pretty poor with compatibility when it comes to RAW. For example, it still can't read white balance from the meta data on RAW files off Canon cameras. Great!
Um, really? I use a Canon camera and Aperture seems to preserve the camera WB setting fine...

They've updated it twice, and I'm pretty sure its only been out a year. Not too shabby....

Perhaps you don't have all the facts?

gauchogolfer
Sep 25, 2006, 04:25 PM
I don't see any changes. Even in beta, they supported 1.25 GHz PowerBooks and up. How well they support them is always the question.

I guess I mean support without any hacks necessary.

bousozoku
Sep 25, 2006, 04:28 PM
I guess I mean support without any hacks necessary.

As long as you had enough RAM, the right processor, and the right version of Mac OS X, it was supported. It hasn't changed in the low level requirements. :)

My machine didn't have enough RAM, so it was immediately rejected. However, they were doing me a favour because the dual and dual core G5s still had performance issues with it.

milo
Sep 25, 2006, 04:36 PM

You're kidding, right? Besides the fact that all are different teams, Logic has had FAR less development than Aperture as well as most other apple apps (with the obvious exception of Soundtrack Pro, which hasn't had a single improvement in over a year, and has always run like crap). I'd kill to see Logic development moving at the speed of Aperture.

JoeG4
Sep 25, 2006, 05:03 PM
*yawn* This is like as if MS made a press event only to announce a .1 update to IE. :confused:

WTF is so damn important about a .5 update of Aperture? If it's anything like iPhoto that's one program I wouldn't be spending $500 or whataever on. :D

Abstract
Sep 25, 2006, 05:09 PM

Do you realize that Adobe released their product as a beta only a little while after Aperture was released? Do you honestly think Adobe worked on Lightroom for like a few months before making it beta? It'd be impossible. They had the same idea at around the same time, but Adobe started development and never finished it. They just didn't put much into it. However, once Aperture was released, they started things up with Lightroom again and are now taking it seriously.

And in many ways, Adobe Lightroom has more features than Aperture, particularly (useful) editing tools so that you don't always have to go into Photoshop. The DEVELOP mode in Lightroom is rather brilliant.

And they may have lowered the requirements of Aperture, but that doesn't mean it'll run faster than before. Aperture could be hacked to work on MacBooks before, for example. Apple may have just did it themselves and took the minimum resolution requirements out. So really, while it may now work on lesser systems, it may not run "well" at all. ;)

Heh, or insufficient RAM.

No. A number of people have complained about the speed of Aperture, even on Dual G5s and yes, even Quad G5s. Even Apple wasn't all that happy with the app before, hence the overhaul of the Aperture team.

I'll take another look at Aperture, but for now I'm using Lightroom. :)

Earendil
Sep 25, 2006, 05:14 PM
*yawn* This is like as if MS made a press event only to announce a .1 update to IE. :confused:

WTF is so damn important about a .5 update of Aperture? If it's anything like iPhoto that's one program I wouldn't be spending $500 or whataever on. :D

All except for a few itsy bitsy tiny details.

A: Apple didn't create the event, It is a photography event put on by someone else.
B: Do we know that all they did was get on stage and say "hey, we updated, this is what it does new! bye!". I'm betting more on the fact that they showed of Aperature to a bunch of Photographers at a Photography event and mentioned that they just updated it with all this new stuff. Announcing the fact that you update software if you're trying to sell/promote a product, is a good idea.
C: If you didn't pay the money to go to this event, and you aren't a professional Photographer, and if you think it's anything like iPhoto, than this product is NOT FOR YOU. Apple doesn't make products that everyone and their dog will use. They do happen to make a few that only a select group of professionals will use :\

This is like people whining about Apple getting up on stage and talking about updates to xCode at WWDC, it's a freaking developers conference!

ericschmerick
Sep 25, 2006, 06:12 PM

20 inch imac
2 gb ram
intel 2.0

It will run great. My MBP is almost the same spec, runs wonderfully.

Eric
http://www.essersinchina.com/

ericschmerick
Sep 25, 2006, 06:17 PM

Huh? Reads white balance fine from my 20d and 10d raw files.

