PDA

View Full Version : Yet another stupid quark question

munckee
Sep 26, 2006, 02:31 PM
I have a text box with two columns of text in it. I want the text to be justified to the entire width of the box in the two columns, other than the initial indentation. How the heck do I do that?

I would have thought that simply setting the text to "forced" would accomplish this, but it doesn't. My last line is a few characters short and other than messing with it for the next hour, I don't know how to make it fit the space.

Blue Velvet
Sep 26, 2006, 02:40 PM
If I understand you right, try setting up an H&J to permit a huge max word space (500%), then try forced, applying your H&J as a format. You could also get really ugly and permit a max character space of 20-30%... or more, then applying great wadges of kerning all over the place. :eek:

Why do you want commit this crime against typography? :p

On the other hand, if you want to neatly finish a column at the end of a line, try some subtle tracking and kerning, a (combination) of tighter and looser H&Js, and some careful character scaling (no less than 99%).

munckee
Sep 26, 2006, 03:48 PM
Got it figured out with some help here at work.

Simple answer: set justification to "forced" and add a hard return after the last word. It will stretch out the final line across the usable space.

Blue Velvet
Sep 26, 2006, 03:49 PM
Got it figured out with some help here at work.

Simple answer: set justification to "forced" and add a hard return after the last word. It will stretch out the final line across the usable space.

Yes, it will. But does it look nice?