PDA

View Full Version : Folding outlook...

Rower_CPU
Apr 4, 2003, 07:14 PM
With our output increasing steadily it's fun to stop and do a little projection of where we could end up among the top teams.

We're outproducing 10 teams ahead of us and being outproduced by only 2 teams, so we can expect to eventually be in 25th place (8 places up from our current position) if things were to remain exactly as they are now.

I expect us to keep going up, as we have new members still joining up almost daily.

I'd also like to take a look at creating our own F@H stats page(s), so if anyone out there already has some experience with F@H stats or would like to help out, just PM me and we'll see what happens. :)

Stelliform
Apr 4, 2003, 08:31 PM
I think our membership will keep on increasing... I know I still look for opportunities to bring in new people.

As for the stats page I would love to help out. I will do some poking around to see how it can be done.....

I mean after all, a team that is going to rank 25 needs a stats page! :D

Rower_CPU
Apr 5, 2003, 03:43 PM
According to this page (http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/folding/teams/detail_3446.html) we'll be the number 1 Mac team by late July, at everyone's current output.

I can remember thinking we'd never catch up to MacAddict, much less Team Mac OS X...amazing. :)

chibianh
Apr 5, 2003, 03:55 PM
i work at my school's main computing center and there are literally hundreds of computer's whose idle CPU power are wasted. Of course, though, most of them run windows and i already got a NO from the admins to fold on all of them. The unix admins just let me use ONE mac to fold 24/7 for now. Anyway, I wanna contribute by tapping into the massive P4 power resevoir. Is there anyway to get processes running in the background of Windowz machines on a network? I have a limited roaming profile and do not have admin privileges. I'm not looking to get it running on ALL those machines.. just maybe a few.. if not, i still got my comps folding. btw, is it right to use peecees to crunch for a mac team? ;)

bousozoku
Apr 5, 2003, 03:57 PM
Yes, most of the big power is coming from PCs on this team now.

It seems weird to me though.

Rower_CPU
Apr 5, 2003, 04:00 PM
It's a matter of availability. More people have access to labs of PCs than labs of Macs.

We're lucky enough to have both. :)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 5, 2003, 05:31 PM
If we make #1 this summer that will be fantastic. But if the 970s come in, there might be some reajustments for what ever team gets the most of the new machines.

Still, its looking good!

D

Zeke
Apr 5, 2003, 05:57 PM
There is a way (if you can install software) to make folding run hidden. It's still visible in the process viewer but if no one complains about speed (which they won't since you can't tell anything then...who cares). I posted this a few days ago in another thread here but it seems to be gone now. In any case, download Electron Microscope from http://home.attbi.com/~wxdude1/emsite/em3.html Follow the instructions to set it up and make sure to select "Launch F@H at Start-up," "Start EM in system tray", and "Hide F@H at Start." Turn off all the sound and display options. Then you have to make it startup when the computer starts up which you can do in regedit (from start:run). Do a search for that because I think you can probably make it launch even if no one is logged in but I'm not sure. That's how I've done it and the only way to see that F@H is running is to look at the process viewer. And most people don't know what FAH_core is...so, what's the loss. Hope this helps. If you need any more help let me know.

Zeke
Apr 5, 2003, 06:13 PM
I forgot to mention in the options for Electron Microscope set stealth mode on. This is important as otherwise it is in the system tray.

Also, I haven't tried leaving the computer logged off but it seems like if you go into regedit under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:Software:Microsoft:Windows:CurrentVersion:Run and right click in the upper right box that says (Default) and maybe some other stuff. When you right click, select new string and type something indicative like F@H. After that, right click on it again and modify editing the path to your EMIII file. This will launch EMIII (I think) when the computer turns on. I know it's running when someone logs on but I can't check processes on Windows from a separate computer (I don't think) and I don't have time to log it off and see if it gets further folding. Maybe I'll try it and let you know tonight.

Zeke