I'm surprised at how responsive Apple has been with updates to Aperture. When the product first came out, there was huge scrutiny of the RAW conversion quality and long list of other critical image processing things (like RGB value reporting) - within a very short time, they updated it and solved the vast majority of those issues. The other big knock was file handling - now they've fixed that. The file handling in particular had to be a pretty significant rework of the code. Furthermore, they've updated the app to universal. I'd say that's a pretty blazing pace of development.

Eric

iGary
Sep 25, 2006, 06:27 PM
I have an experiment for those that say "It runs fine on my <insert computer here>."

Open up (in full screen mode) a landscape oriented RAW image and:

1. Use the straightening tool.

2. Try to rotate it 180.

3. Use the patch tool.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks!

phytonix
Sep 25, 2006, 06:30 PM
I think lightroom is even slower?
esp when you do adjustment to photos like hue etc.
on my iMac, Aperture can render instantly, while lightroom obviously has pause. I know that's because aperture use graphic card, but why can't lightroom?

donlphi
Sep 25, 2006, 06:30 PM

NOTICE THE OPERATIVE WORDS "I'm SURE" meaning... you don't know for sure. I'm telling you... I've tried it. I've asked YOU to try it. You will not be pleased with the results, just as I was not.

Sure kids may have been "mucking around" with the machine, but if a couple of kids messing with a computer is going to slow down the system, I assure you there will be problems in the future. If it's that slow on the current machine, what happens when 2.0 comes out? Do I choose not to upgrade or do I go through the whole upgrading of machines and software again?

As for another "RANDOM" thought... what does that mean, "responsible users who take care of their machine"? Unless you are tossing the machine around like a nerf soccer ball, spilling a can of Coke (not to be confused with Coke II) on it, jamming a 5 1/4" floppy in to the CD slot, or stuffing the USB ports with raisins, these things are pretty tough to break.

I love the software Apple makes. It looks great. The user interface is always top notch. It all makes sense. It just doesn't run very fast on their machines, at least not nearly as fast as the demos always show when Steve Jobs is giving us a sneak peek while dancing on stage in his turtle neck. It would be nice to have multiple versions of these apps so we could have the basic functions that actually perform at a speed that doesn't make the spinning rainbow come on after every click.

Jo-Kun
Sep 25, 2006, 06:31 PM
hmm I might consider to give it a try afterall...

when it came out my G5 was rejected (only because of the stock graphics card) there was a testing app to see if you could run it before you buy the actual program... and since a new card would set me back some extra € and aperture was at that time at the high price... I passed... now it supports my system, so maybe I'll ge it (first I'll do a testrun at my local shop where I buy my camera's... they told me not to buy V1... and said the latest was very much improved, and now there is another new version ;-))

iGary
Sep 25, 2006, 06:31 PM
I think lightroom is even slower?
esp when you do adjustment to photos like hue etc.
on my iMac, Aperture can render instantly, while lightroom obviously has pause. I know that's because aperture use graphic card, but why can't lightroom?

Why would Apple logically develop a piece of software that uses the graphics card when I have four processors - many others have two - begging to be worked. I guess I never understood the logic of using Core Image to power this thing.

I love the software Apple makes. It looks great. The user interface is always top notch. It all makes sense. It just doesn't run very fast on their machines, at least not nearly as fast as the demos always show when Steve Jobs is giving us a sneak peek while dancing on stage in his turtle neck. It would be nice to have multiple versions of these apps so we could have the basic functions that actually perform at a speed that doesn't make the spinning rainbow come on after every click.

Amen.

Earendil
Sep 25, 2006, 06:36 PM
Why would Apple logically develop a piece of software that uses the graphics card when I have four processors - many others have two - begging to be worked. I guess I never understood the logic of using Core Image to power this thing.

In a perfect world it would figure out your specs and use what it can. However I'm betting that using a graphics card to do a lot of the heavy lifting enables it to run on far more computers than going proc only. Many of us don't have duel or quad cores, and our procs are also doing other things. Heaven forbid I use other apps at the same time as Apature to. However my graphics card is decent, and sits idle even when other apps are open.

