Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple held their Photokina Media Event today and announced Aperture 1.5.

Aperture 1.5 provides more iLife integration, plug-in support for Internet services, and advanced library and editing features. The new features are summarized on this page. Improvements include:

Flexible Library Manangement
iLife '06 and iWork '06 Integration
Export Metadata Automatically
Advanced Color Controls
Edge Sharpen
Speed Metadata Entry with Presets
Improved Loupe
iPod Sync
and more...

It is a free update to existing Aperture owners and should be available later this week. Apple's website has been updated to reflect the new version.

Article Link: Apple Announces Aperture 1.5

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
I'd like to say that this update really makes Aperture fully integrated with the rest of Apple products. Love it and will buy asap.

Well. was hoping to buy it pre-installed on a core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. but now... may buy a 24" imac or mac pro instead. tired of waiting for that model

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
Great day for photographers. Hope this update increases your productivity and capital.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
So... what are we supposed to run this monstrosity on? The G5 QUADS had a hard enough time running the first one. I can't imagine running this on an iMac or worse... a mac mini.

JOKE JOKE JOKE

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Why are people rating this news as negative? It seems like a decent update to a good program, and it's free for existing Aperture users. What were you expecting?

wtmcgee

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
Orlando
Seems like a solid update to Aperture. I'm curious to see if there is a flickrexport-type feature included in this plug-in api mentioned. That's the one thing I miss from when I previously used iPhoto.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Glad to see an update but I wish they made it a little more professional over now becoming a consumer product....but a free upgrade is always nice.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
So how many people rated the news of Aperture being updated as negative just because you whiners didn't get what you wanted, i.e. a different product release? Huh?

Get over yourselves. Not every Apple event is about what you want. As a photographer this is great news, not "ok" news or even "bad" news. As an Apple users it's decent news because Apple is growing and developing.

[/rant]

I would have liked to see some performance gains from the software. Perhaps they are there, they just weren't mentioned.

~Tyler

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
donlphi said:
So... what are we supposed to run this monstrosity on? The G5 QUADS had a hard enough time running the first one. I can't imagine running this on an iMac or worse... a mac mini.

JOKE JOKE JOKE
And to think, I can run Lightroom on a G4 mini...

bikertwin

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
This Old House
atari1356 said:
Why are people rating this news as negative? It seems like a decent update to a good program, and it's free for existing Aperture users. What were you expecting?

Yeah, it leaves me scratching my head. Huh? How could any of these features--which people have been screaming for--be bad news?

Or is that the MacBookPro weenies whining that there was no update? Losers.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
yeah i dont get the negative votes.
the update is good news. people should separate the issues. i voted positive. even tough i would have loved to order a new macbook pro today.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Waits for an iGary™ post regarding this!

Anyway, this is good news. I am seriously looking into purchasing this. I am now taking over 1gb of photos at each motocross event I am going to recently. That is allot considering i am also racing those events (taking pictures of other races duh! )

So far I am not impressed with the Adobe offering unveiled today. Unless I am doing something wrong, it doesn't seem to have full screen editing features ?

I need something more with more power than iPhoto, and would love to be able to batch edit, and Watermark (can Aperture even do this ? )

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Everyone needs to stop complaining about no laptop refreshes.

Photokina is an event for photographers. What does a portable, inferior to desktops, have to do with any of this? Cinema Displays do because they're used on the powerful DESKTOPS, mainly, that Aperture users may have. But they've been recently updated (within the past few months).

Yeah, it would have been nice to have other Apple updates. I'm not cutting my wrists because Apple didn't do another preview of OSX. This was a Photography-related event. That's it.

Regardless, there's no reason to have expected anything except an Aperture update. Get over yourselves.

-=|Mgkwho

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
donlphi said:

JOKE JOKE JOKE

According to the new features list for Aperture 1.5

"Run Aperture on any Intel-based Mac. Any desktop, including Mac mini, iMac, and Mac Pro. Or any notebook, including MacBook and MacBook Pro.
"

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
I think Apple...

held the event on a Monday nowing that Adobe was going to announce a new Beta of Lightroom -- and wanted to either steal their thunder or at least get there bit in

this doesn't mean there will not be any updates to the MBP on Tuesday.

BTW -- how many makers of Windows laptops have versions with the new chips? This is not a smartass comment - just wanting to know

And I think i might go out and get me-self Aperture

ariel

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
840quadra said:
I need something more with more power than iPhoto, and would love to be able to batch edit, and Watermark (can Aperture even do this ? )

Yes Aperture can apply your watermark on export. You can do all sorts of bulk edits as well with the lift/stamp tool etc.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
arn said:

"Run Aperture on any Intel-based Mac. Any desktop, including Mac mini, iMac, and Mac Pro. Or any notebook, including MacBook and MacBook Pro.
"

That is good to know, because 1.1.2 runs like crap on a Quad with a 6800GT and 8GB of RAM. Unacceptable, really. I basically abandoned the workflow and went back to Photoshop. I can actually get work done that way.

Aperture IS great for cataloguing, though, so for that, I am grateful.

Glad 1.5 ia a free update, too.

iAlan said:
this doesn't mean there will not be any updates to the MBP on Tuesday.

I totally agree - today was NOT the time and place, though. ;)

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
840quadra said:
Actually neither Lightroom or Aperture can do watermarks (other than EXIF data.).

And according to ariel above, I'm wrong about Aperture :) Oh well.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The reasons people HATE this new version so much:

1. It adds a lot of features and answers requests.

2. It's a free update.

3. This is a photography event, and people were caught off guard when Apple showed their photography product, despite the Aperture image right on the invitation.

4. Apple never releases hardware on Tuesdays, so there is no hope for any MacBook Pro updates tomorrow.

5. There will never be another chance for new MacBook Pros. We now know that the current models will be sold forever and ever, even after Apple goes out of business, which will happen by the end of the year.

:p

ariel

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
arn said:

"

Just FYI, I'm running Aperture with 17k+ images on an iMac 24" 2.1ghz G5 - sometimes slow, but heck i'm doing it and drooling over the 1.5 update

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
atari1356 said:

Because they didn't announce MacBook Pro's with Core 2 Duo! Why else?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
nagromme said:
The reasons people HATE this new version so much:

1. It adds a lot of features and answers requests.

2. It's a free update.

3. This is a photography event, and people were caught off guard when Apple showed their photography product, despite the Aperture image right on the invitation.

4. Apple never releases hardware on Tuesdays, so there is no hope for any MacBook Pro updates tomorrow.

5. There will never be another chance for new MacBook Pros. We now know that the current models will be sold forever and ever, even after Apple goes out of business, which will happen by the end of the year.

:p
Why it's obvious why people hate this update so much. In fact I'm almost tempted to get Aperture to manage my photos (Academic discount, 3,000 images, 500 photos <3)

Now I just wish my earlier comments were still here. Tomorrow is Tuesday.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
I suppose there could be a bit of news here for non-photographers.

As I understand it, Aperture uses OS X's built-in RAW image processing. If I remember rightly, the last Aperture update accompanied an OS X update. So it's possible 10.4.8 could be just around the corner (i.e. sometime this week?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.