Like I said, perfect world you'd have your cake and eat it too, however for the time being, I'm not so sure the path they chose was all that bad. I'm quite open for discussion on this though, as I'm no expert :)

Arip
Sep 25, 2006, 06:37 PM
I have an experiment for those that say "It runs fine on my <insert computer here>."

2. Try to rotate it 180.

3. Use the patch tool.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks!

nothing strange happend

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/9180/picture2jz1.th.png (http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2jz1.png)

iGary
Sep 25, 2006, 06:39 PM
nothing strange happend

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/9180/picture2jz1.th.png (http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2jz1.png)

Macbook Pro 2.0 - 2 GB Ram

That's prolly why.

I think the UB version is running much better on Intel.

I tried it out on a MBP and a Mac Pro and a new Imac and had much better performance that with my own machine.

iGary
Sep 25, 2006, 06:40 PM
In a perfect world it would figure out your specs and use what it can. However I'm betting that using a graphics card to do a lot of the heavy lifting enables it to run on far more computers than going proc only. Many of us don't have duel or quad cores, and our procs are also doing other things. Heaven forbid I use other apps at the same time as Apature to. However my graphics card is decent, and sits idle even when other apps are open.

Like I said, perfect world you'd have your cake and eat it too, however for the time being, I'm not so sure the path they chose was all that bad. I'm quite open for discussion on this though, as I'm no expert :)

Well I guess what I am saying is that the graphics card really doesn't have the muscle that, say, four processor cores do. You should see what my activity monitor does when I crush some havy stuff - it might use two cores if I am lucky.

Westside guy
Sep 25, 2006, 06:41 PM

Some Mac people are like cat owners - the cat (Apple) is never at fault. :D

Aperture can be very slow, especially on older hardware. I run it on a 1.25GHz Powerbook G4 with 1.5 gigs of RAM. The time required for most actions is acceptable, but none of them are speedy - Lightroom is noticably faster. One action that basically is unusable on my computer - rotating by an arbitrary angle.

I am quite sure I know pretty much exactly what Aperture is doing.

Now when someone reports that the program is dog-slow on a dual-G5, then I'd agree there is something else going on there. But there is a decent range of officially-supported hardware that is, in truth, somewhat underpowered for Aperture. Apple obviously made some decisions regarding the hardware based more on marketing than on the technical specs.

That all said, I am looking forward to trying out 1.5 on my Powerbook! (as soon as I get it back from Apple for yet another in-warranty white-spot LCD replacement... got it in to them 5 days before "our" 3rd anniversary) I think this was a pretty good announcement, and gotta wonder about the unrealistic expectations some people have (WHAT? No 5GHz MacBook Pro with 20" monitor?).

The Mad Kiwi
Sep 25, 2006, 06:45 PM
The thing I truely love about Apple, is they look after their customers with regular updates to their software with useful features added. I can't think of another company that will add so many new features without charging users for it.

And with some luck it might be faster as well, something that Apple are great at delivering as well, better and faster.

Earendil
Well I guess what I am saying is that the graphics card really doesn't have the muscle that, say, four processor cores do. You should see what my activity monitor does when I crush some havy stuff - it might use two cores if I am lucky.

And what I'm saying is that once you step down from a $4000 machine you see a much larger power ratio in the graphics card/processor image crunching.
Take my set up, I'm betting that using my graphics card benafits me greatly.

In your case though it would be awesome to hand more of that off to the extra procs.

iGary

I'm starting to think there is, because dual 2.0 G5's are crunching panos about 25% quicker than mine, and I have all the proper software in, according to Kevin. I may take it in soon and show "The Genius" the Aperture issues.

As for catologing and exporting - no complaints here. Some corrections do take a bit of time for me. Not sure why - but I have talked to other Quad owners that have similar issues.

I usually take upwards of 1000 images in an aerial shoot - there's nothing better on the market to sort and catalogue them. I get a bit frustrated at post processing, though.

EDIT - And by the way - it is LIGHTNING fast in regular screen mode. My issues are in full screen mode.

jettredmont
Sep 25, 2006, 07:40 PM
All except for a few itsy bitsy tiny details.

A: Apple didn't create the event, It is a photography event put on by someone else.

Not to mention, it is a photography event that happens once every two years, which means this is Aperture's first time available during Photokina!

jettredmont
Sep 25, 2006, 08:23 PM

2. Try to rotate it 180.

I have an experiment for those that say "My car runs fine on Chevron gas."

1. Use parking break.

2. Try accellerating to freeway speeds.

Report back when done.

Seriously, you realize that the "straightening tool" is not a free-form rotation tool, right? It's optimized for 1-10 degree straightenings, not flipping the picture around.

That having been said, yes, straightening is maddeningly slow on G5s (also on iPhoto ... I have dual 2.0 G5s, and fullscreen or even windowed straightening stutters all over the place). They've got an algorithm problem there (or, more likely, an algorithm which doesn't check for a "break" often enough, which makes it unresponsive and seem really slow). But, the test for that isn't doing a 180-degree rotation on an image; the test is trying to get a correct 1.25 degree rotation when the tools seem to be fighting with you.

The key is this: they could fix the tool to work perfectly for straightening, and still flipping the image around 180 degrees would be slow as molasses to render. Which is just fine, because the 90-degree rotate works fast as can be.

slabbius
Sep 25, 2006, 09:28 PM
OMFG OMFG! Apple didn't just do Macbook/Pro silent update to Merom!

840quadra
Sep 25, 2006, 09:37 PM
That having been said, yes, straightening is maddeningly slow on G5s (also on iPhoto ... I have dual 2.0 G5s, and fullscreen or even windowed straightening stutters all over the place). They've got an algorithm problem there (or, more likely, an algorithm which doesn't check for a "break" often enough, which makes it unresponsive and seem really slow).

It is?

I have a Dual 2.0 G5 and it seems quite fluid and smooth.

I also only have a GeForce 5200 ! :confused:

::EDIT::
I am talking about iPhoto as I do not yet have Aperture .

iGary
Sep 25, 2006, 09:44 PM
I have an experiment for those that say "My car runs fine on Chevron gas."

1. Use parking break.

2. Try accellerating to freeway speeds.

Report back when done.

Seriously, you realize that the "straightening tool" is not a free-form rotation tool, right? It's optimized for 1-10 degree straightenings, not flipping the picture around.

That having been said, yes, straightening is maddeningly slow on G5s (also on iPhoto ... I have dual 2.0 G5s, and fullscreen or even windowed straightening stutters all over the place). They've got an algorithm problem there (or, more likely, an algorithm which doesn't check for a "break" often enough, which makes it unresponsive and seem really slow). But, the test for that isn't doing a 180-degree rotation on an image; the test is trying to get a correct 1.25 degree rotation when the tools seem to be fighting with you.

The key is this: they could fix the tool to work perfectly for straightening, and still flipping the image around 180 degrees would be slow as molasses to render. Which is just fine, because the 90-degree rotate works fast as can be.

I'd answer this, but you know, I'm tired of fighting sarcasm.

iMeowbot
Sep 25, 2006, 09:57 PM
Apple did the same thing when they got their hands on the G4s, suddenly everything was a vector problem even if it wasn't. They will get over it a couple years down the road when they notice that even the entry level boxes are going to have dozens of CPU cores soon.

Tommyg117
Sep 25, 2006, 10:12 PM
Excellent news, good to see aperture more integrated into the iLife.

iMeowbot
Sep 25, 2006, 10:23 PM
And in many ways, Adobe Lightroom has more features than Aperture, particularly (useful) editing tools so that you don't always have to go into Photoshop. The DEVELOP mode in Lightroom is rather brilliant.
They really are doing nice things with the customer feedback. The Library portion, if it picks up enough features to truly replace Bridge (the revised name leaves room for optimism), would make this this scary good.

Abstract
Sep 25, 2006, 10:29 PM
While I like Aperture's ability to "catalogue" better than Lightroom, I wouldn't choose Aperture over Lightroom right now just because it's better at importing from my camera and "cataloguing" --- not unless I take 500-1000 photos at a time. Lightroom can sort, although I don't like the UI as much. I like Lightroom right now because while not as fantastic as Aperture at sorting, etc, it's much much better at pp. I have literally SAVED a fantastic RAW photo of my girlfriend in tricky lighting with just the editing tools in Lightroom, and I surely could not do that with Aperture.

Lightroom is also faster.

So Aperture has fantastic sorting and cataloguing for those who take >300 photos, but rather poor at post-production (not much editing, and quite slow at what it CAN do).

Lightroom is only "great" at sorting, but fantastic at editing. It's also faster on the same hardware. For the consumer-level, amateur enthusiast level photographer like myself, I think Lightroom is better. For people who will be more productive with better sorting, Aperture has more potential.

It is?

I have a Dual 2.0 G5 and it seems quite fluid and smooth.

I also only have a GeForce 5200 ! :confused:

::EDIT::
I am talking about iPhoto as I do not yet have Aperture .
In full screen mode?

Mine is choppy. It's like "big steps" of change rather than anything I'd consider smooth. Definitely not precise enough, and not fast enough.

DarkAdept
Sep 25, 2006, 10:40 PM

... because CoreImage allows problems to be described in a way that scales not only across GPU pixel pipeliness, but also across CPUs? This is good bleeding-edge design that will take some time to tweak and tune, but sets the stage for amazing gains over time.

Apple has done their homework on this one - every future release of OS X will do a better job of balancing resources to make Aperture scream.

Some_Big_Spoon
Sep 26, 2006, 01:34 AM
ummmm... may have been said, it's grea that it runs like a normal app now, but hwo do I get it to load from my 1.0 disk to my 12" pb and Macbook? Do I have to shell out again? Where's the love?

robbieduncan
Sep 26, 2006, 02:46 AM

I think that's because you don't understand how CoreImage is meant to work (I'm not saying how it does work for you). When you write an ImageUnit to run in CoreImage you are not targeting a particular processor at all (be that CPU, GPU or some future co-processor). You write your code in a special language and it gets compiled into a kind of 50% compiled code. CoreImage will then run this on the GPU or any of the available CPUs using whichever it thinks will be fastest at that time.

You can read about it here (http://developer.apple.com/macosx/coreimage.html), see Parallel Execution around half way down.

generik
Sep 26, 2006, 03:33 AM
OMFG OMFG! Apple didn't just do Macbook/Pro silent update to Merom!

Whinge again tomorrow, when it is Tuesday!

mk_in_mke
Sep 26, 2006, 07:06 AM
I am the owner of a Fuji S3 Pro and I bought Aperture 1 about a year ago ($499). And there was no support for Fujifilm Raw files. I returned the item to Apple.

I checked again today and the Fuji S3 Pro file format is now listed in the Camera Supported page Apple posted for Aperture 1.5 (http://www.apple.com/aperture/raw/cameras.html)

The web page says OPTIMIZED Support. see below

Aperture 1.5 supports the RAW formats from the following digital cameras, providing optimized support to those cameras followed with an asterisk (*). Shoot JPEG? Using Aperture, you can import JPEG images from virtually all digital cameras.

Fujifilm
FinePix S2 Pro*
FinePix S3 Pro*

Does anyone know what this is about?

zoetropeuk
Sep 26, 2006, 07:15 AM
I am the owner of a Fuji S3 Pro and I bought Aperture 1 about a year ago ($499). And there was no support for Fujifilm Raw files. I returned the item to Apple.

I checked again today and the Fuji S3 Pro file format is now listed in the Camera Supported page Apple posted for Aperture 1.5 (http://www.apple.com/aperture/raw/cameras.html)

The web page says OPTIMIZED Support. see below

Aperture 1.5 supports the RAW formats from the following digital cameras, providing optimized support to those cameras followed with an asterisk (*). Shoot JPEG? Using Aperture, you can import JPEG images from virtually all digital cameras.

Fujifilm
FinePix S2 Pro*
FinePix S3 Pro*

Does anyone know what this is about?

Isn't it obvious :eek:

Platform
Sep 26, 2006, 07:36 AM
Great news, now put the update up on the server...I want it :D

840quadra
Sep 26, 2006, 10:24 AM
In full screen mode?

Mine is choppy. It's like "big steps" of change rather than anything I'd consider smooth. Definitely not precise enough, and not fast enough.

Yes,

That is the only way I edit photos now.

Does Lightroom have full screen editing ? If so, I cannot figure out how to activate it! :(

The full screen editing is going to be the #1 sales point, as that is all I use to edit photos at this point.

So far I am starting to like Lightroom more and more, however I am still liking the aperture interface better as it is similar to the iApps I am used to.

gugy
Sep 26, 2006, 11:16 AM

2. It's a free update.

so true.
This forum is mostly visited by whiners.
So many people wanted the MPB at a photography event. what a joke. they did not get it and now all the crying.
Basically you have just to ignore these folks if you want to have a nice experience at Macrumors.

imperium
Sep 26, 2006, 11:21 AM
so true.
This forum is mostly visited by whiners.
So many people wanted the MPB at a photography event. what a joke. they did not get it and now all the crying.
Basically you have just to ignore these folks if you want to have a nice experience at Macrumors.

Ignore me if you wish, but I'm pretty sad about not getting the machine promised by the rumour mill. I'm happy for y'all with your updated photo software, but wouldn't you have liked it to be true that we'd get a nice new C2D MBP to use it on?

transcend
Sep 26, 2006, 11:42 AM
What's hilarious is that you guys are arguing about beta software and a product that, up until this point, has been a huge disaster. Asking someone to rotate a raw image 180 degrees with a straightening tool is absurd. It isn't meant to do that. End of story.

I am not sure how many of you are professional photographers, but I can tell you that most of us have tried both products and are still using what works best: Iview media pro and C1 Pro (as well as photo mechanic for iptc info in batches). All 3 products have been around forever, and work flawlessly. What's comical, is that running all 3 of those apps concurently, is faster than running only aperture on my powerbook G4, as well as on my Mac Pro.

Aperture is a pig even on a shiny new mac pro compared to C1 and Iview. Lightroom just doesn't feel complete, and to be frank, the way the program is laid out is annoying as hell when you need to get things done quickly (like when filing from a football game, on deadline while sorting through 1000+ shots). It takes all day just to even get them imported into aperture, while I view does it in about 2 minutes. In 2 minutes, I can be choosing selects and sepertating the wheat from the chaff. This is not the case with either aperture or lightroom.

ChrisA
Sep 26, 2006, 11:42 AM
In a perfect world it would figure out your specs and use what it can.

Then it is pretty much a perfect world.

The guts of the Image Units are written in a subset of OpenGL Shading Langage and run on either the GPU or CPU as is appropriate for the hardware. But I don't know the gradularity. I think it is on a per Image Unit basis. So (say) "Gamma Adjust" might run on the GPU while "Perspective Transform" might run on a CPU. Where it runs is different dependiig on what hardware you have. Tiger's Core Image has about 100 Image Units and there is a way for programmers to add more. It is reasonable to asume that Aprture adds some of it's own.

This stuff is explained in some detail at http://developer.apple.com/

gugy
Sep 26, 2006, 11:45 AM
Ignore me if you wish, but I'm pretty sad about not getting the machine promised by the rumour mill. I'm happy for y'all with your updated photo software, but wouldn't you have liked it to be true that we'd get a nice new C2D MBP to use it on?

That's the whole point.
people just expect too much. Since they announced Photokina I was just being realistic and expecting things relate to photography. Maybe I am the only one.
The problem is that everybody starts making these crazy predictions and they get all pissed after.
We still have 17 minutes before 10am PT so hope exists for a Tuesday MBP update. if not there is always another Tuesday coming up the following week.:rolleyes:

ChrisA
Sep 26, 2006, 11:52 AM

a C2D MBP would give you what? Maybe a 20% speed bump. I doubt you'd notice except if you used a stop watch. For photographers and Videographers I doubt C2D would bing even a 20% boost as their main bottleneck is the speed of the disk.

Try this experiment: Bring up Activity Monitor and see if the CPU is as 100% if it is not a faster CPU will do nothing for you. On a Mac the CPU is at 100% mostly when transcoding or redering, those tasks will go faster after the speed bump

My gues is that the code re-work inside Aperture will speed things up MUCH more than a C2D could.

Some_Big_Spoon
Sep 26, 2006, 02:04 PM
Code optimization & tweaking is always good.. very good, but you'll eventually run up against the limitations of the processor. I've been having that issue for the past two weeks here at work. Disk usage hasn't been the problem, it's just me needing more horsepower than the dual G5 can muster.

a C2D MBP would give you what? Maybe a 20% speed bump. I doubt you'd notice except if you used a stop watch. For photographers and Videographers I doubt C2D would bing even a 20% boost as their main bottleneck is the speed of the disk.

Try this experiment: Bring up Activity Monitor and see if the CPU is as 100% if it is not a faster CPU will do nothing for you. On a Mac the CPU is at 100% mostly when transcoding or redering, those tasks will go faster after the speed bump

My gues is that the code re-work inside Aperture will speed things up MUCH more than a C2D could.

amin
Sep 26, 2006, 02:19 PM
I think this is fantastic news and can't wait to try Aperture 1.5. The only thing I don't like about Capture One is the lack of integration with iLife.

iGary
Sep 26, 2006, 04:56 PM
After all of the comments about how great Aperture ran, and considering how crappy it was running on mine, I decided to take into the Apple Store.

The video card is defective and they are replacing it. No wonder my experience with the program stunk.

:)

timnosenzo
Sep 26, 2006, 09:15 PM
After all of the comments about how great Aperture ran, and considering how crappy it was running on mine, I decided to take into the Apple Store.

The video card is defective and they are replacing it. No wonder my experience with the program stunk.

wow, that's good news (kind of)! hope it improves your experience... :)

Artful Dodger
Sep 26, 2006, 11:05 PM

Slightly OT but I hope you bought the AppleCare for your PM that you were thinking about a few weeks ago ;) Back OT, let us know how it is once you get it back :) :) two smiles for your troubles...

Russell L
Sep 27, 2006, 02:22 AM
For those of you running Aperture on a Mac Pro, did you notice the new RAM requirement on http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/? It says "2GB of RAM required for Mac Pro." I've been running Aperture just fine on my new Mac Pro with the standard 1GB of RAM. Like many new Mac Pro owners, I've been holding off on upgrading the RAM until it gets a little cheaper. The 1.5 update installer better not refuse to install on my Mac because of insufficient RAM; I'll be pretty upset if it does. :(

Russell

rodpascoe
Sep 27, 2006, 03:58 PM
Isn't it obvious :eek:

Not to me? I've been wondering what optimized support means too! I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the Fuji S3 support! Hooray! :p

rodpascoe
Sep 27, 2006, 04:01 PM
For those of you running Aperture on a Mac Pro, did you notice the new RAM requirement on http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/? It says "2GB of RAM required for Mac Pro." I've been running Aperture just fine on my new Mac Pro with the standard 1GB of RAM. Like many new Mac Pro owners, I've been holding off on upgrading the RAM until it gets a little cheaper. The 1.5 update installer better not refuse to install on my Mac because of insufficient RAM; I'll be pretty upset if it does. :(

Russell

Same here, price is £300 for 2 1gig sticks here in the UK, so I've been waiting too. Would Apple release an upgrade that could conceivably be automatically installed via software update that would then cripple software you've paid £350 for? Hope not :(

Earendil
Sep 27, 2006, 04:10 PM

My comments on having the video card do some heavy lifting, and how that's a good idea for the majority of users ,only applies to those that have a video card :rolleyes:
Without a video card I completely agree with you that it would be faster to use the 4 procs :D

iGary
Sep 28, 2006, 10:49 AM
Well I got it back today (tried it out at the Genius Bar before I left the store) and it's working brilliantly.

Now I have to change my whole workflow again. :(

tvguru
Sep 28, 2006, 10:55 AM
Well I got it back today (tried it out at the Genius Bar before I left the store) and it's working brilliantly.

Now I have to change my whole workflow again. :(

Glad you got thing sorted thought. *crosses fingers*

timnosenzo
Sep 28, 2006, 11:19 AM
I wonder what the hold up is with releasing this update? :o

ericschmerick
Sep 28, 2006, 12:09 PM

Russell

I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's because of the quad cores. I suspect that each "set" of cores needs plenty of memory to stay fed and happy.

EE

ericschmerick
Sep 28, 2006, 12:12 PM
I wonder what the hold up is with releasing this update? :o

Yeah man, I've been waiting too! I think I've checked software update more in the last 3 days than I have in the last year.

I wonder if 10.4.8 is required? There was a separate thread about 10.4.8 being close to done. As I understand it, the RAW conversion stuff is built into the OS, so I wonder if there's a co-dependency between the two updates.

Anyway, I'm hoping "this week" means tomorrow, not Sunday.

EE

ericschmerick
Sep 28, 2006, 12:25 PM
Aperture runs fine on my MBP 15" 2.0ghz. I have 2GB of ram, and I've definitely noticed that it'll use almost all of it. After 1 hr or so of working with images, I've seen it using 1.5GB+ of ram. So I suspect if you're running it with 1GB, you're missing out on some level of performance.

I agree, the rotate/straighten tool sucks hard. I've found that it's really hard to move the mouse precisely enough, and the click buttons on each side go up/down by 1 degree! Too much for each step.

I think the thing I love more than anything is not having an intermediate format. Working directly with RAW, and just leaving everything in that format until I'm ready to output, is terrific. I'm not a huge photoshopper, so once an image is sharpened, straightened, and levels adjusted, I'm usually done. So I'm not outputting a TIFF and bouncing into PS much. That might make a big difference in how you think about the value of aperture. I can't even imagine managing a whole separate collection of TIFFs, like I used to, now that I'm working directly with RAW.

The actual RAW "conversion" (if it can still be called that) and adjustment process, for me, is about the same speed than C1 or PS was. I have iView Pro as well with well over 10,000 images in databases, and it's terrific, but I'm not using it any more.

EE

peas
Sep 28, 2006, 12:39 PM
what sucks is that academic ve4rsions are not allowed this free update.
what bs. considering i just bought the freakin app not more than 3 weeks ago.

twoodcc
Sep 28, 2006, 12:41 PM

man that does stink. i'm disappointed in apple

timnosenzo
Sep 28, 2006, 12:45 PM
where did you see that? :confused:

timnosenzo
Sep 28, 2006, 12:48 PM
from the product page in the Apple EDU store:

Aperture 1.5 - Academic

Introducing the first all-in-one post-production tool for photographers. Built from the ground up for professionals, Aperture offers an advanced RAW workflow, professional project management capabilities, powerful compare and select tools, nondestructive image processing, and versatile printing and publishing.

Free Aperture 1.5 Update: All current owners of Aperture will automatically receive the free upgrade to Aperture 1.5 via Software Update.

Price: $149.00

http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-5009/WebObjects/EducationIndividual.woa/6684005/wo/9y2fOou3D6pv2jLKFLj1FO9UjpY/0.PSLID?mco=377D2568&nplm=MA716Z%2FA

ChrisBrightwell
Sep 28, 2006, 12:50 PM
what sucks is that academic ve4rsions are not allowed this free update.Where did you read that?

Academic versions aren't eligible for the next upgrade, but this isn't an upgrade. This is an update.

robbieduncan
Sep 28, 2006, 12:50 PM

Academic version are allowed this update. The support forums say so:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=661567&tstart=75
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3222989�

It's only paid for updates you are not eligible for...

peas
Sep 28, 2006, 12:56 PM
sweet, guess i need to read between the lines more.
i just noticed on the box cover it had a monster sticker on it that said
NO UPDATES ON ACADEMIC VERSIONS so i figured this .5 update wouldnt be allowed.

thanks for the heads up

MacCurry
Sep 28, 2006, 01:41 PM
Is the update available now?

ChrisBrightwell
Sep 28, 2006, 02:00 PM
Is the update available now?Don't think so, but I'm not near a Mac w/ 'net access.

Marky Mark
Sep 28, 2006, 03:15 PM
Is the update available now?

Just ran software update and there are updates for all the iLife apps.

It specifically states 'avoid incompatibility with Aperture 1.5". I guess they're adding the Aperture integration so it can't be far away!

conradzoo
Sep 28, 2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah, updating all the i-apps updates right now. The Aperture update is next. Tomo? Could be. :o